Coronavirus

Reacher

2 hours ago, DWB said:

You may, and probably are correct that there are cases of the virus near me. But there are NO deaths. As of this morning the US has only endured 80 deaths nationwide, and 25+ are from the nursing home in Washington state.

My point was that while the reported number of cases will undoubtedly increase with increased testing, that does not automatically translate into a sudden rise in deaths.

I'm upset that the media, both print and video in a large proportion automatically ASSUME that if you get the Corona virus, you're either dead, or going into ICU. I don't believe that will be the case at all. High risk people will likely require some form of intense care, but for the vast majority of Americans, we'll be no worse off than the seasonal flu.

And now there is a generic drug that shows real promise for therapeutic treatment of the virus...quickly.

The messaging has been really bad especially why the need to social distance. Case and point, when people keep saying it will be no worse than the seasonal flu. This thinking is missing the point and not necessarily the reason why medical experts are calling for self-isolation. 

From what I understand, the danger is not so much that it infects people, it's how quickly it spreads through and infects the population. The flu is not as big of a threat to older people or the medically compromised, but most importantly it doesn't get everybody sick all at one time. The 300,000 or so of flu cases are for the most part spread out over 8-9 months. The question you need to ask yourself, is what would happen if 250k of those 300k flu cases hit in a span 2-3 weeks? Would our healthcare system be prepared for it? This is the coronavirus threat - the speed that it spreads. 

Right now people are able to receive treatment and be put on ventilators, which is keeping the death toll low. What happens when they can't receive treatment? The closest regional hospital to me has 35 ICU beds. What happens if these are all filled when the infections spike 2-3 weeks from now? Where does that 36th and 37th person go?

A big portion of the population will ultimately get coronavirus. The effort being made now is not necessarily for people to avoid getting infected completely - it's so that we all don't get infected at one time. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I am over 70. With no underlying health issues. But....  Haven't left the house for days. Other than to take the trash out, get the mail, and pick up the newspaper.  During that time I have washed my hands more than I can ever remember.  More than in a normal two weeks. I don't think I am panicking.  Just being cautious, based on stories like this.

Thanks for the share.

I am 69 and in pretty good health. My wife is not far behind me. Yesterday, I went to work and later, we both went to lunch. After that we went to the grocery store. Later that evening my son gave me a lot of grief for stepping out of the house. I told him I am not giving in to the panic hysteria and I will continue as normal (as can be anyway). 

Speaking of work, I am self-employed (20 plus years). And yesterday one of my major accounts, a hospital, called and said they were temporarily suspending my service until further notice. Needless to say, my business will be taking a big hit, as many other businesses will as well. 

We will get through this

24 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

Just got the cancellation call this morning. I am not surprised since my wife works at the hospital and they are really tightening the screws.

On a positive note I was feeling tremendous pressure to finish the total bathroom renovation. I can now slow the pace down and maybe sleep in.

I have attached a couple pics and I apologize for somewhat hijacking the thread.

IMG_20200313_131049445.jpg

IMG_20200313_131006343_MP.jpg

IMG_20200313_131003539.jpg

IMG_20200314_094909067.jpg

IMG_20200315_171247566.jpg

Very well done!!! I wish I was mechanically inclined.

3 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Very well done!!! I wish I was mechanically inclined.

Thank you. Fortunately for me I was in retail management in the building material business for 40 years and was exposed to many professionals who shared their knowledge with me. 

That being said this is my last project. Age, bad vision and a bum hip has made the decision for me.

I hope all is well with you and your family, especially for me hero Ayden! That young man is a true inspiration.

^^^ Jeff. Honestly sorry to hear your replacement surgery has been cancelled.  Hang in there for me, please, as I know you will have to continue with the pain.

On the flip side.  The bath rehab looks great. Thanks for sharing the pics with us.  Please take care.

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

^^^ Jeff. Honestly sorry to hear your replacement surgery has been cancelled.  Hang in there for me, please, as I know you will have to continue with the pain.

On the flip side.  The bath rehab looks great. Thanks for sharing the pics with us.  Please take care.

Thank you my friend

17 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

It appears Italy may pass up China in number of deaths within the next 2-3 days.  Unbelievable how hard it has hit that country.

Aside from the immigrants...I wonder how much "tourism" plays into that?  Basically, the Vatican.

8 minutes ago, rico said:

Aside from the immigrants...I wonder how much "tourism" plays into that?  Basically, the Vatican.

A few factors I've heard has been on older aged population, lot of smokers and not that many ICU beds per 100k of population. They really are not treating older people so they can save the younger ones. Scary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The number of cases in Arizona and Texas seem to have slowed the last week or so.  For those of you living in one of those states, has your weather been warm?  I know there still is some uncertainty about how this particular virus will be impacted by warm weather.  We may be getting a hint of it from those two states.  

5 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

I am 69 and in pretty good health. My wife is not far behind me. Yesterday, I went to work and later, we both went to lunch. After that we went to the grocery store. Later that evening my son gave me a lot of grief for stepping out of the house. I told him I am not giving in to the panic hysteria and I will continue as normal (as can be anyway). 

Speaking of work, I am self-employed (20 plus years). And yesterday one of my major accounts, a hospital, called and said they were temporarily suspending my service until further notice. Needless to say, my business will be taking a big hit, as many other businesses will as well. 

We will get through this

I'm 100% in healthcare and basically our clients have said we'll see you in 60 days. Have 2 clients who are still using us. Guess that's why they invented savings accounts for times like these? 

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Indiana is up to 30 cases and have their 2d death in Johnson county

Dang, didn't expect that many in IN. We just passed 650 cases here in NYC this morning. Expecting over 1,000 before Friday. But, I think that's being conservative.

On the plus side, leave it to NYC to figure this stuff out. Our local wine shop has an app that no one used before, but now they have a sign on the door directing people to order/pay on app. I downloaded the app and 5 minutes later they opened the door and put our wine/booze on the ground for us pick up. It was all very orderly and someone else already there walked us through the procedure. We walked our dog the one and half blocks and then walked home with a month's worth of prosecco for the wife. I already have rye, gin, and sweet vermouth.

It looks like NYC will have a shelter in place order in the next few days. Shouldn't affect us too much as we are already hunkering down. We could leave the city and stay at our place on Maryland Eastern Shore, but Brooklyn is our home. All the people and businesses around us are important to us. Our bodegas an grocery stores are staying open and just asking people to limit the number of people going in at one time. There's a sense that we know that the city will be hit really hard, but also a sense that we are all in this together, even if it means keeping our distance from each other.

Last night, I smoked a big fat joint and instead of listening to music I watched the 2002 IU/Duke tourney game that @dbmhoosier posted in another thread. I give that dude lots of attitude for his negative posting, but he gave me Moye stuffing Boozer and a lot of Jared Jeffries being a badass. So, I thank him for that!

Stay safe everyone.

Edited by Lostin76

Continue to hear wonderful things.  For instance. At&T, Verizon and one other cell phone company will not be turning service off for the next two months, for people who are not able to work and lost income due this virus.  Also, Hyundai will make car payments for people out of work that have bought one of their cars.

Plus. Locally.  There is a local lady that has started a service for the elderly. Limited area. But.   She will go the the grocery store and buy needed stuff for them. Bring it back home to them. Free of charge !

Edited by milehiiu

8 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Now if only the Spring Break kids would stay away from the beaches......

Saw they were crowded, not a good look

Yep.  Would not be surprised to see Florida cases spike as the local population is exposed to those travelling.  The young travelers will have little or very mild symptoms, while the older, local population pays the price. 

• Like 1