It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

18 minutes ago, Rogermci said:

No way Archie is gone after this year.  Pay him $10 mil to leave and then expect a high level coach to come in knowing he only has 4 years to produce?  Preposterous. 

This is such a loser's mentality. 4 years is an eternity in sports. Kentucky fired a guy after 2 seasons and got John Calipari. The best coaches don't need anywhere close to 4 years to show what they've got. 

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, T-Free20 said:

Honest questions...

If CAM is done after this year or next, who are the candidates to replace him? Is IUBB to the point that we can't bring in a bigger name already proven coach?

I start to wonder if coaches see the high expectations from the fan base and would prefer to not leave their current situations that may be very comfortable with manageable expectations.

I, along with the rest of you, absolutely want IUBB to be elite and considered a blue blood again. But I think the reality of it is that rebuilding this program very well may take longer than most are willing to accept.

We will either have to get another up and coming from mid majors or get an average coach at a major program.  there will be no coaches who is a great coach at a major program leaving there job to come here.  Maybe if there is a great coach who is doesn't have a job right now like Belien.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

We will either have to get another up and coming from mid majors or get an average coach at a major program.  there will be no coaches who is a great coach at a major program leaving there job to come here.  Maybe if there is a great coach who is doesn't have a job right now like Belien.

Thad Matta.  There are others. We don’t need to keep going round and round on this. 

My fear is Dolson being a manager when Alford played, and that he’s connected with a lot of ex-players.  That’s a big concern.  

3 hours ago, Rogermci said:

No way Archie is gone after this year.  Pay him $10 mil to leave and then expect a high level coach to come in knowing he only has 4 years to produce?  Preposterous. 

This is my thought too...no top tier coach is going to come here thinking he may only get 4 years.

3 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

This is such a loser's mentality. 4 years is an eternity in sports. Kentucky fired a guy after 2 seasons and got John Calipari. The best coaches don't need anywhere close to 4 years to show what they've got. 

Calipari signed with UK for about $4mil per season. And he came from Memphis (American Athletic Conference) to the SEC. They paid what they had to, but UK's better days weren't as far in the rearview mirror as they are at IU.

Just curious, among the best coaches, who do you think we would have a realistic shot at getting??

34 minutes ago, Cutter said:

He was hired because he has a serious case of optical rectumitis 

I honestly have no idea what that means 😂

But if I'm following, the thought is that he might try to get Alford here, is that it?

At this point I think we should look at Fife, but at this point I really don't know who else to consider.

24 minutes ago, T-Free20 said:

Calipari signed with UK for about $4mil per season. And he came from Memphis (American Athletic Conference) to the SEC. They paid what they had to, but UK's better days weren't as far in the rearview mirror as they are at IU.

Just curious, among the best coaches, who do you think we would have a realistic shot at getting??

I've wanted Billy Donovan for years, but maybe that ship has sailed by now. Not sure how realistic our other options may be, but at this point, I just want to flush the last 4 seasons down the toilet and start fresh. Just sick and tired of bad, losing basketball. Even more tired of this namby-pamby nonsense about how firing a coach after 4 years is somehow going to make people afraid of this job. 

Those who still think Archie Miller needs more time, I think it's just a case of "the devil you know is better than the one you don't." I'm having a hard time coming up with any other reasons why they're ok with where we are right now or why they think it will somehow get better. 

4 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I've wanted Billy Donovan for years, but maybe that ship has sailed by now. Not sure how realistic our other options may be, but at this point, I just want to flush the last 4 seasons down the toilet and start fresh. Just sick and tired of bad, losing basketball. Even more tired of this namby-pamby nonsense about how firing a coach after 4 years is somehow going to make people afraid of this job. 

Those who still think Archie Miller needs more time, I think it's just a case of "the devil you know is better than the one you don't." I'm having a hard time coming up with any other reasons why they're ok with where we are right now or why they think it will somehow get better. 

I don't.know if Archie is going to turn it around but do know he will be here next year.  I know people get tired of hearing this but a lot of top coaches took at least 4 or 5 years to finally start winning big time.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't.know if Archie is going to turn it around but do know he will be here next year.  I know people get tired of hearing this but a lot of top coaches took at least 4 or 5 years to finally start winning big time.

1) "a lot" of coaches? Really? If a lot of coaches took that long to turn it around, I don't think this would be a topic. When you've gotten 4 years of mostly garbage basketball and recruiting is poor, more often than not, you don't have the right guy. 

2) This isn't directed at you, but more of a request to our fanbase in general: let's stop parroting that "he will be here next year." This belief is a security blanket for our AD, who will feel he doesn't need to do anything because we've already accepted our fate. We need to keep the pressure on and make it known that we don't like the results we're getting, and since fans can't go to games, this is about the only place to do it. Will a change be made this year? I don't know; nobody does. Yes, I know what the buyout is. Money is an object; it can be negotiated, and pressure from the right people can make things happen. 

