Working Out

I’m a smaller framed person. Grew up swimming. Running and biking always suited me better too, but my knees are wrecked now. I enjoyed lifting but never put on a huge amount of weight. This winter I stopped the heavy lifting because I kept hurting myself no matter how careful and crazy I was about form. 

Anyway, my wife suggested I join her Beach Bodies account and try some programs on there. I gotta say I haven’t turned back (so far) - it kicks my ass. Workout in my basement with just dumb bells (up to 30 lbs) and bands. 30-45 minute programs that tend to be a mix of HIIT, weights, body weight excercises, plyometrics and a whole bunch of core. 

I cant explain it and it probably wont make sense to anyone but since Ayden got sick I for the most part have cut out any of my pleasures unless they involve family.  I used to golf at least 9 holes 5 days a week. I went 8 years without picking up a club. Now me Oakley and Ayden play every couple weeks.  Ayden deals with too.much muscle pain for he and I to work out much. Getting old sucks but it is better than the alternative. 

When I was younger and in shape my exercise was playing basketball 4 times a week.  I never liked just running to get into shape but rather play basketball or tennis to stay in shape That came to an end when I was 35 and had knee surgery.  I got lazy and out of shape and just haven't really did anything to change it.

2 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Same. Granted I haven’t run competitively in a long time but I want to get back into running as well. Maybe some day haha. 

I’m not sure how far removed you are, but I’m about 10 years and 70 (yikes) pounds out from my last season. Everything is different now. I’ve been starting slow. I usually mix up some run/walk stuff to be easier on my joints. 

7 minutes ago, BeerBQ said:

I’m not sure how far removed you are, but I’m about 10 years and 70 (yikes) pounds out from my last season. Everything is different now. I’ve been starting slow. I usually mix up some run/walk stuff to be easier on my joints. 

I’m a little further out than that haha. 

I need to get back to working out since I had gallbladder surgery in March. I used to just play basketball 3 times a week and do 20 pushups in my office every hour at work, but obviously not playing bball currently and with the surgery I got away from the pushups. 

Any input on building a home gym space? What's the essential equipment, etc? I more prefer the crossfit type bodyweight/kettlebell type of stuff over a traditional bench press/weights type thing. 

19 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

I’m a smaller framed person. Grew up swimming. Running and biking always suited me better too, but my knees are wrecked now. I enjoyed lifting but never put on a huge amount of weight. This winter I stopped the heavy lifting because I kept hurting myself no matter how careful and crazy I was about form. 

Anyway, my wife suggested I join her Beach Bodies account and try some programs on there. I gotta say I haven’t turned back (so far) - it kicks my ass. Workout in my basement with just dumb bells (up to 30 lbs) and bands. 30-45 minute programs that tend to be a mix of HIIT, weights, body weight excercises, plyometrics and a whole bunch of core. 

There's all kinds of ways to work out, and the Beach Bodies thing -- sounds funny -- is probably a real workout.

I remember way back I was watching some show and they had Pete Rose (in his prime) try to follow a little kid around a playground and do everything the kid did. Rose was completely exhausted by like 5 minutes in. Think about all the running etc. little kids do on a playground. It was funny.

6 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I remember way back I was watching some show and they had Pete Rose (in his prime) try to follow a little kid around a playground and do everything the kid did. Rose was completely exhausted by like 5 minutes in. Think about all the running etc. little kids do on a playground. It was funny.

Pete probably had money on the kid...😁

21 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

There's all kinds of ways to work out, and the Beach Bodies thing -- sounds funny -- is probably a real workout.

It does have a funny name, but it's the same platform that has rights to Insanity and P90X. 

I think anything that leaves me drenched in sweat by the end feels like a 'real workout'. 

We purchased a Peloton back in the fall and it's been fantastic. It's not just cycle classes either. Lots of weights, stretches, floor exercises, and yoga. I hop on the Peloton about 3-4 times a week and do light weight, high rep dumbbells three times a week.

I haven't really run much since the lockdown, but normally run a few times a week for 5-7 miles.

42 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

P90x is killer. I mean, it can kill you, lol

That’s definitely one of the ‘advanced’ options. Haha. 

I do need to get a pull-up bar. Maybe if I get to the point where I feel I’m in really good shape I’ll give it a shot, but probably not ready for that now. 

• 2 weeks later...

Getting close to finishing my home gym. I canceled my gym membership today to Anytime Fitness, I've had one since 2011. I'm going to replace the lat pull down machine with a better one, and I'm going to build a dumbbell rack out of wood. Hate that they just rest on the floor lol 

The flooring was SO cheap. $100 at Sam's club and takes NO time to put it together. 

I'm very happy with the results so far. 

Snapchat-519196134.jpg

Snapchat-978959200.jpg

Snapchat-341531807.jpg

10 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Getting close to finishing my home gym. I canceled my gym membership today to Anytime Fitness, I've had one since 2011. I'm going to replace the lat pull down machine with a better one, and I'm going to build a dumbbell rack out of wood. Hate that they just rest on the floor lol 

The flooring was SO cheap. $100 at Sam's club and takes NO time to put it together. 

Snapchat-519196134.jpg

Snapchat-978959200.jpg

Snapchat-341531807.jpg

Looks nice!

You gonna get any kind of aerobic equipment like a treadmill or elliptical?

18 minutes ago, btownqb said:

How many square feet for $100?

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Snapchat-519196134.jpg

Snapchat-978959200.jpg

Snapchat-341531807.jpg

Is the 4x4 setup a homemade squat rack?  I've seen that done for bench but wouldn't trust it for that but for squats, ingenious idea, looks great. All of it. 

Part of my motivation to remodel my living room first is for workout space. Will get a gym membership eventually but for now I plan on doing HIIT training, hill sprints, and looking at Pat Macnamara combat strength training.  I have 2 quality bars and 300+ lb Olympic weight set ect. But not enough inside space. My have to have an inside/outside setup for now. And I need to find a tractor tire big enough the flip and pound on with my 16lb sledge. 

15 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Is the 4x4 setup a homemade squat rack?  I've seen that done for bench but wouldn't trust it for that but for squats, ingenious idea, looks great. All of it. 

Part of my motivation to remodel my living room first is for workout space. Will get a gym membership eventually but for now I plan on doing HIIT training, hill sprints, and looking at Pat Macnamara combat strength training.  I have 2 quality bars and 300+ lb Olympic weight set ect. But not enough inside space. My have to have an inside/outside setup for now. And I need to find a tractor tire big enough the flip and pound on with my 16lb sledge. 

It is a squat rack and bench press, actually. I'm going to put wheels on the bench that I have thats not attached so I can move it back and forth. This is what that looks like when you fold it up. I absolutely love them, great design. 

Its been tested with 500lbs. The most I'll probably ever bench press is 315lbs 5 or 6 reps...so I should be safe. Mostly work with weight below 225lbs. 

Snapchat-1575933611.jpg

Archived