Northwestern Pregame

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Didn’t watch it, what did NWU do to slam MSU like this? 

Out hustled, out rebounded, out shot, and out ran them. Dominated it from the opening tip.

If we play like we did the 1st half of Butler, they will run us out of the gym.

Snapshot of their roster...

NW.PNG.d58e90267d72dd9c8569b6c51513f471.PNG

10 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Didn’t watch it, what did NWU do to slam MSU like this? 

They have some very good players, and I personally think Chris Collins is a good coach...Surprisingly, they like to go up and down the floor...They won this year because when they had MSU down, they executed in the half court, and kept the lead...Didn't hurt that Sparty missed a lot of good, open looks early, and Langford seemed like the only one ready to play...Rocket Watts was terrible...

Boo Buie was lighting it up last night, but Kopp and Nance can be a handful too...

I think it'll be interesting to see CAM's defensive assignments...

My guess?

Rob > Buie

Al > Audige

Armaan > Kopp

Race > Nance

TJD > Beran

All 3 of their frontcourt can step out and hit the 3...So Race and TJD will have to guard the perimeter...

These guys are no joke...They have 7 guys averaging over 8 ppg and Gaines and Greer see time too...

We don't have our B10 britches on, they'll beat us...

Big 10 gauntlet has arrived. Zero laydowns from here until season is over. I don't know this version of Northwestern well at all but any team that can double digit Sparty must be doing something right. You don't luck into those wins.

My focus for IU pretty much remains the same. I need TJD to have 15-18 touches. Guards limit the turnovers and would be nice if Armaan/Al can continue 3 point shooting as of late.

I'll also add this. Given the B10 handing us one of the most difficult schedules....these early home games vs Northwestern, Penn St, and Maryland are almost must win. 

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The more I see of the Big Ten, the more concerned I am about how this season will go for the Hoosiers.  

And I think every fanbase in Champaign, Iowa City, East Lansing, and on and on.....is saying the same thing. No one is going 16-4 in the conference slate. 15-5 should get you title and the difference between 15-5 and 11-9 this year is the single game plays. That's how tight things will be. 

40 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The more I see of the Big Ten, the more concerned I am about how this season will go for the Hoosiers.  

this is kinda what i've been saying.  i like this team pretty well, but i understand how we could finish as bad as 8th in this conference as we were projected.  i also see how a .500 record in conference isn't even a given.  a 14-13 record is very possible.  

19 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

this is kinda what i've been saying.  i like this team pretty well, but i understand how we could finish as bad as 8th in this conference as we were projected.  i also see how a .500 record in conference isn't even a given.  a 14-13 record is very possible.  

To me, the 2 big X factors are Brunk and Stewart...Brunk provides a LOT of valuable frontcourt depth, and Stewart could be that compliment to Armaan shooting from 3...

Our defense will win us some games, but we're gonna have to be consistent from outside if we don't want people packing the lane on us...and you have to believe that B1G coaches see the lack of experienced/capable frontcourt players and will try to get Race and/or TJD a seat on the bench via foul trouble...

I'd say those two and their availability will go a long way toward determining if we finish in the top or lower half of the B1G...

^^ Could be, to me, it's hard to tell right now.

Brunk adds a lot to our front court play and depth, losing him is a real loss. I was pretty confident he would come off the bench with Race starting, but that's just a who starts discussion, there is no doubt he is important and a significant contributor, while Race has made a real jump. On Race, he has not been as aggressive offensively recently but I think that will change, the kid can ball.

On the other hand, most (myself included) did not see AF contributing as much as he has offensively, particularly from deep, this season. I do not mean to discount that at all, but I don't think he will maintain that kind of production from deep, I think he is shooting at the top end of his averages and they will come down. I don't think it's a good idea to assume he will continue to be a major 3-point shooter, the sample size is very small. If I am wrong, fantastic. But I think we'll need a lot more scoring from outside than we've had so far to compete well in the B1G, and that means getting Rob to hit, getting Al to hit, and getting Hunter minutes and shooting. 

2 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

^^ Could be, to me, it's hard to tell right now.

Brunk adds a lot to our front court play and depth, losing him is a real loss. I was pretty confident he would come off the bench with Race starting, but that's just a who starts discussion, there is no doubt he is important and a significant contributor, while Race has made a real jump. On Race, he has not been as aggressive offensively recently but I think that will change, the kid can ball.

On the other hand, most (myself included) did not see AF contributing as much as he has offensively, particularly from deep, this season. I do not mean to discount that at all, but I don't think he will maintain that kind of production from deep, I think he is shooting at the top end of his averages and they will come down. I don't think it's a good idea to assume he will continue to be a major 3-point shooter, the sample size is very small. If I am wrong, fantastic. But I think we'll need a lot more scoring from outside than we've had so far to compete well in the B1G, and that means getting Rob to hit, getting Al to hit, and getting Hunter minutes and shooting. 

I agree water will find it's level with Franklin, we just all hope that level is high 30s/low 40s. I also think water will find it's level with Al, which is that same range, so it may be a net neutral? I'm hoping and trying to talk myself into that, because Franklin isn't going 5/7 every game. Seeing him do it back to back games is VERY encouraging, though. 

Archived