Around the B1G/NCAA

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, hoosierfan615 said:

My bad^^^OG didnt get injured until the beginning of 2017. I still contend though that missing Hull’s sharpshooting against Syracuse was huge though!

Robert Johnson’s ankle wasn’t right in 2016 though because he hurt it badly against Purdue that year.

I repsect.our misguided friend, boiler.

His team took a beating. He is a regular member here and he flat did not go into hiding or avoid taking the punches from us IU fans.

He has horrible taste in sports. But I am glad he posts here whether things are going good or bad for his team.

Oh, and Purdue was losing last night. Haas or no Hass, imo.

Tough matchup.

10 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

How are you measuring athleticism? He's not quicker but I would contend her is more athletic than their bigs. 

I'll take a crack at it! Athleticism is a combination of strength, coordination, power, balance. Jaren is very skilled that's why the scouts love him so much because he can step outside and shoot it, has a nice frame, and good timing on blocks. Jackson is just 18 tho and is a little weak, gets pushed off balance and is still growing into his body. The TT backcourt was full of grown men who were a lot stronger and just mature. If you have ever played at the college level like I have you would understand there is a huge difference from being 18 compared to 21-22 and in some cases 23. 18 you are still a boy, 21-22 you are a man. That's why it's so hard to win with freshmen in college a lot of times they are just not thier yet mentally or physically when it comes to competing against men 3-4 years older. Especially a guy like Jackson who needs more time to grow into his frame, pack on some muscle, and really understated how to use his size and body and play the game. Heck he still may grow another inch or two. 

3 years from now Jackson will be in the NBA and better than all those guys. Last night I'd rather have the TT bigs cuz Jackson just isn't there yet. 

7 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

I respect.our misguided friend, boiler.

His team took a beating. He is a regular member here and he flat did not go into hiding or avoid taking the punches from us IU fans.

He has horrible taste in sports. But I am glad he posts here whether things are going good or bad for his team.

Tough matchup.

Instead he got on here looking for a fight, and to blame the loss on an injury lol.  I guess I am seeing this differently than you ;)

It's just nice to put the fantasy of a toiletmaker national championship to bed. In a year of upsets and mediocrity the Smellermakers don't even get close. That should tell you all you need to know about their national standing.

Harms got exposed last night and Carson had to be thinking that as little help as he had last night, it's going to be a lot worse next year.  Assuming he stays, I'd almost guarantee his efficiency will suffer without four seniors on the floor to relieve the pressure.

It will be fun to watch the progression of both IU and the toiletmakers next year. I'm looking forward to the natural order being restored.

36 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

Smith was the main TT BIG that was on another level from Jackson. 

This.  I also would put jumping ability, not just height of the jump but the quickness of the jump.  Again I’ve never said Jackson isn’t athletic just that he isn’t as athletic as some of the TT bigs.

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

How are you measuring athleticism? He's not quicker but I would contend her is more athletic than their bigs. 

I really like Jackson. But I've watched TTU 3 straight games now and twice during the season. Their bigs are CRAZY athletic. 

1 hour ago, bluegrassIU said:

I repsect.our misguided friend, boiler.

Tough matchup.

I want to add to your post.  

"No Haas" is what Roberto Duran said!!!!!!

After watching Chris Beard and his teams a few times....can't help be impressed. Can't help but smile just a tad thinking his time with Knight has helped in a small way. Very impressive coach. I think we discussed in another thread up and coming potential young/very good coaches...might as well throw his hat in there. Only 45. Has beaten Purdue twice now with 2 different teams on national stage. 

My guess is if Shaka doesn't start ramping things up in the coming few seasons....Horns might come calling. Although his 3 kids live in the area so that might make Tech his job for the long haul. 

On 3/19/2018 at 10:12 AM, Hoosierhoopster said:

This is a question that's a good one, but is just going to remain a matter of dispute.

My thinking on the balance has been that if your team / coach is consistently competing towards the top in conference, then the tourney resume should be taken care of, as 1) that level of winning in a strong conference should reflect good coaching/recruiting that should translate to the tourney, and 2) the higher seeds you get in tourney play, as a result of strong conference play, should eventually turn into deep runs in the tourney.

That's not absolute or fool proof (Bennett has had 1 SW16 and 1 EE while at UVA, despite very strong conference play), but usually it pans out. While I think Crean is unfairly maligned on here and not given the credit that his 2 conference titles, 3 SW16's and 4 tourney appearances reflect, I see his inability to achieve consistency at IU -- regularly competing for conference titles, and not 1-2 year complete fall offs, which in turn I think was a result of his inability to build strong class depth -- as the reason he wasn't (and probably shouldn't) have been given more time for more tourney runs. He likely would've gotten IU back to at least the SW16, and I think a deeper run was likely, but it also likely would've come with multiple years of disappointing conference and tourney results.

So I think how long you give a guy depends on how well the guy is competing, regularly, in conference play, in recruiting, and in getting to the tourney.

Good stuff! Crean's recruiting was the key to both his wins and his down fall here. While getting good players who left early for the NBA, won him conference titles, he didn't recruit well enough to over come those players leaving. He never reloaded enough or took recruiting advantage of winning titles. Sweet 16's aren't good enough to get top players every year.

2 hours ago, 5 championships said:

I'll take a crack at it! Athleticism is a combination of strength, coordination, power, balance. Jaren is very skilled that's why the scouts love him so much because he can step outside and shoot it, has a nice frame, and good timing on blocks. Jackson is just 18 tho and is a little weak, gets pushed off balance and is still growing into his body. The TT backcourt was full of grown men who were a lot stronger and just mature. If you have ever played at the college level like I have you would understand there is a huge difference from being 18 compared to 21-22 and in some cases 23. 18 you are still a boy, 21-22 you are a man. That's why it's so hard to win with freshmen in college a lot of times they are just not thier yet mentally or physically when it comes to competing against men 3-4 years older. Especially a guy like Jackson who needs more time to grow into his frame, pack on some muscle, and really understated how to use his size and body and play the game. Heck he still may grow another inch or two. 

3 years from now Jackson will be in the NBA and better than all those guys. Last night I'd rather have the TT bigs cuz Jackson just isn't there yet. 

I respectfully disagree with you.  Physical maturity and athleticism are two totally different things.  Just because I’m 31, more physically mature and stronger than a 20 year old, doesn’t mean I’m more athletic than them.  I didn’t really see their big guys stretch the defense all that much, and I didn’t see them get the ball up top and take their defender off of the dribble either.  Both of those things are things Jackson does very well, and I think that’s where I get that he’s very athletic.  He handles the ball really well and can get to the hole at 6’10”. If I were to rank the traits of athleticism in order of importance it would be, coordination/fluidity, speed, jumping ability, and then strength.  To your point, I would argue that an 18 year old Lebron James coming out of high school was more athletic than what he is today, yet he’s stronger and a better bball player today than he was back then.

10 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

I respectfully disagree with you.  Physical maturity and athleticism are two totally different things.  Just because I’m 31, more physically mature and stronger than a 20 year old, doesn’t mean I’m more athletic than them.  I didn’t really see their big guys stretch the defense all that much, and I didn’t see them get the ball up top and take their defender off of the dribble either.  Both of those things are things Jackson does very well, and I think that’s where I get that he’s very athletic.  He handles the ball really well and can get to the hole at 6’10”. If I were to rank the traits of athleticism in order of importance it would be, coordination/fluidity, speed, jumping ability, and then strength.  To your point, I would argue that an 18 year old Lebron James coming out of high school was more athletic than what he is today, yet he’s stronger and a better bball player today than he was back then.

You hit the nail on the head sir. Well said. 

Archived