Give CuJo's open scholly to McRoberts for the second semester ?

milehiiu

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Maybe we see how the season plays out.  He had a great game but let's see what happens.

Well, what I am proposing, is not for next season.  Just for next semester, seeing as how CuJo will be vacating his scholarship at the end of this semester. 

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Well, what I am proposing, is not for next season.  Just for next semester, seeing as how CuJo will be vacating his scholarship at the end of this semester. 

I didn't know you could do that.  I thought once you give a kid a scholarship- you couldn't make him a walk-on in the future.

If it's that easy- I would give him one for sure.  

Even if we had to give him a scholarship for two more seasons, I think an argument could be made to offer him one.  With all the turnover that's occurred in college basketball, why not assume a guy like McRoberts is one of your 13 most valuable players?

8 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Maybe we see how the season plays out.  He had a great game but let's see what happens.

He's been a part of the rotation for most of the season and will continue to be, what more do you need to see for him to earn a scholarship for second semester? 

11 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Also why don't we just wait and give him Prillers scholarship at the end of the year

There would be literally no difference between giving him the available scholly now and waiting to give him Priller’s scholarship at the end of the year.  Either way we’d go into next season with one less available scholarship.

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

There would be literally no difference between giving him the available scholly now and waiting to give him Priller’s scholarship at the end of the year.  Either way we’d go into next season with one less available scholarship.

I'm pretty sure we can give him the vacant one for just a semester. 

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Sure, why not.  no one else with as scholarship other than Morgan can score anyways.  Why not another scholarship player who can't score

That's a really strange way to look at it. We have an open scholarship, and a kid in our rotation is turning into a valuable role player as a walk-on. What does it matter if his role isn't to score? He brings things to the table our other guards don't. 

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

If you ask his parents they may say differently.  Tuition is not cheap and I feel it sets a great precedent in the locker room.  U want kids to give their all then u put your money where your mouth is.  Any player that's in the rotation deserves to be on scholarship

If we can give a lot of credit to CAN for being a great coach and getting so much out of a walk on, then why not reward the walk on

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Sure, why not.  no one else with as scholarship other than Morgan can score anyways.  Why not another scholarship player who can't score

Yeah because 9 rebounds, a handful of assists and the biggest play of the game against a top ranked team is meaningless. I don't give a $hit if he doesn't score. He provided stellar defense and more meaningful minutes in 1 game than half our scholarship players all year

15 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

McRoberts is a 6'6, long, jumpy guard who can defend and doesn't turn the ball over. He's proven he belongs on the court against high level competition. Why wouldn't we want him on scholarship with the open scholarship available. 

I don’t mean this as part of the scholarship discussion, just a general point, but how amazing would it be if he could develop a consistent 3-pt shot? Even just a baseline 3 that he can hit when the ball reverses. It would add so much to this team. 

Archived