Northwestern Pregame

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Lots of correlation there...Took his offense a while to catch up to the defense...

Bennett started in the 2009-2010,campaign...

2009-10 Virginia Cavaliers
Record: 15-16 (5-11, 9th in ACC)

ORtg: 102.2 (166th of 347)

DRtg: 99.2 (137th of 347)

2010-11 Virginia Cavaliers
Record: 16-15 (7-9, 7th in ACC)

ORtg: 99.5 (230th of 345)

DRtg: 100.4 (154th of 345)

2011-12 Virginia Cavaliers
Record: 22-10 (9-7, 4th in ACC)

ORtg: 101.9 (170th of 344)

DRtg: 88.4 (2nd of 344)

2012-13 Virginia Cavaliers
Record: 23-12 (11-7, 4th in ACC)

ORtg: 104.4 (107th of 347)

DRtg: 90.3 (16th of 347)

2013-14 Virginia Cavaliers 
Record: 30-7 (16-2, 1st in ACC)

ORtg: 108.8 (89th of 351)

DRtg: 91.6 (9th of 351)

2014-15 Virginia Cavaliers
Record: 30-4 (16-2, 1st in ACC)

ORtg: 110.8 (32nd of 351)

DRtg: 87.2 (2nd of 351)

2015-16 Virginia Cavaliers
Record: 29-8 (13-5, 2nd in ACC)

ORtg: 115.0 (16th of 351)

DRtg: 97.3 (47th of 351)

2016-17 Virginia Cavaliers
Record: 23-11 (11-7, 5th in ACC)

ORtg: 107.9 (100th of 351)

DRtg: 92.1 (6th of 351)

2017-18 Virginia Cavaliers 
Record: 31-3 (17-1, 1st in ACC)

ORtg: 110.4 (58th of 351)

DRtg: 88.8 (2nd of 351)

2018-19 Virginia Cavaliers (National Champions)
Record: 35-3 (16-2, 1st in ACC)

ORtg: 116.3 (4th of 353)

DRtg: 91.3 (6th of 353)

2019-20 Virginia Cavaliers 
Record: 23-7 (15-5, 2nd in ACC)

ORtg: 93.5 (330th of 353)

DRtg: 85.8 (1st of 353)

I think we'd all take that 11 year stretch...

Thanks for posting that.  I agree that would be a nice trajectory for us to follow.  The fourth year, where Archie is now, can be a pivot.  Tony went 11-7.  Measuring off that, we could go 12-8 this year in conference and then the following year take a huge leap.  This team has component parts to do well.  

12-8 this year would not be our end goal as a program, but it would be a sign of progress.  I think we have the ability to get it done.  

In the end, this all won’t be decided by a bunch of talk or abstruse stats. There is a binary outcome and you either win or lose.  Hopefully we get to that 12-8 level this year and then really blow forward next year as Tony did.  

23 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

NW is better than I thought they would be, but I’m not sure what they did to MSU the other night is who they really are either. Vegas favors IU by 8.5. That sounds about right I guess. I hope we can keep that as the margin throughout the game as opposed to just pushing it to that with free throws at the end. 

Northwestern actually has one of the top recruiting classes coming for next year.  They may be a couple of years away but Collins may be turning the corner there.  

6 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Northwestern actually has one of the top recruiting classes coming for next year.  They may be a couple of years away but Collins may be turning the corner there.  

Right now they have 3 RSCI top 100 kids...Kopp, Nance, and Beran...

Their size might bother us... we're gonna have to start with either Al or Armaan on Kopp, who's 6'7...and if we don't want to play Race and Trayce 40 minutes, someone (Jerome?) Will have to guard Nance or Beran.

Geez, I wish Joey was available...

42 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

NW is better than I thought they would be, but I’m not sure what they did to MSU the other night is who they really are either. Vegas favors IU by 8.5. That sounds about right I guess. I hope we can keep that as the margin throughout the game as opposed to just pushing it to that with free throws at the end. 

Northwestern is a good team. It'll be a very tough game. They have size (see above) and kids (Buie, Berry) who can shoot. If Buie starts feeling it, he can kill you...he killed MSU and they're historically one of the best defensive teams in the B1G year in and year out...

They also lost to Pitt (but just by 1). We’re playing well, other than the Texas game, and we’ll have scouted the hell out of the MSU game. I’m thinking tight 4-6 point game with swings and then some separation mid second half. I think out guys will bring it. Who stops TJD? Dude will be the best player on the floor -

but we’re going to need to be hitting outside shots and now we’ll see a team that has scouted AF well. Very interested to see how he plays offensively and who else gets it going outside to create more space. Could be a big game for a guy like Race inside 

3 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Thanks for posting that.  I agree that would be a nice trajectory for us to follow.  The fourth year, where Archie is now, can be a pivot.  Tony went 11-7.  Measuring off that, we could go 12-8 this year in conference and then the following year take a huge leap.  This team has component parts to do well.  

12-8 this year would not be our end goal as a program, but it would be a sign of progress.  I think we have the ability to get it done.  

