2023 NFL Discussion

rico

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

I think it's more likely that it did fit in the context of the conversation he was having with his good friend and partner, and he got in a little jab like a lot of us would do towards a buddy. Then he quickly caught himself.

In terms of nothingburgers, this is a full pound burger. 

Spot on, this is completely nothing. Two friends having fun with each other.

You can probably bet that during a future telecast this season that Joe Buck will find a way to work in a shot at UCLA to playfully get back at Aikman. 

It almost says more about IU fans than anything else because of how worked up some are over this. 

• Like 6

The Aikman thing pissed me off when I first heard him say it.  Then, about 5 seconds later, I remembered that Buck went to IU and realized it was a playful jab.  Most of the viewing audience, however, probably does not realize the Buck / IU connection.  Truth be told, it wasn't a mind-blowing play by Hendershot.  The only reason Buck said what he did was because he also went to IU.  If Hendershot had went to Missouri (random school), Buck doesn't say it that way.  He congratulates Hendershot on his first NFL catch and moves on.  

So, while it's nothing, the IU coaching staff should still use it as a motivational tool.

• Thanks 1

Is it just me or is the NFL games getting more boring the last few years. Here bare a couple of my reasons for it being boring.

1) The refs or the rules itself. Way to many penalities called for things that aren't or shouldn't be a penalty.

2) They are taking out any personality out of the game and making everything vanilla.

3) They took out the big hits in the game and call penalities on the softest things.

4) They took away pretty much all of the return game.

5) They now make it hard to recover on side kicks to where btjere is pretty much no chance to recover it.

6) It also seems like offenses are not getting good to start this year

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Not worked up at all, nor would I have found this funny had it been about Purdue, Notre Dame or anyone else.

Just found it in poor taste, and not something pertinent to an NFL broadcast.

It honestly didn't even register with me until your posts about it. 

So, while I didn't find it in poor taste, I've spent a lot more time talking about it than I ever would have because you aren't worked up over it. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Is it just me or is the NFL games getting more boring the last few years. Here bare a couple of my reasons for it being boring.

1) The refs or the rules itself. Way to many penalities called for things that aren't or shouldn't be a penalty.

2) They are taking out any personality out of the game and making everything vanilla.

3) They took out the big hits in the game and call penalities on the softest things.

4) They took away pretty much all of the return game.

5) They now make it hard to recover on side kicks to where btjere is pretty much no chance to recover it.

6) It also seems like offenses are not getting good to start this year

I agree with a couple of your points but to me, the product is still exciting.  NFL football to me is the number one sport.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

No but I think New Orleans is in play and worse case scenario Minnesota 

New Orleans is definitely in play with the Saints being in London.  I was looking at the schedule and if nothing else works out, the NFL has a pretty easy schedule change as an option.  The Bucs scheduled bye is Week 11.  The Chiefs play the Chargers Week 11.  The Chiefs & Chargers share a bye on Week 8.  So, move the Chiefs/Bucs to Week 11 and the Chiefs/Chargers to Week 8.  The only obstacle is that the Chargers share a stadium with the Rams, who are home Week 8.  So, in order to make such a move, they would have to make Chiefs/Chargers a Monday night game.   

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

New Orleans is definitely in play with the Saints being in London.  I was looking at the schedule and if nothing else works out, the NFL has a pretty easy schedule change as an option.  The Bucs scheduled bye is Week 11.  The Chiefs play the Chargers Week 11.  The Chiefs & Chargers share a bye on Week 8.  So, move the Chiefs/Bucs to Week 11 and the Chiefs/Chargers to Week 8.  The only obstacle is that the Chargers share a stadium with the Rams, who are home Week 8.  So, in order to make such a move, they would have to make Chiefs/Chargers a Monday night game.   

Why not at New England?

15 hours ago, IU Scott said:

More athletic players

Stadiums are better 

TV production is better 

More games to choose from

So if the players are more athletic why is the play worse in your mind? 

It would seem like it has to be the coaches, owners, league execs, etc. that have made all the changes you don't like to rules, schemes, and the like. Is that a fair assumption? 

48 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

So if the players are more athletic why is the play worse in your mind? 

It would seem like it has to be the coaches, owners, league execs, etc. that have made all the changes you don't like to rules, schemes, and the like. Is that a fair assumption? 

I am not saying it is actually worse but the last couple of years it hasn't been as entertaining.  I think a lot of it is they have made the rules to where it has made the game harder to watch.  I get protecting players but what constitutes roughing the passer or unnecessary roughness is to soft for me. I do think that coaches in all sports micro manage way to much instead of letting players just play.  Back in the day QB's would call their own plays because they knew the offense and the week of practice gave them time to prepare.

20 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am not saying it is actually worse but the last couple of years it hasn't been as entertaining.  I think a lot of it is they have made the rules to where it has made the game harder to watch.  I get protecting players but what constitutes roughing the passer or unnecessary roughness is to soft for me. I do think that coaches in all sports micro manage way to much instead of letting players just play.  Back in the day QB's would call their own plays because they knew the offense and the week of practice gave them time to prepare.

I don't know how effective it is for a modern QB to draw imaginary routes on his palm in the huddle during the 2-minute drill.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Sure that is what happened back then LOL! So are you saying today's athletes aren't smart enough to do this

I'm sure there are instances. Joe Burrow had a few of these last year in the playoffs...

But as a whole, the players are too good, the schemes too dialed in to simply "wing it".

The chess-match of schemes and plays can be just as intriguing as the athleticism of the players.

Edited by MoyeCowbell
  • Like 1