It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

For the record, I'm not on the fire Archie train.  But the clock is ticking to see substantive improvement in this program under his watch.  I think he deserves through next year to show it.  I also agree with what some have said in this thread, conversations and threads like these can be counterproductive to that goal.  

As a corollary,  ya think Auburn football was satisfied with 8-4 or 7-5 seasons because "Alabama, LSU, Florida, and Georgia are really good"?  Heck no.  They sit upon a recruiting gold mine in the southeast, pour money into their program, and expect to see results.  

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Sincerely. Thank you...

My other question to those already on the fire Archie train, is...

Knowing that it's almost a certainty that he'll be back next year, does that mean the beeyotching will continue for the next year and a half?

You should know the answer before you ask the question.  If this team next year plays like they have the last 3.5 years people will not be happy

He's coming back next season, but time's running out. His first 4-year recruiting cycle is coming to an end, and so far it's been a little ugly. How long would it take to get us to the top 3 in BIG and a sweet 16? If we have to wait for 6 years or more, Archie doesn't belong here. I thought Archie had a real high ceiling as a coach, but now I'm not sure any more and probably not. So from this point and on, it's gonna be a gamble for IU. Should IU believe in Archie's potential and give him more time to grow as an elite coach or should IU close the chapter and pull the trigger within 2 years? I just feel fortunate that I don't have to make that decision. 

2 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

He's coming back next season, but time's running out. His first 4-year recruiting cycle is coming to an end, and so far it's been a little ugly. How long would it take to get us to the top 3 in BIG and a sweet 16? If we have to wait for 6 years or more, Archie doesn't belong here. I thought Archie had a real high ceiling as a coach, but now I'm not sure any more and probably not. So from this point and on, it's gonna be a gamble for IU. Should IU believe in Archie's potential and give him more time to grow as an elite coach or should IU close the chapter and pull the trigger within 2 years? I just feel fortunate that I don't have to make that decision. 

If TJD comes back, top 3 B1G and S16 MINIMUM would presumably be the expectation next year.  

Just now, Bustout said:

If TJD comes back, top 3 B1G and S16 MINIMUM would presumably be the expectation next year.  

I agree with you. Only if TJD comes back. Our team will be a old, mature team, and it's gonna be  'Top 3 B1G and S16' or bust. I don't know how you feel, but to me, it's kind of sad that Archie's future totally depends on TJD's return.

1 hour ago, CincyHoosier said:

As a corollary,  ya think Auburn football was satisfied with 8-4 or 7-5 seasons because "Alabama, LSU, Florida, and Georgia are really good"?  Heck no.  They sit upon a recruiting gold mine in the southeast, pour money into their program, and expect to see results.  

Great comparison,  although Bama before Saban might be even more appropriate.   They were a sleeping giant living off their past success, but had HUGE expectations. 

39 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

I agree with you. Only if TJD comes back. Our team will be a old, mature team, and it's gonna be  'Top 3 B1G and S16' or bust. I don't know how you feel, but to me, it's kind of sad that Archie's future totally depends on TJD's return.

I agree.  It's just that we have no answer if he is not back.  We would have a lot of guys who might have improved and given us nice pieces, but if we don't have TJD in there, it's hard to see us being better next year.  

1 hour ago, addictedtoIU said:

Agree ... but hopefully each of the following years, it’s just a matter of back-filling guys that left.  “Get old, stay old”.   I’m really really hoping it’s - give Archie 5 years and he’ll give you 25.   

Either way - next year is Archies make or break year.  

.... and yes I realize I have a lot of “hopes” after 4 years!   I’m equally as frustrated as everyone  

3 minutes ago, Bustout said:

Agree ... but hopefully each of the following years, it’s just a matter of back-filling guys that left.  “Get old, stay old”.   I’m really really hoping it’s - give Archie 5 years and he’ll give you 25.   

Either way - next year is Archies make or break year.  

.... and yes I realize I have a lot of “hopes” after 4 years!   I’m equally as frustrated as everyone  

In fairness this season ain’t over. Everyone is talking about next year even though there’s a lot left in this season to see where we end up. Premature 

4 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

In fairness this season ain’t over. Everyone is talking about next year even though there’s a lot left in this season to see where we end up. Premature 

I'm thinking the point is that people are starting to admit he'll get at least one more year.  I really don't know what to think.  I still say we'll end up a game over or under .500 overall, but that he won't get fired.  When I think about next year though, I could be convinced we'll do well enough to save his job.  On the other hand, if TJD leaves, I could see us being at about the same level.  

2 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

I'm thinking the point is that people are starting to admit he'll get at least one more year.  I really don't know what to think.  I still say we'll end up a game over or under .500 overall, but that he won't get fired.  When I think about next year though, I could be convinced we'll do well enough to save his job.  On the other hand, if TJD leaves, I could see us being at about the same level.  

Yeah, unless they lose out or close to it , I just don’t see them parting ways this off season.    

11 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

The thing is that this team has not yet shown that they can put long streak of good play.  If they can't play more than one good game in a row then it will be hard to consistently win games.

4 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

So we justify it by saying everyone else is getting better? I wonder if my boss would buy that? I could get 4 years to be less than mediocre.  Thanks for that I will see what he thinks. 

The fact that we even say things like this truly show that we as a fan base and program have no real expectations.  We're number 10 but everyone ahead of us are really good.

I'd argue if your boss was halfway decent they would look at your progress and what you're doing to improve.

If your kids improved their grades, but their class ranked dropped a little, would you ground them?

3 hours ago, CincyHoosier said:

For the record, I'm not on the fire Archie train.  But the clock is ticking to see substantive improvement in this program under his watch.  I think he deserves through next year to show it.  I also agree with what some have said in this thread, conversations and threads like these can be counterproductive to that goal.  

Gus Malzahn is a much closer comparison to Tom Crean than he is Archie Miller. Try again.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

The thing is that this team has not yet shown that they can put long streak of good play.  If they can't play more than one good game in a row then it will be hard to consistently win games.

Scott I’ve been telling my friends this same thing. They can’t put winning streaks together .

Archived