Ocean, Lake, River, or ......

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

....pool ?

Tough one to answer. Love me the ocean first....but day of boating/lounging on Lake Monroe or at Lake Tahoe is tough to beat as well. Never been a river guy. Headed to the pool in about 60. So how's that for not really answering the question.

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Tough one to answer. Love me the ocean first....but day of boating/lounging on Lake Monroe or at Lake Tahoe is tough to beat as well. Never been a river guy. Headed to the pool in about 60. So how's that for not really answering the question.

River catfish fishing for me. Love the way they fight.   I have already told the story about the day when my dad and I landed in a school of perch on Lake Michigan.  And filled the boat and then the trunk of our car with perch.  Another significant memory was when my son and I  charted a boat in Hawaii, hoping to catch a bill fish.  No bill fish. However... caught a tuna.  The biggest the captain said he had ever pulled on board.  Before pulling the tuna in the boat... he made us go uspstairs.... saying the tail could break a leg. He  got a baseball bat... and then hauled the tuna into the boat.  Clobbered the tuna in the head. Till it was dead.  Blood everywhere on the boat and the captain.  Then. as we were coming back to port asked me if I wanted to keep the tuna.  I told him no.  Big smile on his face. As a tuna that large would bring a lot of money at the fish monger.  A win, win day... all around.

I have dangled my feet in two oceans.  Atlantic and Pacific.  As well as the Gulf of Mexico.

Walking an ocean beach at sunrise or sunset is impossible to beat.

For boating, the lake would be the choice.

I've never really done much on a river.  A couple of dinner cruises and a sightseeing jungle cruise in Belize.

I don't like the pool.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Ocean and Pool. Will be going to the beach in a few weeks with my son and his girlfriend and my granddaughter.

Congrats.  So good to hear.  Was concerned about you for a while there.

Stay safe.... all of Hoosier Sports Nation.... so that you can have opportunities like Scott is planning.

Been in or on them all.  I will add farm pond and creek.  My top choice for swimming would be pool.  My favorite place to swim is the river in Gatlinburg.

And if you do enough fishing you will eventually find yourself in the lake by choice or accident, or maybe its just my trips that looked like a Bill Dance blooper reel.

And the one lucky bobber I refused to lose.

Just now, mrflynn03 said:

Been in or on them all.  I will add farm pond and creek.  My top choice for swimming would be pool.  My favorite place to swim is the river in Gatlinburg.

And if you do enough fishing you will eventually find yourself in the lake by choice or accident, or maybe its just my trips that looked like a Bill Dance blooper reel.

Your post reminded me of a fond memory from my childhood.  My grandfather from my mother's side built a house on a large plot of land in Crown Point, Indiana. Built it with his own hands. Brick by brick.  And chose the land, because it had a lake on it. Had to walk a quarter of a mile to get to the lake. And was a shallow lake... so had to restock it with fish every spring.

So.... he got tired of that.  Then had a deep lake built just off of his back patio.  Could fish off his back patio. And did not need to restock in the spring... as it was so deep... the fish did not die over winter.

Sorry... if I am boring you all with this memory.  But... it is special to me.

To me unless you are among some Islands like Hawaii, the ocean gets boring just looking out on the horizon. I like rivers for canoeing but I wouldn’t want to live on one it’s too hard to get back where you came from! Would never own a pool, but if there’s a public pool you can visit with the grandchildren that’s great! For me the family cabin on a small lake in Northern WI is the most peaceful place on earth and the fishing is decent too!

18 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Congrats.  So good to hear.  Was concerned about you for a while there.

Stay safe.... all of Hoosier Sports Nation.... so that you can have opportunities like Scott is planning.

Made reservations for Hilton Head for August 12th-19th.  Thank you for your concern and hope everything is good with you and well

19 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Blooper reel?  I got your blooper reel right here.  Even Rico would be jealous of that.

Just now, IU Scott said:

Made reservations for Hilton Head for August 12th-19th.  Thank you for your concern and hope everything is good with you and well

Love to hear it.  As for me.  I am doing well.  Rarely go anywhere. Other than to go out to get the mail, and pick up the paper in the morning.   Considering my age. I feel that is the thing to do.  At least for now.  But am happy for your get-together. 

38 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Love to hear it.  As for me.  I am doing well.  Rarely go anywhere. Other than to go out to get the mail, and pick up the paper in the morning.   Considering my age. I feel that is the thing to do.  At least for now.  But am happy for your get-together. 

I have started to try to get out and do a little more than I was a month ago.  It is for the best if you are in the age group where this virus is serious then it is best to stay in

Ocean is my choice to hang out for an afternoon. Drinking on the beach and hanging out in the water is tough to beat. 

Lake is my choice for being more active. Boating and kayaking are fun. 

River/creek is great for kayaking as long as you get dropped off or picked up or there isn’t much of a current. 

Pool is my favorite for actual swimming. I grew up around pools so they’re a comfortable place. 

4 hours ago, BeerBQ said:

Ocean is my choice to hang out for an afternoon. Drinking on the beach and hanging out in the water is tough to beat. 

Lake is my choice for being more active. Boating and kayaking are fun. 

River/creek is great for kayaking as long as you get dropped off or picked up or there isn’t much of a current. 

Pool is my favorite for actual swimming. I grew up around pools so they’re a comfortable place. 

Talking about kayaking.  I have a neighbor that keeps two kayaks on the top of one of his cars, beginning in the Spring, and through Fall.  Know when he is out, when the car is gone. 

KAYAKING IN COLORADO 

As for swimming, there is this :

The Best Swimming holes in Colorado 

6 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Talking about kayaking.  I have a neighbor that keeps two kayaks on the top of one of his cars, beginning in the Spring, and through Fall.  Know when he is out, when the car is gone. 

KAYAKING IN COLORADO 

As for swimming, there is this :

The Best Swimming holes in Colorado 

Some very cool views in that video. 
The knobs are the closest things we have to mountains in Southern Indiana. 

6467F17B-046D-4628-9ED5-64E4371FFBD3.jpeg

Ocean...Well, the Gulf of Mexico, particularly the part near Destin, Florida...Galveston, you can have...

Lake...Dietz Lake...about 20 miles southeast of Terre Haute...My aunt had a cabin there when I was a young teen...great times...Or Carlisle Lake in southwestern Illinois...

Pool...

Not a river guy...live not so far from the San Jacinto East Fork, and it stinks...

Pic of my wife and 2 oldest daughters first day we PCSed to Eglin in 1989, running down Destin Beach...Great memories

IMG_20200605_095859.jpg

I type this looking our over a lake so that gets my vote. Pools always seemed dirty to me and not a fan of the chlorine. For young folks, I'm sure the social aspect can't be beat. Rivers are a little too dirty and buggy. For fly fishing and whitewater rafting, rivers shine. Ocean beaches are the best but I can't just sit on a beach all day. Have snorkeled in the carribean and that was incredible. Lakes are much more versatile, IMO. For scenery, I'd take an alpine lake all day long. 

https://images.app.goo.gl/TuS2kGy7r8Tg38ZN7

56 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

Pools are full of urine, so I’ll pass. 

Born and raised on Lake Michigan so that’s hard to beat for me but...

A boat on the ocean, diving, snorkeling, etc, wins for me. I’ve been fortunate to do some amazing trips and have spent many many many days on the oceans around the world. 

I was at Lake Michigan once (navy pier)... it was May 12th, 42 degrees, and stupid windy. Pissed. Haha

Archived