In the end, this all won’t be decided by a bunch of talk or abstruse stats. There is a binary outcome and you either win or lose.  Hopefully we get to that 12-8 level this year and then really blow forward next year as Tony did.  

12-8 would be great, but I don't think if we end up 11-9 or 10-10 we should balk at that with our schedule. That should put us a solid notch above where we would have been seeded last year. 

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Northwestern is a good team. It'll be a very tough game. They have size (see above) and kids (Buie, Berry) who can shoot. If Buie starts feeling it, he can kill you...he killed MSU and they're historically one of the best defensive teams in the B1G year in and year out...

Historically yes but currently they’re 54th. 

See... on the plus side, we come in at #30 in AP votes this week and have a lot of matchups that should drop a handful of teams between 29 - 20.  If we win this game, I think we should be ranked for a week.  I would be happy to see a number by INDIANA!  The bad news is we'll likely get knocked out right away.  The scary thing is I look at tonight's game as a sort of must win.  Obviously not bc NW is bad.  It's just that we have to at least win games like this because all of these are very unlikely:  @Iowa  @MSU  @Illinois  @Wisconsin  @Rutgers  @OSU  Vs. Iowa  Vs. Mich St.  Vs. Illinois.  Some will argue that we'll win 1 or 2 of those.  Fine, but then we can't slip vs. NW, vs. (#11) Rutgers, @ NW, or @ Purdue.  Scary to think about!

I think the keys to the game are:

How well Armaan guards Kopp...He's at a size disadvantage, but he was against the Barnes kid from FSU too, and did a good job...

How well Rob defends Buie...Boo went for 30 against MSU...some 3s were 5-7 feet beyond the line...He can kill you, but I've also seen him get carried away and shoot the Wildcats out of a few games...

Keeping our bigs out of foul trouble. If Jerome has to play over 15 minutes at the 4, we're in trouble. Butler posted him up every time he was in...can't imagine Collins wouldn't have Beran or Nance do that too, and they're bigger than the Butler kids...

How well TJD does in the paint...He's stronger than either big Northwestern starts, but they are both decent post defenders...We need another double-double from him...

Armaan keeps shooting it from 3 well...and it'd be nice for Rob and or Al to get going too...

I wish we had a filled Assembly Hall to welcome them...But still, the road is a tough place for B1G teams...

38 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

See... on the plus side, we come in at #30 in AP votes this week and have a lot of matchups that should drop a handful of teams between 29 - 20.  If we win this game, I think we should be ranked for a week.  I would be happy to see a number by INDIANA!  The bad news is we'll likely get knocked out right away.  The scary thing is I look at tonight's game as a sort of must win.  Obviously not bc NW is bad.  It's just that we have to at least win games like this because all of these are very unlikely:  @Iowa  @MSU  @Illinois  @Wisconsin  @Rutgers  @OSU  Vs. Iowa  Vs. Mich St.  Vs. Illinois.  Some will argue that we'll win 1 or 2 of those.  Fine, but then we can't slip vs. NW, vs. (#11) Rutgers, @ NW, or @ Purdue.  Scary to think about!

Yeah, the trajectory of this team and season isn't really going to be determined on how we do against Iowa, MSU, Illinois. IU will likely steal 1-2 is shouldn't there. 

The season will be determined on how the team does vs those other middle of the pack teams. The difference between a 4-6 finish in conference and a 8-10 finish is how you do vs. the Rutgers, Michigan, OSU, Penn State and Maryland's of the conference.  

9 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, the trajectory of this team and season isn't really going to be determined on how we do against Iowa, MSU, Illinois. IU will likely steal 1-2 is shouldn't there. 

The season will be determined on how the team does vs those other middle of the pack teams. The difference between a 4-6 finish in conference and a 8-10 finish is how you do vs. the Rutgers, Michigan, OSU, Penn State and Maryland's of the conference.  

I wouldn't call Rutgers middle of the pack...I put them up there with the top 4 you have listed...They're really good...Ron Harper Jr has made the leap to star this year...

37 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I wouldn't call Rutgers middle of the pack...I put them up there with the top 4 you have listed...They're really good...Ron Harper Jr has made the leap to star this year...

crazy to think they are currently #11 in the nation!  that's part of what is scary.  of course there are upsets all the time in college bball, but even if our games all turned out that the favorites won all of them, we'd be under .500 right?  let's hope the upsets go our way more than they go against us!  really want this game tonight.  

Plenty of background here on the Wildcats.  Fairly surprising point spread in this one, which probably says more about Michigan State than anything else.  But I think it will be much closer than an eight point game.  NW is clearly better than the Butler team we saw a couple days ago.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-game-day-hoosiers-open-big-ten-play-with-emerging-northwestern-squad/

25 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Plenty of background here on the Wildcats.  Fairly surprising point spread in this one, which probably says more about Michigan State than anything else.  But I think it will be much closer than an eight point game.  NW is clearly better than the Butler team we saw a couple days ago.

Line actually opened -10.  Line don't lie.  Take the Hoosiers. 

18 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

This needs to be a breakout year.  Freaking Rutgers has passed us up and their coach has been at the helm one year longer than Miller and nobody in their right mind would argue that Rutgers is a better job.

Archived