It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

2 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

Not many coaches think that way at all.  If IU was playing good defense and had a Steve Alford shooting the ball then I agree with you.  Plus a 50% free throw shooters percentage drops significantly in crunch time situations. As do all free throw shooters percentages 

I agreed not fouling and see a lot of coaches not foul with that much time on the clock.  It worked but our guys did not do their job and get the rebound.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Jackson Kellogs said:

The University has the money to do it lol so yeah why not? I don’t give a crap about the buyout! 

You got the 10 million for the buyout.  With the pandemic going on it would be hard to justify buying out a basketball coach worth 10 million when that money could be used elsewhere.

22 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I agreed not fouling and see a lot of coaches not foul with that much time on the clock.  It worked but our guys did not do their job and get the rebound.

It didn't work though. You gave yourself 1 chance and need a 3. Why not give your self 3 or 4 opportunities to have a chance

Apathy has set in with the fan base.  We lost.  At home.  To a Rutgers team on a five game losing streak.  And the post game thread is only 5 pages.  We are frustrated but not in the least surprised with the loss.   Get a new coach, don’t get a new coach.  But when you lose the fan base as a coach, you are in deep trouble.  

The thing is if we don't make the tournament I think we are in a no win situation especially with recruiting.  If we bring Archie back but everyone knows he is on the hot seat so the 22 class will be hard to bring in many top players.  Even if we make a change and more than likely it will not be an elite coach so that will hurt with the 22 class.

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The thing is if we don't make the tournament I think we are in a no win situation especially with recruiting.  If we bring Archie back but everyone knows he is on the hot seat so the 22 class will be hard to bring in many top players.  Even if we make a change and more than likely it will not be an elite coach so that will hurt with the 22 class.

Which is why you have to have Beard locked up before you make a change. He built TT quickly with transfers

3 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Which is why you have to have Beard locked up before you make a change. He built TT quickly with transfers

Like I have said I don't think he is leaving Texas.  Also he has proven he can win at TT so why would he leave to come here and be under this pressure.  As long as he keeps TT competitive he will have a job for a long time.

Just now, IU Scott said:

Like I have said I don't think he is leaving Texas.  Also he has proven he can win at TT so why would he leave to come here and be under this pressure.  As long as he keeps TT competitive he will have a job for a long time.

I agree it’s a very long shot. The only reasons would be CBK and the chance to revive a historic blue blood. No matter how much success he has at TT it will be a backwater to Kansas. With Shaka resurrecting his career at TX, that window may be closing.

11 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I don’t think there is much roster movement needed to be a top conference team. If TJD comes back, a top notch coach, then this team could be extremely good next season. 

24 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

As I said previously, if I were Dolson I'd give him a 2 year extension with a slight raise, but the buyout stays at 3 mil. That would answer the recruiting question.

But, I'd also have an ultra serious talk. We can't tread water forever. You have to start competing for the top spot.

In other words, "here's a little more rope. You can use it as a lifeline, or make it into a moose."

9 minutes ago, Feathery said:

I don’t think there is much roster movement needed to be a top conference team. If TJD comes back, a top notch coach, then this team could be extremely good next season. 

Honestly if we get TJD and Brunk back next year with the improvement from the current freshmen, I think we could be very good.  

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Honestly if we get TJD and Brunk back next year with the improvement from the current freshmen, I think we could be very good.  

They can be and they have shown this year that they can compete and win against top teams.  I don't know how you practice this but one thing they have to get better at is bring energy and passion every game.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

They can be and they have shown this year that they can compete and win against top teams.  I don't know how you practice this but one thing they have to get better at is bring energy and passion every game.

See, I think that is extremely tough.  On one hand I agree with @BGleasthat the players have to bring it.  You need player leaders and it is also somewhat something you have or don't.  On the other hand, I do think if you're a great coach your players are going to play their guts out for you.  I don't think I was necessarily a great X's and O's coach as a high school girls coach, but I do think I got them to play as hard as they could every night.  We won a lot.  

2 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

See, I think that is extremely tough.  On one hand I agree with @BGleasthat the players have to bring it.  You need player leaders and it is also somewhat something you have or don't.  On the other hand, I do think if you're a great coach your players are going to play their guts out for you.  I don't think I was necessarily a great X's and O's coach as a high school girls coach, but I do think I got them to play as hard as they could every night.  We won a lot.  

To me it is hard to teach leadership and I think great leaders are born and not created

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

To me it is hard to teach leadership and I think great leaders are born and not created

Totally agree, but I do think you can get better at it.  My son is definitely not a natural born leader.  He is very introverted, but I have seen him get more and more vocal and organizing team outings, etc. because he knows he needs to, but it's not natural for him.  

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Teams have figured out in these situations they can draw TJD away from the basket and if they miss they have a great chance of rebounding a miss for a put back. It has happened several times in the past two seasons. 

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

It didn't work though. You gave yourself 1 chance and need a 3. Why not give your self 3 or 4 opportunities to have a chance

Agree 1000%.  Especially on a team that struggles with free throws.  I never, ever want to be down 3 with under 10 seconds.  Too many things have to go absolutely perfect to even get a tie.  

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Agree 1000%.  Especially on a team that struggles with free throws.  I never, ever want to be down 3 with under 10 seconds.  Too many things have to go absolutely perfect to even get a tie.  

Hell the Pacer were down 8 points with 9 seconds left and won LOL!

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Years ago Vitale (I know) said a college coach needs to do three things to be successful, teach, recruit and motivate. I believe he has done the first two well enough to build a winning foundation, but surprisingly has failed at the third. 

Just now, 13th&Jackson said:

Years ago Vitale (I know) said a college coach needs to do three things to be successful, teach, recruit and motivate. I believe he has done the first two well enough to build a winning foundation, but surprisingly has failed at the third. 

I don't know if I'm completely sold he can't motivate, but it shocks me.  Like BGleas has said a few times, that's what I thought we were getting.  I thought we were headed to a team that would be hard nosed, tough, physical, solid D, etc.  I would have never dreamed that he wouldn't be able to motivate and get guys to play hard.  Today's bball society is so tough though.  Kids' attitudes and personalities are so tough and unpredictable.  I'm glad I'll be done with travel ball in a couple years.  It's only gonna get worse.    

2 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

I don't know if I'm completely sold he can't motivate, but it shocks me.  Like BGleas has said a few times, that's what I thought we were getting.  I thought we were headed to a team that would be hard nosed, tough, physical, solid D, etc.  I would have never dreamed that he wouldn't be able to motivate and get guys to play hard.  Today's bball society is so tough though.  Kids' attitudes and personalities are so tough and unpredictable.  I'm glad I'll be done with travel ball in a couple years.  It's only gonna get worse.    

You have to coddle players to much and be PC.  You can't really get into kids nay longer because the parents will pull the kids out and transfer.  that what happens when people are to soft today.

Archived