Working Out

anyone else consistently lift/workout? I lift 4-6 times a week. Obviously rotating muscle groups, my moms pool is about 25 mins or I'd be there daily to swim before my lift. 

Has anyone ever used a weighted vest to train? 

I lifted for football in HS and college and just really enjoyed the lifestyle. 

My best friend and I live together (my house)... we found quite a bit of lifting equipment to make due during quarantine. Bench press 250lbs, 4 sets of dumbells, bow flex type machine, and attachments for that and a mat for abs. 

I worked 80 hours a week during my 20's and early 30's and went from 165 when I left IU to 235lbs  or so. Made a switch around age 33 or so. Took 1 year off of everything bad. 10+ years later if I'm not breaking a sweat daily I feel like I let myself down. I ran for years doing many mini marathons. Started back off of that because of knee preservation. When my gym was open I did elliptical every day for an hour for years along with a few sit/push ups. 

Most of my time during these days is on the Monon Trail. Always do 6 miles of fast paced walking each day. I know it's not the same as running,etc...but keeps me mentally and for most part still physically fit. One thing I did as a joke to begin with about 6 months ago was put a 20 lb bell next to computer. Every beer I have is 15 reps on each arm. Now I just have to figure out the abs....haha.

I've gotten chubby and out of shape but want to get back to lifting HIIT training soon. Started lifting in 7th grade. 

I have and when I get back to working out will follow Jim Wendler's program. 

As far as a weight vest, I havent, but my stepdad and grandpa had a military surplus store.  A medium alice pack with 25 lbs of weight and hill sprints will do the job. 

Used to, and now trying to get back to a more regular routine. Lifted for hockey same period then just to work out 

used to:

2-3 times a week 4-6 reps bench, up to 285 - I weigh 165, that’s the most I’ve benched. 
- 4-6 reps flys, 30 lbs up to 65 lbs, 4-6 reps push that cart thing across the gym, whatever it’s called lol, 50 pushups

2-3 times a week, the off-days, 4-6 sets pull-ups, 4-6 sets curls, abs, 30 sit-ups, light jog or biking 

now - 

swim (have a pool) 10 laps, when I try 2-3 times a week but that’s when I’m motivated,

90 second plank, 50 pushups, 30 sit-ups daily, basketball in my driveway, no weights at home but the gym just RE-opened, thank God, so I’ll be getting back to weights - bench now more for reps, 8 sets starting with 1 plate working up to 2 plates, 225, rest mostly the same 

I stay in decent shape. Weights four days/week. 

Monday: back/chest

Tuesday: arms/legs

Wednesday off

Thursday/Friday repeat Monday/Tuesday.

Then usually do a short 1 mile run on the weekend. 

Nothing elaborate. I am in and out of the gym in 60-90 mins. From parked to gone.

2 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I suck at bench press.  I have orangutan arms 6'3" with 78" wingspan. My best bench was 355.  Deadlift is my bag. PB of 615.

😍😍😍😍 thats big time. 

I'm 5'10 195lbs (at the time) and benched 390lbs and did 345lbs 6 times. I was laying block 45hours a week and lifting 5 times a week. Work up at 530... worked until 330, lifted at 4-5, Call of Duty until 830 and then asleep at 9. 

That was a greeeeeeeat 2-3 years. 

4 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

I stay in decent shape. Weights for days/week. 

Monday: back/chest

Tuesday: arms/legs

Wednesday off

Thurssay/Friday repeat Monday/Tuesday.

Then usually do a short 1 nile run on the weekend. 

Nothing elaborate. I am in and out of the gym in 60-90 mins. From parked to gone.

Those guys that are at the gym for hours always befuddled me. 

I used to enjoy lifting weights when I was younger. Now I mostly do cardio workouts on rower and try to bike/swim when weather is nice. I am hoping to buy a used quality elliptical as well to mix it up with the rowing machine. Trying to drop 20-25 more pounds this year currently.

I’ve never enjoyed lifting. As a distance runner I just couldn’t ever get in to it. 

I’ve been trying to get back to running. It’s been a (literally) slow process. I added in pushups and lunges, too. 

I grew up swimming and that has been something I’ve always enjoyed. It’s tough to find a pool with lanes when I can work out, though. 

13 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Well not so much, but the cousin I lifted with at the time did 405 for reps. So it seemed like it. 

4 plates is so much. Like your arms quiever lol 

I spotted a fellow football coach doing 445lbs 3 times. Shewwww.

If I'm at my house lifting and doing chest/back. 

I'll do a modified drop set.. instead of dropping the weight and doing it until failure, I'll keep the weight the same (usually), but drop the reps. 

Example- I do 205lbs- 15 reps, 14 reps, etc all the way to 1 with minimal rest. 

Then I'll do 2 sets lat pull down 25 reps, seated row 2 sets 25 reps and dumbbell reverse Flys 2 sets 12 reps. 

End it with ab work out. Done in 35 mins. 

32 minutes ago, btownqb said:

If I'm at my house lifting and doing chest/back. 

I'll do a modified drop set.. instead of dropping the weight and doing it until failure, I'll keep the weight the same (usually), but drop the reps. 

Example- I do 205lbs- 15 reps, 14 reps, etc all the way to 1 with minimal rest. 

Then I'll do 2 sets lat pull down 25 reps, seated row 2 sets 25 reps and dumbbell reverse Flys 2 sets 12 reps. 

End it with ab work out. Done in 35 mins. 

I'm sore and tired just reading it.

Does lifting a fork count LOL!

I was not in very good shape before but after having the virus it out me even farther behind.  I have gotten to where I am walking 1 mile a day.  I am still having a hard time even mowing my yard without feeling like I am going to die.

19 hours ago, BeerBQ said:

I’ve never enjoyed lifting. As a distance runner I just couldn’t ever get in to it. 

I’ve been trying to get back to running. It’s been a (literally) slow process. I added in pushups and lunges, too. 

I grew up swimming and that has been something I’ve always enjoyed. It’s tough to find a pool with lanes when I can work out, though. 

Same. Granted I haven’t run competitively in a long time but I want to get back into running as well. Maybe some day haha. 

Just now, IU Scott said:

Does lifting a fork count LOL!

I was not in very good shape before but after having the virus it out me even farther behind.  I have gotten to where I am walking 1 mile a day.  I am still having a hard time even mowing my yard without feeling like I am going to die.

That might be allergies, homie. Lol

Just now, Stlboiler23 said:

Same. Granted I haven’t run competitively in a long time but I want to get back into running as well. Maybe some day haha. 

running is punishment. Never lol 😂😂 

Elliptical as I play euchre on my phone! And thats all the cardio I'll do besides swimming. 

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

running is punishment. Never lol 😂😂 

Elliptical as I play euchre on my phone! And thats all the cardio I'll do besides swimming. 

Haha fair enough. Part of me is interested to see if I can get back to what I was back in the day. We shall see. 

Archived