Landscaping / Gardening thread

Reacher

24 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I've always bought my herbs when they've already grown  and transfer to pots. Doing seeds this year. How many seeds do you guys usually put in each cell pocket? One article I read says 1-2 and another one says 2-5.

Just curious. 

I do 2-3 per. 

One new thing I tried last season with basil. I planted my pot for my main plant. Then I got a trough style flower planter I filled. I planted 1/4 by sprinkling some seeds and lightly covered with soil.  I staggered planting the other quarters with a week in between.  I would pick when the sprouts were big enough to use and replant each quarter as I used it up.  It was a nice rotation.  Never had to worry about bolting and always had fresh basil. I'm going to try it with dill too this year. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/4/2023 at 10:20 AM, mrflynn03 said:

I do 2-3 per. 

One new thing I tried last season with basil. I planted my pot for my main plant. Then I got a trough style flower planter I filled. I planted 1/4 by sprinkling some seeds and lightly covered with soil.  I staggered planting the other quarters with a week in between.  I would pick when the sprouts were big enough to use and replant each quarter as I used it up.  It was a nice rotation.  Never had to worry about bolting and always had fresh basil. I'm going to try it with dill too this year. 

So I went and got these biodegradable Burpee fiber pots for seeds. So with Basil, Oregano, and Parsley....just put 2-3 of little seeds in each and when they start getting bigger and temps are up I just transfer into pots outside?

• Like 1

On 3/6/2023 at 3:19 PM, Seeking6 said:

So I went and got these biodegradable Burpee fiber pots for seeds. So with Basil, Oregano, and Parsley....just put 2-3 of little seeds in each and when they start getting bigger and temps are up I just transfer into pots outside?

Yep, that's all there is too it. With the biodegradable pots just tear off the bottom 1/3rd and put the scrap in the bottom of the whole. Leaving the top will help hold the root bulb together.  

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

Yep, that's all there is too it. With the biodegradable pots just tear off the bottom 1/3rd and put the scrap in the bottom of the whole. Leaving the top will help hold the root bulb together.  

So when I transfer to pots I need to rip off bottom? The way instructions read it's just set it in and forget it. 

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

So when I transfer to pots I need to rip off bottom? The way instructions read it's just set it in and forget it. 

If the instructions don't say to then I guess no need. That's what I've always done with the Bonnie plants I've bought. 

Another thing to keep in mind is the plant will only get as big as the root system diameter.  So you can control how big or small the plant gets by the size of the pot you choose. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Any of you have experience with seedlings bolting? I have had them under a lid and on a heat mat but literally out of nowhere 6 of tomato and pepper plants grew about a half inch to full inch over night.

I read something just now that says you brush the top of the plant which simulates a stiff breeze and tricks the seed into growing a thicker stalk?? Wtf is all that about? Haha...gardening man. 

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Any of you have experience with seedlings bolting? I have had them under a lid and on a heat mat but literally out of nowhere 6 of tomato and pepper plants grew about a half inch to full inch over night.

I read something just now that says you brush the top of the plant which simulates a stiff breeze and tricks the seed into growing a thicker stalk?? Wtf is all that about? Haha...gardening man. 

You can also use a small fan. Yeah, seedlings are very delicate business.

I tend to just sow the seeds outside and hope for the best. It’s not in the guide books, but we get enough day time sun to just let things go crazy. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

You know what Eddie Murphy said about the wind, right?!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Seedlings are starting to take off. With any luck they'll be getting transferred into pots and ground in early May. My Early Girls and Goliath tomatoes seem to be doing the best so far. Peppers are coming along but slowly.

Good luck to all the gardeners this year. I'm going to reduce a little this year. Between ours and my aunts mess of a setup I don't want to have this be a summer of maintenance again. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...