Re-Evaluating IU's Big Ten Chances

5fouls

IU sitting at 1-1.

In reviewing the remaining conference games on the schedule, I can find 4 guaranteed losses.

• Purdue
  • Michigan State  X 2
  • @ Minnesota

I can find only 1 game that I would consider a guaranteed win

• Home against Illinois

Other Home games we should win

• Penn State
  • Northwestern
  • Ohio State

Other Road games we likely lose

• Wisconsin
  • Ohio State

Games I would define as 'swing'

• Maryland - Home
  • Minnesota - Home
  • Illinois - Road
  • Iowa - Road
  • Nebraska - Road
  • Rutgers - Road

If the games I've identified as 'guaranteed' and 'should' play out as I have listed, and we split the swing games, that's 7 more conference wins and 9 more conference losses, for a 8-10 conference record.  Assuming we beat Youngstown next week, that would give us an overall regular season record of 15-15.

Yuck.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

IU sitting at 1-1.

In reviewing the remaining conference games on the schedule, I can find 4 guaranteed losses.

• Purdue
  • Michigan State  X 2
  • @ Minnesota

I can find only 1 game that I would consider a guaranteed win

• Home against Illinois

Other Home games we should win

• Penn State
  • Northwestern
  • Ohio State

Other Road games we likely lose

• Wisconsin
  • Ohio State

Games I would define as 'swing'

• Maryland - Home
  • Minnesota - Home
  • Illinois - Road
  • Iowa - Road
  • Nebraska - Road
  • Rutgers - Road

If the games I've identified as 'guaranteed' and 'should' play out as I have listed, and we split the swing games, that's 7 more conference wins and 9 more conference losses, for a 8-10 conference record.  Assuming we beat Youngstown next week, that would give us an overall regular season record of 15-15.

Yuck.

have you watched Wisconsin?

2 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

have you watched Wisconsin?

I have watched Wisconsin.  I've also watched us play in the Kohl Center the last 20 years.  That's a likely loss this early in the conference season.  If it was later in the schedule, I may have considered it a swing game.

It all depends. The story of this season is going to be consistency. Will guys like Davis, Johnson, Newkirk and Green develop any, or is this who they are? If we can get consistency, then IU could surprise, if the roller coaster is who they are then we probably end up a couple games over .500 or so. 

11 minutes ago, BGleas said:

It all depends. The story of this season is going to be consistency. Will guys like Davis, Johnson, Newkirk and Green develop any, or is this who they are? If we can get consistency, then IU could surprise, if the roller coaster is who they are then we probably end up a couple games over .500 or so. 

I'm not sure the schedule allows for us to remain inconsistent and finish over .500 in the conference.  Maybe if we played MSU only once, and Purdue (a loss) was a road game while Rutgers/Nebraska (swing) were home games, I could buy a 10-8 record while still being inconsistent.  But, the way it is, we MUST become more consistent to have dreams of 10-8 or 11-7. 

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

I'm not sure the schedule allows for us to remain inconsistent and finish over .500 in the conference.  Maybe if we played MSU only once, and Purdue (a loss) was a road game while Rutgers/Nebraska (swing) were home games, I could buy a 10-8 record while still being inconsistent.  But, the way it is, we MUST become more consistent to have dreams of 10-8 or 11-7. 

I meant maybe a couple games over .500 overall if IU remains inconsistent, which would be .500 in conference probably. 

As bad as ISU and FW where, surely we can agree those were anomolies and the team we've seen the other 11 games is more so who we are? If that's the case, I see us winning 10 or maybe 11 more conference games. I don't know where that puts us for the season as far as postseason play, but I don't see us finishing below .500. 

I kinda think 12-6 and making it to Saturday of BTT gets us in. 

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

As bad as ISU and FW where, surely we can agree those were anomolies and the team we've seen the other 11 games is more so who we are? If that's the case, I see us winning 10 or maybe 11 more conference games. I don't know where that puts us for the season as far as postseason play, but I don't see us finishing below .500. 

At this point, I think you have to be looking through pretty heavily tinted cream and crimson glasses to see us getting to 10 conference wins.  I guess anything is possible, but I just think this team is way too limited.  Not enough talent and not enough heart.  Going to be really difficult to string together wins in the Big Ten.

13 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Two bad losses and only one quality win unless we manage to knock off Sparty or Purdue. .500 in the B1G and the NIT is really the realistic goal for this team. 

4 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

At this point, I think you have to be looking through pretty heavily tinted cream and crimson glasses to see us getting to 10 conference wins.  I guess anything is possible, but I just think this team is way too limited.  Not enough talent and not enough heart.  Going to be really difficult to string together wins in the Big Ten.

Absolutely agree with this.  But, I do feel we will see this team continue to improve, sometimes taking a step back, but generally improving throughout the season.  Should finish pre-conference at 8-6.  IF, they somehow finish 10-8 in conference, that puts them at 18-14, before the Big Ten Tournament.   For a transition year, can definitely build off of that.  

i like the optimism that some still show after a win.  wait til the next loss and people will be back to realizing this is nowhere near a tourney team.  .500 seems like a reasonable goal.  do we forget how hard it is to win a B1G game on the road even against the weaker teams?  .500 in the conference for this team would be a really nice surprise to me.

9 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I have watched Wisconsin.  I've also watched us play in the Kohl Center the last 20 years.  That's a likely loss this early in the conference season.  If it was later in the schedule, I may have considered it a swing game.

This year's Wisconsin team is another animal. They're a bad team. I don't consider it a likely loss, more like a who knows, which for me applies for most of our games. I thought the timing of your thread here was kind of interesting. We just played a good game, really, all around. We clearly played a horrible game, all around, against FW. But the guys also have shown the ability to play well, including against teams like Duke, Louisville and ND. I said interesting because at the start of the year you were more optimistic than most on this team's chances, and discounted the loss of 3 double digit scorers to the NBA. I was not optimistic. I wouldn't say I'm really optimistic now, but I see reason to believe we can do better than this projection.

Archived