Goodbye Aunt Jemima

1 hour ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

With all the BLM stuff, Quaker Oats announced Aunt Jemima will be retired.

Man it's getting nuts out there.....

https://wowway.net/news/read/category/news/article/pennlivecom-aunt_jemima_brand_changing_its_name_image_because-tca

Aunt Jemima has had a place in my pantry since I was a little kid. Don't understand some of this stuff. Apparently, Cocoa Crispies is racist and Rice Crispies have white boys on the box so they are in trouble.  Do we need to rename chocolate ice cream? Abolish all history classes and books? 

18 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Aunt Jemima has had a place in my pantry since I was a little kid. Don't understand some of this stuff. Apparently, Cocoa Crispies is racist and Rice Crispies have white boys on the box so they are in trouble.  Do we need to rename chocolate ice cream? Abolish all history classes and books? 

Might get bashed for this but IMO by becoming so politically correct we have actually hurt many issues dealing with diversity,  race and tolerance.  

I was talking with a guy a consider a brother, a friend,  and someone I trust highly. He just happens to be African American and we have had lots of discussions about every issue most of which surround being a father, husband men stuff etc.. about a year ago a teacher was fired for dressing up like Bob Marley including black face. I dont know if there was more to it and dont support someone doing that but my friend text me after hearing about it and said thank God we did not have social media back in college or he might be in trouble when he dressed up as Peter Cris of KISS. we laughed and both agree that maybe we have become so PC that it hurts the cause.  Just some rambling from a guy who wishes he had more answers than questions

Honest question and not trying to come off like an ass. Does this really get anybody that upset of have any impact on their life or is it just ‘faux outrage’? I mean, God forbid a company makes a change in their syrup branding because their old mascot is a slave. Personally, I’m not sure what is more silly; that it took Quaker took this long to change their mascot (which again...is a slave) or that some seem to be outraged or saddened by this change? 

The syrup will still taste the same!

10 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Honest question and not trying to come off like an ass. Does this really get anybody that upset of have any impact on their life or is it just ‘faux outrage’? I mean, God forbid a company makes a change in their syrup branding because their old mascot is a slave. Personally, I’m not sure what is more silly; that it took Quaker took this long to change their mascot (which again...is a slave) or that some seem to be outraged or saddened by this change? 

The syrup will still taste the same!

I don't think anyone is outraged and I too think its crazy it has taken this long. Not trying to be insensitive or having my head in the sand but there are many things in our nations past that were terrible and thank God we have come a long way in many areas but still much farther to in in other areas. We can't deny the past or rewrite it and  those things I look at as opportunities to educate others. Ayden asked about the Confederate Flag and it gave me a great way to discuss the social injustice, slavery, civil war and other topics. We love to go to auctions and Ayden asked about a German WWII helmet and we have had many talks about what those symbols meant about tragedy and lots of things. Hopefully this does not come across as an insensitive or out of touch person. I just look at things as opportunities to teach and help move us forward. 

Log Cabin was my choice when it comes to budget model corn syrup syrups. 

But now pure maple syrup is where it's at. 

You would have to move a mountain to get me to be offended by anything, and even then I still probably wouldn't be offended. A waste of my time and energy. 

3 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Log Cabin was my choice when it comes to budget model corn syrup syrups. 

But now pure maple syrup is where it's at. 

You would have to move a mountain to get me to be offended by anything, and even then I still probably wouldn't be offended. A waste of my time and energy. 

Kirkland pure maple syrup...where it's at. I'm a Costco junkie. 

Guys, another reminder. 

The subject of race, racism, what is going on in society right now, etc., is all extremely important. But it inevitably bleeds into people’s politics and social views. This is a basketball board, not a board for heavy discussion of race, or of socially and politically divisive issues. 

Not sure why we’re talking about RE-Branding of a syrup here, except as a side-route to go right back into the social unrest the country is going through. That is not for this board 

5 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Guys, another reminder. 

The subject of race, racism, what is going on in society right now, etc., is all extremely important. But it inevitably bleeds into people’s politics and social views. This is a basketball board, not a board for heavy discussion of race, or of socially and politically divisive issues. 

Not sure why we’re talking about RE-Branding of a syrup here, except as a side-route to go right back into the social unrest the country is going through. That is not for this board 

What chu talkin bout poopster?

Archived