Purdue Postgame Thread

KDB

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

That is how I am trying to look at it.  The roster just cannot shoot, pretty much across the board.  We also have an issue with guards who just do not make good decisions.  

I felt going into this year that if we won around 20 games and made the tournament, that would be a success for this team.  That is still within reach.  That would mark progress each year.  We have a roster issue.  I do blame Miller for not addressing that with a grad transfer or something of the like, but his team is on the floor.  I was a bit worried about recruiting but Lander seems to show that the top recruits (in state at least) are still buying into his vision.

Win the home games, make the tournament, see if we can make a little noise there, and then look to improve more next year.

I think the reason there was no grad transfer is I think Archie was led to believe that Brooks was committed and therefore there was no need for another player. When Brooks pulled the old switcheroo it was too late.

I agree that the roster is trash. Smith, Al and Green will not be missed when they are gone. You can't expect players in the middle to do anything when you have three defenders around them. Throw in the fact that for the most part we can't feed the post or heaven forbid make strong backcuts when the post is double teamed.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The common theme for me isn’t who Archie starts are plays.Its that none of our guards or wings can make enough outside shots to dictate and open up a game.  Purdue double and at times triple teamed us once the ball came inside. Why could they do that because they said hit the outside shot if you can! We don’t think you can make enough to pull us out of this strategy. 
I think Archie offense works it’s the players can’t execute consistently. Franklin, Durham and Green in the last 5 minutes of the first half turned the ball over what like 5 times. Durham just dribbled right into a defender who was just standing there. For an easy lay up to put Purdue up 9. We were only down 22, 20 then three consecutive turn overs and we’re down 29 20. 
Poor  shooting makes us try and do to much which leads to easy turn overs. Hopefully the guys coming back next year and the new guys coming in work really hard on their shooting. 

9 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

You got it buddy.  Pretty sad.  You’re starting to see all the pent up frustration coming out of Archie because he knows he’s getting a new boss and knows Fred really can’t do anything at this point.  Think about his actions/antics the last two games.  That’s the fire and passion I saw when he was at Dayton.

If this is true, then my respect for Archie's coaching chops has gone up a notch...he's taken guys that don't fit HIS type of player profile at all, and has them listening and competing. 

Shot selection and the looseness with the ball at critical times absolutely killed us. 

And for those who keep saying "use the bench!" as a motivator, the bench is only so long with players that can help you win. Sometimes you have to grit your teeth and go with players who CAN help you win the game, but can also do things that can lose it as well...

3 minutes ago, rico said:

We struggle with shooting in every single facet.  At the rim, in the paint, 17 footers, behind the arc, and from the stripe.  I can live with that.  I cannot live with lack of effort or lack of brains.  Bad turnovers were the story last night.  

I agree totally Rico. Great point!

4 minutes ago, rico said:

We struggle with shooting in every single facet.  At the rim, in the paint, 17 footers, behind the arc, and from the stripe.  I can live with that.  I cannot live with lack of effort or lack of brains.  Bad turnovers were the story last night.  

13 turnovers 7 of which were by Al and Devonte...25% shooting and 20% on 3’s

15 minutes ago, rico said:

I didn't go back and look at any of your previous posts in this thread (I'm getting lazy in my old age) but were you ok with the effort last night?

Just now, IUFLA said:

I didn't go back and look at any of your previous posts in this thread (I'm getting lazy in my old age) but were you ok with the effort last night?

I haven't really said anything about how I saw the game until now.  Yes I was OK with the effort.  

I, and the rest of us as well, realize this team can't shoot from anywhere consistently.  So we have to win games by other means.  Boneheaded turnovers is not one of them.  

Look at it anyway you want to.....Purdue was not gonna lose that game last night, especially against us.  IMO, if we had 5 more minutes, this may be a different outcome. I think Both teams struggled offensively with their key players, but Purdue's advantage was the home crowd. ......If the locations were switched, ......this was a "W" for the good guys.

49 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

You got it buddy.  Pretty sad.  You’re starting to see all the pent up frustration coming out of Archie because he knows he’s getting a new boss and knows Fred really can’t do anything at this point.  Think about his actions/antics the last two games.  That’s the fire and passion I saw when he was at Dayton.

Yes sir!!!! I will go a step further and predict Coach Miller will be shopping for one or two new assistants at the end of the season. 

10 hours ago, Monatna Hoosier said:

I don’t get some logic around here. Green is the easy target to hate on, but for us to win we need him to score. Brunk isn’t the problem, coaching and terrible scheme is the problem.

As far as Archie, he is a terrible coach. I would take Painter in a heart beat over Archie.  That probably doesn’t go good over on the roses and daisy's platform.  The fact that he still starts Durham and Smith is unbelievable. The fact that he makes zero halftime adjustments is even more unbelievable. The fact that he can’t set an offense to handle a double team is even more unbelievable. The fact that he still tells has his bigs hedge on a ball screen 30 feet from the basket is even more unbelievable.

The starting lineup should be: Rob, Green, Brunk, Jackson, and Race. First guys off the bench should be Franklin, Hunter, and then Smith. Durham shouldn’t see the court.

Where were you when we had won 3 out of 4 and our offense was doing well.

9 hours ago, Monatna Hoosier said:

If anybody thinks Archie is a good coach, or that Green and Brunk is our problem, then get ready for three more years of s***. I just love how Durham and Smith run down the court looking cool. A bunch of cupcakes. Soft, zero care, and are just going through the motions. 

