Landscaping / Gardening thread

Reacher

1 hour ago, DWB said:

Are those Hosta's in the raised beds? If so, you should be expecting Rudolf and his buddies. I hear they love Hosta's.

My aunt has roughly 40 or so Hosta's in her yard. She's tried every trick in the book besides electric shocks.....those deer always get to them. Haha.

2 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Ever tried the motion sensing sprinkler 

Those the motion sensing bright lights, paprika, hot pepper....any and everything they find a way to eat them. She has so many though it's tough to defend all of them plus she lives on a golf course in a area of town where not many cars. Deer feel safe back in there I guess.

7 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I mentioned a few weeks back that we were going to hardscape our front yard. Finished today and my wife and I are beyond thrilled with the results. Wish I could say that I did this but no way could I have gotten the raised beds right.

image.thumb.jpeg.6df79f2be113527e97bbcd10d3ce43e5.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.d81c7227a5e52e597a8d01c5fe8f0221.jpeg

You don't want to mow grass? Planning on moving to AZ? 

Looks great! 

• Haha 1

On 5/12/2023 at 1:48 PM, Steubenhoosier said:

I mentioned a few weeks back that we were going to hardscape our front yard. Finished today and my wife and I are beyond thrilled with the results. Wish I could say that I did this but no way could I have gotten the raised beds right.

image.thumb.jpeg.6df79f2be113527e97bbcd10d3ce43e5.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.d81c7227a5e52e597a8d01c5fe8f0221.jpeg

Looks great!!!  You’ll spend your newly found free time picking weeds from the rocks. My in-laws live at the Jersey shore and have a pebble yard. My FIL is always out pulling weeds.  Still beats mowing. ;)

35 minutes ago, Naturalhoosier said:

Looks great!!!  You’ll spend your newly found free time picking weeds from the rocks. My in-laws live at the Jersey shore and have a pebble yard. My FIL is always out pulling weeds.  Still beats mowing. ;)

In places I don't have flowers, like my parking area, I salt the earth like a Roman. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Naturalhoosier said:

Thanks...they put the black sheet material down which is supposed to help, but I know it's not foolproof.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

No clue how much water is enough but I feel like I've been watering tomato and peppers and other stuff almost daily. Just saw (for Indy at least) long term forecast basically calling for no rain over next 7-10 days unless you get one of those isolated heat related storms.

Good luck to those gardening!

• Like 2

On 6/3/2023 at 7:10 PM, Seeking6 said:

So basically Dawn soap is the answer to every cleaning solution?? My pots have been causing stains on deck/patio and my have to be clean brain kicks in. Dawn soap and some hot water takes all the stains away in minutes. 

Dishsoap, epsom salt and vinegar is a decent weed killer solution.  

• Like 1

Ok team, put your thinking caps on, I've got a weird situation.

I've got this little raised bed type area, that was filled with absolutely terrible dirt. I topped all of that dirt with a layer of cardboard and then topped it off with about 4" of good compost. Planted some Brocolli and a couple mater plants. It's been like that for about a month.

Tuesday, I bought 200-300 night crawler worms to help start breaking down that cardboard and bad dirt. Everything had been normal, until last light. During the night, something came in and totally destroyed the whole surface of the bed. All of the cardboard pulled up, strung all over. It's about 5' wide and 30' long. It literally looks like a hog rut. I'm in Indiana just north west of Bloomington and there are no wild hogs. I can't really see any foot prints. I've no idea what could have done it.

Any ideas? Surely it wasn't some Olympic strength level worms having a party? 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

I've got this little raised bed type area, that was filled with absolutely terrible dirt. I topped all of that dirt with a layer of cardboard and then topped it off with about 4" of good compost. Planted some Brocolli and a couple mater plants. It's been like that for about a month.

Tuesday, I bought 200-300 night crawler worms to help start breaking down that cardboard and bad dirt. Everything had been normal, until last light. During the night, something came in and totally destroyed the whole surface of the bed. All of the cardboard pulled up, strung all over. It's about 5' wide and 30' long. It literally looks like a hog rut. I'm in Indiana just north west of Bloomington and there are no wild hogs. I can't really see any foot prints. I've no idea what could have done it.

If you were in Alabama I’d say Armadillo 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Drroogh said:

If you were in Alabama I’d say Armadillo 🤷‍♂️

Yep, I could see that. But I can’t for the life of figure out a varmint in Indiana that would do this. 
the most logical thing I can imagine, is that the daughter or wife did it herself just to throw me a curve ball that’ll keep me occupied for years! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

How is everyone's gardens going so far? My tomatoes (Early Gals and Goliath Hybrid) just started giving me green tomatoes in the past week. My zucchini is looking strong but my peppers are struggling. Almost to the point I'm ready to go to the store and buy some with blooms on them.

Been a tough one here in Indy so far. Lack of rain has me guessing on how much watering to do.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2023 at 6:29 PM, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Caught the little bastage... It's a fox. A nice big ole fluffy fox. Land mines are deployed. 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

How is everyone's gardens going so far? My tomatoes (Early Gals and Goliath Hybrid) just started giving me green tomatoes in the past week. My zucchini is looking strong but my peppers are struggling. Almost to the point I'm ready to go to the store and buy some with blooms on them.

Been a tough one here in Indy so far. Lack of rain has me guessing on how much watering to do.

My zucchini, cukes, maters, and green beans all look great.  My peppers are struggling as well but that is par for the course for me.

• Like 2