2 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

1) "a lot" of coaches? Really? If a lot of coaches took that long to turn it around, I don't think this would be a topic. When you've gotten 4 years of mostly garbage basketball and recruiting is poor, more often than not, you don't have the right guy. 

2) This isn't directed at you, but more of a request to our fanbase in general: let's stop parroting that "he will be here next year." This belief is a security blanket for our AD, who will feel he doesn't need to do anything because we've already accepted our fate. We need to keep the pressure on and make it known that we don't like the results we're getting, and since fans can't go to games, this is about the only place to do it. Will a change be made this year? I don't know; nobody does. Yes, I know what the buyout is. Money is an object; it can be negotiated, and pressure from the right people can make things happen. 

Well I don't think the AD can go into the president's office and ask for 10 million for a buyout during a pandemic.  With this I don't think there is anyway that Archie will be fired after this year.

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well I don't think the AD can go into the president's office and ask for 10 million for a buyout during a pandemic.  With this I don't think there is anyway that Archie will be fired after this year.

Fortunately, we don't have to hand him $10 million on his way out the door because that's not how buyouts work. 

Just now, TheWatShot said:

Fortunately, we don't have to hand him $10 million on his way out the door because that's not how buyouts work. 

You still owe him that money plus what the new coach will be making.  Also that new coach probably will have a buyout and you have to pay that.

32 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

What is bad about his recruiting? Why is it considered to be down?

Stay, go, what if new coach is bad...oh man what would we do if we go 4 years without a ncaa tournament...oh wait...nothing because that is us now. Even an avg college coach can stumble to a 500 record at IU...there is enough talent willing to come here regardless. At this point could it get any worse?? I mean are we worried the new coach wouldn’t get us into the NIT? I’d much rather us suck then by mediocre. At least then I wouldn’t waste my time watching.

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Stay, go, what if new coach is bad...oh man what would we do if we go 4 years without a ncaa tournament...oh wait...nothing because that is us now. Even an avg college coach can stumble to a 500 record at IU...there is enough talent willing to come here regardless. At this point could it get any worse?? I mean are we worried the new coach wouldn’t get us into the NIT? I’d much rather us suck then by mediocre. At least then I wouldn’t waste my time watching.guys that we have 

You know we would have made it last year if it wasn't cancelled.  Guys we have no shot at Coach K, Wright, Bennett, Self, Cal, Few, Stevens, Donavan.  So who are all of these great coaches that will be lining up tp come here.  The only one maybe would be Beard and it sounds like he has no desire to leave the state of Texas.

You know we would have made it last year if it wasn't cancelled.  Guys we have no shot at Coach K, Wright, Bennett, Self, Cal, Few, Stevens, Donavan.  So who are all of these great coaches that will be lining up tp come here.  The only one maybe would be Beard and it sounds like he has no desire to leave the state of Texas.

I don’t know that for certain. We were no lock...selection committee has made stranger decisions. And FYI joe Lenardi is not the selection committee.

We were projected to make it in about 98% of the projections.

If you say so. I wasn’t comfortable when the season ended...I felt we needed another win to be safely in but maybe that’s because I’ve seen selection committee do strange things or contradict themselves. Whatever the case it didn’t feel like a good season. I also don’t count play in games part of the tournament...or whatever the new first rd of 4 teams is.

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

If you say so. I wasn’t comfortable when the season ended...I felt we needed another win to be safely in but maybe that’s because I’ve seen selection committee do strange things or contradict themselves. Whatever the case it didn’t feel like a good season. I also don’t count play in games part of the tournament...or whatever the new first rd of 4 teams is.

Well most had us as a 9 or 10 seed and not in the play in games.  I thought after the Neb. we were in and I thought we would have beaten PSU in the next game.

1 hour ago, T-Free20 said:

What is bad about his recruiting? Why is it considered to be down?

The '21 class was considered a gold mine in the state of Indiana and he whiffed on everybody. Our only incoming recruit is averaging 4 turnovers a game the last couple weeks and probably won't see anymore playing time than Leal and Lander are getting right now. 

Recruiting is just stalled right now. We've had one commitment in the past year. Losing and looking bad on the court have consequences. This is kind of why it's important to win early and show people you're on the upswing. The Archie Miller 5 year rebuilding plan just isn't doing it for most people, including recruits. 

1 minute ago, TheWatShot said:

The '21 class was considered a gold mine in the state of Indiana and he whiffed on everybody. Our only incoming recruit is averaging 4 turnovers a game the last couple weeks and probably won't see anymore playing time than Leal and Lander are getting right now. 

Recruiting is just stalled right now. We've had one commitment in the past year. Losing and looking bad on the court have consequences. This is kind of why it's important to win early and show people you're on the upswing. The Archie Miller 5 year rebuilding plan just isn't doing it for most people, including recruits. 

We got the best player in that class

Archived