Im just glad Archie wanted to run a play when there was less than a minute left, haha. Maybe try to rip your players with no drive or heart in the locker room Archie, don’t try to rip Bruiser when he tells you how bad of a coach you are on the sidelines.

Its a sunk ship.

Troll alert

9 hours ago, Monatna Hoosier said:

You still want to defend Durham and Smith, hahaha. That’s the problem, they suck and think they are good. Seriously as a fan you think they are good or capable?  Did you see Durham dribble the ball at the end of the half?  Did you see Smith say “f*** off” to TJD?

Hey man, if your happy with them be happy with the NIT.  The cheerleaders have more heart than those two and the cheerleaders probably don’t even know the score.

It is time for you to go back to the cesspool you call a board(rivals) and leave this board for people you actually want to talk basketball.  This is not the Jim  Rome show where you have a take and don't suck commentary.  You kind of posting is not welcome here so it is time to take a hike.

16 minutes ago, rico said:

I haven't really said anything about how I saw the game until now.  Yes I was OK with the effort.  

I, and the rest of us as well, realize this team can't shoot from anywhere consistently.  So we have to win games by other means.  Boneheaded turnovers is not one of them.  

I agree... especially the bunch at the end of the 1st half...here's a play by play from that sequence...

Screenshot_20200228-071409~2.png

Screenshot_20200228-071456~2.png

8 hours ago, Monatna Hoosier said:

1. Played college basketball. Watching TJD reaction after he said that is all you need to know. Smith knew exactly what he was doing and unfortunately Smith is garbage and will one day realize it when someone shoots back at him.

2. Durham can’t shoot, can’t dribble, and is a liability on defense. So yeah he sucks at this level. NAIA is where he would excel.

3. I call it like I see it instead of worrying about if the mods or other posters find my posts offensive.Grow a pair it’s sports, say how you feel. If you can’t in regards to sports, life will be really tough for you.

4. Heart starts from the minute ball tips. To get down by a bad team and then lose by 8 isn’t showing heart. Heart should be their from the start no matter the opponent. Purdue played with heart with less talent to boot, that’s heart. Being more talented and then trying to turn it on at the end isn’t heart at all.  That is a bunch of soft entitled Big Ten players. That need a serious ass chewing.

did I answer them?

Like you said it is sports and it is not that important to get this upset over and it seems that you really need some emotional help

7 hours ago, Monatna Hoosier said:

Just look at the games we have lost,, especially against sub par teams, their guards couldn’t shoot either. How did Purdue shoot the three today?  Your ten ply bud and refuse to face the facts. Would you know a good time if it slapped you in the face, my guess is you wouldn’t?  Keep defending Archie and the scrubs like Smith and Durham, but it’s on the coach and soft players like Durham and Smith. 

Race is better than smith, Green is better than Durham, so is Franklin.

It was fitting when Bruiser called Archie out on the bench tonight, because that’s normal for a well oiled machine. The cracks are there and it won’t get any better. I mean a coach said f*** you to another coach today on national tv, that’s all I needed to see.

What subpar team have we lost to this year because we have no losses that are quad 3 or 4

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

As far as the game goes, listen to Archie's post game presser. He hits the nail on the head...

Our effort was good...we competed...but so did Purdue

Our attitude was good

Our decision making was poor. 

We lost this game in the last 3 minutes of the 1st half (just like the last meeting). At the 3:21 mark, it was 19-18. At the 1:03 mark it was 23-20. 4 turnovers (Devonte 2, Armaan 1, Durham 1) had it at 29-20 at the half...and we lost by 8.

This is the part that drove me crazy. First game it was 28-25 I believe and  you allow a 12-0 and turn the ball over 4 times in final 6 possessions to go into half down 9. Same last night with the same guys. Bad passes, not running clock down and looking for a good shot,etc......game turned again in final 2 minutes of first half. 

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

This is the part that drove me crazy. First game it was 28-25 I believe and  you allow a 12-0 and turn the ball over 4 times in final 6 possessions to go into half down 9. Same last night with the same guys. Bad passes, not running clock down and looking for a good shot,etc......game turned again in final 2 minutes of first half. 

Why was Durham handling the ball on that last play of the half? Shouldn’t that have been RP? Eastern ate him up and it led to that dunk. 

4 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Why was Durham handling the ball on that last play of the half? Shouldn’t that have been RP? Eastern ate him up and it led to that dunk. 

You would think so. I don't know if RP (I know he had foul trouble) has something wrong with him again or his minutes need to be restricted but in key times like the final few minutes of a half I just don't want both Durham and Green handling the ball or on the court together. 

To answer your question. No clue. Maybe Archie was thinking there's no way he would be careless with the ball again would he? Haha..I think that's what  is driving crazy on the bench. He keeps trying to put his faith in these guys that aren't his guys and he's not being rewarded. 

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

You would think so. I don't know if RP (I know he had foul trouble) has something wrong with him again or his minutes need to be restricted but in key times like the final few minutes of a half I just don't want both Durham and Green handling the ball or on the court together. 

To answer your question. No clue. Maybe Archie was thinking there's no way he would be careless with the ball again would he? Haha..I think that's what  is driving crazy on the bench. He keeps trying to put his faith in these guys that aren't his guys and he's not being rewarded. 

Rob's just an absolute mystery at this point. I don't know if it's health, confidence, or other things (likely a combo), but he's simply not reliable, which is pretty frustrating, because he'll make a terrific play and then turn around and barely draw rim on a jumper. Considering that a PG handles the ball every time down the court, kinda important to get consistent play there. 

Archived