Around the B1G/NCAA

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Could be a good game today between the Spartans and the Buckeyes. Interesting to see how the Buckeyes new coach does.

So far it seems they're doing pretty good

This a big game for Bucknut nation.  One that can define a season.

I think Holtmann was a huge get for OSU.   That being said, I think that Archie Miller would have done just as well there.

Holtmann just had to change some terminology to his own, but those players were used to playing that type of system already.

Archie has had to completely revamp the system at IU and run the old system through the shredder.

4 minutes ago, iufaninand said:

I think Holtmann was a huge get for OSU.   That being said, I think that Archie Miller would have done just as well there.

Holtmann just had to change some terminology to his own, but those players were used to playing that type of system already.

Archie has had to completely revamp the system at IU and run the old system through the shredder.

You also have to look at the circumstances around the previous coaches' departures.

Matta was struggling but the primary factor in his firing was his health. I am speculating here, but under those circumstances, I think it was easier for the returning players to rationalize that a change needed to be made... making the buy in to Holtmann's regime much easier.

I really think that some of our kids were torn when Crean was fired ... at least one couldn't adapt and chose to leave. Not only has Archie had to instill his systems, but I think that he has had an ongoing challenge in getting his players to forget Crean and accept that there is a new sheriff in town.

I am excited for the future with CAM. Glad that we hired him and confident that we will be happy he is our coach as the future plays out

25 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

You also have to look at the circumstances around the previous coaches' departures.

Matta was struggling but the primary factor in his firing was his health. I am speculating here, but under those circumstances, I think it was easier for the returning players to rationalize that a change needed to be made... making the buy in to Holtmann's regime much easier.

I really think that some of our kids were torn when Crean was fired ... at least one couldn't adapt and chose to leave. Not only has Archie had to instill his systems, but I think that he has had an ongoing challenge in getting his players to forget Crean and accept that there is a new sheriff in town.

I am excited for the future with CAM. Glad that we hired him and confident that we will be happy he is our coach as the future plays out

I couldn't agree more.

I think it was fortunate that we were able to get CAM before the OSU job came open.

I'm thinking we will be consistently in the national scene in a few more years.

47 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Interesting bit of trivia.... When Holtman was with Butler last year, they beat then #1 Nova. Fast forward to this year and he has done it again against #1 MSU.

The only other coach to do that in back to back years with different schools??? Thad Matta

Very interesting.  If memory serves me correct, Matta at Xavier beating St. Joe's and then at tOSU beating Illinois?

57 minutes ago, bstall76 said:

Bates-Diop is also one hell of a player, he was top 30 coming out of high school and is playing like, he is front runner for B1G POY right now.  Matta may still be at OSU if Bates-Diop had not gotten hurt last year.

Once CAM gets his players in, the Hoosier/Buckeyes rivalry could heat back up

1 hour ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Interesting bit of trivia.... When Holtman was with Butler last year, they beat then #1 Nova. Fast forward to this year and he has done it again against #1 MSU.

The only other coach to do that in back to back years with different schools??? Thad Matta

16 minutes ago, rico said:

Very interesting.  If memory serves me correct, Matta at Xavier beating St. Joe's and then at tOSU beating Illinois?

When I read the post from Proud, I assumed it was Rico!

The overrated chant went up in Columbus with just over two minutes left in the game.  But did not last.  And despite beating the currently number one ranked team in the nation, there was no court storming....... OSU fans acting and behaving like they have been there before.

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

The overrated chant went up in Columbus with just over two minutes left in the game.  But did not last.  And despite beating the currently number one ranked team in the nation, there was no court storming....... OSU fans acting and behaving like they have been there before.

Two questions...how many people were there? Did students have tickets, they don't start back from break until tomorrow so they may not have student tickets for the game?

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Two questions...how many people were there? Did students have tickets, they don't start back from break until tomorrow so they may not have student tickets for the game?

Can't answer to the actual attendance.  However, the place looked packed to me.   However.... you do raise a good point about classes not being in attendance. 

I will offer that students have not returned officially to classes at Colorado either..... yet they stormed the court twice since Thursday, and Saturday. 

Not saying Colorado was wrong, in storming the court twice, beating top 15 teams.  Nor OSU wrong in not storming the court in beating a number one rated team.  Just stating what I observed over this past weekend. 

Archived