Landscaping / Gardening thread

Reacher

2 hours ago, rico said:

My zucchini, cukes, maters, and green beans all look great.  My peppers are struggling as well but that is par for the course for me.

Really strange. 5th person I've spoke with including my own that has said everything else is good but peppers struggling.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finally started getting some of tomatoes turning red this past week. My peppers are still work in progress. Zucchini coming along.

Had mowing down sweet corn for the last 10 or so days. My Dad's Sweet Corn had their first run last weekend and a farmers market in Nora (North Indy) just brought theirs in as well.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wife just started cleaning out the garden this weekend. Pulled 2 small cukes. Pepper plant looks great but currently no fruit. Tomatoes still producing. With lows in the upper 30s tonight and tomorrow and limited free time on the upcoming weekends, it was time to put an end to the season.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Anybody else still going strong? Pulling red tomatoes and peppers off still in Indy. Also just learned this trick. Green tomatoes into brown paper bags and they'll turn red in 10-14 days. I heard about it online and tried it. Actually works.

You need to learn how to cook fried green tomatoes! One of the best burgers I’ve ever had was in Atlanta. It had pimento cheese, Carolina coleslaw and fried green tomatoes with a chipotle ranch sauce!

Edited by Drroogh
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

You need to learn how to cook fried green tomatoes! One of the best burgers I’ve ever had was in Atlanta. It had pimento cheese, Carolina coleslaw and fried green tomatoes with a chipotle ranch sauce!

Understand and we do plenty....but nothing beats a beautiful ripe Indiana tomato. Just wanted to throw it out there because it's been such a strange gardening year I still have 40-50 green tomatoes on the vine.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Anybody else still going strong? Pulling red tomatoes and peppers off still in Indy. Also just learned this trick. Green tomatoes into brown paper bags and they'll turn red in 10-14 days. I heard about it online and tried it. Actually works.

We have tomatoes and peppers still coming in. The wife just made a bunch of sauce with a bunch of our tomatoes. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

The best fried green tomatoes I have had was in Charleston. You are correct though, they are delicious and my wife has made them on occasion. 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Reacher said:

After that early drought, I was wondering how the harvest was going to be. How did the year end up?

30 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Beautiful sight. Kind of sad sometimes but when I see fields like that I know one thing for sure. Hoops season is coming. How are the yields and prices on beans/corn this year??

I will get you fellas some numbers when Dad gets me the final tally.  But I can tell you that the price of corn/soybeans is/are plummeting.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rico said:

I will get you fellas some numbers when Dad gets me the final tally.  But I can tell you that the price of corn/soybeans is/are plummeting.  

Is that just because of inventory or is it plummeting because of the cost of what the stores or suppliers have to pass on to customers?

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Is that just because of inventory or is it plummeting because of the cost of what the stores or suppliers have to pass on to customers?

Evidently it has been a good year for soybeans across the nation.  A higher yield=lower price more often than not.  

BTW here at the ranch we got 45 bushels/acre.  In a "normal" year we would get 55.  And beans were 12.32/bushel at local elevator today.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I would wait to do it right after the last frost. The earlier the better after that. 

Sorry but that's definitely too late.  May 1st -5th is historically the range in Central Indiana for last frost.  By then you are giving your seed a very small window to mature enough to survive summer heat.  

Do you mean hard freeze?

Edited by NotIThatLives
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Sorry but that's definitely too late.  May 1st -5th is historically the range in Central Indiana for last frost.  By then you are giving your seed a very small window to mature enough to survive summer heat.  

Do you mean hard freeze?

Mid March my man. 

That would be a better way to put it. I must have been auto corrected.  

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Anyone know if it's ok to put grass seed down this time of year in Indy? 

I think it is ok to seed in the winter and the seed will germinate when the soil temps get high enough. https://www.jonathangreen.com/resources/can-grass-seed-survive-winter.html.

I plan to put some down soon and then revisit later in the spring.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I think it is ok to seed in the winter and the seed will germinate when the soil temps get high enough. https://www.jonathangreen.com/resources/can-grass-seed-survive-winter.html.

I plan to put some down soon and then revisit later in the spring.

That's what I'm thinking. I did the first layer last September but have a few spots I want to clean up for them. Just curious. Thanks all!