Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

1 minute ago, mrflynn03 said:

No he doesn't but realistically how long do you think it would take him to establish his program at a new school?  It's not happening in year one. 

Establish to what extent? Do I think he would win the national title in year 1? Probably not. Would I expect him not to finish in last place after his 3rd season? Absolutely. 

If Jay Wright was hired here I'd expect tournament appearances in years 1 and 2 and by year 3 or 4 a team that could legitimately challenge for a B10 title and make a serious tournament run. I'd expect any coach we hire to do that.

• Like 2

Just now, NotIThatLives said:

But Villanova is not a mecca of college basketball.  IU has that potential because it has been one.  

He won 2 titles in 4 years at Villanova. And walked away. For reason. He's 62 years old. He doesn't have a thing left to prove to anyone. Retired on top on his own terms. 

2 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Establish to what extent? Do I think he would win the national title in year 1? Probably not. Would I expect him not to finish in last place after his 3rd season? Absolutely. 

If Jay Wright was hired here I'd expect tournament appearances in years 1 and 2 and by year 3 or 4 a team that could legitimately challenge for a B10 title and make a serious tournament run. I'd expect any coach we hire to do that.

Then you'd be expecting too much. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

He won 2 titles in 4 years at Villanova. And walked away. For reason. He's 62 years old. He doesn't have a thing left to prove to anyone. Retired on top on his own terms. 

Those are true but again, maybe.  He's not that old.  I mean,  I'm going to retire happily at 60 with my pension and investments not being in 8 figures like him.  IU was prepared to make Brad Stevens the highest or 2nd highest paid coach along with K and Cal.  We are idiots if we don't try.  

6 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

2 years.  Probably makes the tourney fairly easy in year 2.  

I could see that as a best case. You'd have to assume he'd retain enough of the roster and be able to work the portal which is no guarantee. 

Not saying he wouldn't be a great option. 

I'll never lower my expectations as an IU fan. The right coach would have IU playing highly competitive basketball in year 1 and would be looking to do serious damage by year 3.....yes I'm looking at Chris Beard.

Winners win. There's no secret formula or some time frame for born winners to succeed. Knight didn't need a decade and Beard through multiple stops has shown the same ability to win and win now. Stop hiring unqualified candidates to begin with and giving them 4,5,6+ years.

Edited by IndyResident16
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Who were those upperclassmen? Pritchard and Jones? Seriously? Jeremiah Rivers!?! 

Highly and nationally ranked underclassmen? You mean the two that were injured, that I mentioned? 

To the bold, let's continue to just be adults here and talk sports. If you need to continue to take personal digs to try and get your point across, it'll be difficult for anyone to want to discuss anything with you. 

Again, that season is an anomaly. I am completely confused of the Duke, UK, KU, and UNC comment ---we aren't those schools, clearly.  

It is better to put him on ignore. Wish people would stop replying to him so we wouldn't have to see his post 

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

7 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Then you'd be expecting too much. 

Jay Wright made the NCAAT in his 4th year at Villanova. He made his first FF in year 8. He won his first championship in year 15. The knock on him for years was losing early in the NCAAT as a high seed. 

The guy is an outstanding coach, but this is why you don't hire a coach in his 60s without an obvious succession plan to continue what that coach starts to build. Jay Wright at IU would be a total rebuild. His Villanova teams played four out with shooters all over the floor. He also developed a culture of quality veteran guys who stuck around. That takes time. His bad years were when he started chasing 5 stars. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

For any coach?  I just don't think it's realistic anymore for a new coach at a program that hasn't had a consistent winning culture for 25 years. 

I want those results of course. 

IU shouldn't be hiring just "any coach". That's why hiring the Mike Woodson's and the Archie Miller's of the world is so damn baffling. You have to try and be this inept as an administration to allow this once proud basketball program to have fallen as far as it has. 

Edited by IndyResident16
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

I'll never lower my expectations as an IU fan. The right coach would have IU playing highly competitive basketball in year 1 and would be looking to do serious damage by year 3.....yes I'm looking at Chris Beard.

Winners win. There's no secret formula or some time frame for born winners to succeed. Knight didn't need a decade and Pearl through multiple stops has shown the same ability to win and win now. Stop hiring unqualified candidates to begin with and giving them 4,5,6+ years.

Yes Beard would win immediately. Even prior to the portal, he made TX Tech a contender quickly with jucos and transfers. He has the formula for early success. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

Unless you can guarantee a high caliber coach is ready to sign, I'd give CMW one more chance to show he can construct a team. Add Queen, a PG that can control the game, and another shooter to go with McNeeley and they are back in the hunt. 

Hot take, but I dont' want Queen unless Reneau and Ware are both gone. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

Unless you can guarantee a high caliber coach is ready to sign, I'd give CMW one more chance to show he can construct a team. Add Queen, a PG that can control the game, and another shooter to go with McNeeley and they are back in the hunt. 

We also have Jakai Newton that everyone seems to have forgot about. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

For any coach?  I just don't think it's realistic anymore for a new coach at a program that hasn't had a consistent winning culture for 25 years. 

I want those results of course. 

I mean, we hit and missed in the portal.  With Knetch or another guard or 2 this is a top 25 team.  It better be fixed next year too.  Yes.  Those are the expectations. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

With the rings, the moxie, and a proven system.  Every single day until his maybe 68th birthday.  

Look how long it took Wright to get Villanova to be a top tier program. Around year 7 or 8 his seat was hot in Villinova 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

He had his reasons.  I'm not sold that his ego couldn't be stoked into flame again.  Nothing he has said or done has been that damning of the college game like 2 or 3 have claimed.  Posted a bunch of quotes and a lengthy article as much yesterday.  

The reasons is what college basketball has become. Why would someone like him even want to get back to coaching college basketball. He sounds like a big pain in the ass to me

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Look how long it took Wright to get Villanova to be a top tier program. Around year 7 or 8 his seat was hot in Villinova 

So now you are telling me we don't want Jay Wright.  I literally just scratched my head.  Maybe Coach K would come out of retirement.  Is he good enough?  Could he please the faithful?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Given the severity of his injury, he may never play. Or if he does, may be severely limited. He also was recruited as a defender and driver. He's not a shooter. 

well... defending and being able to create off the dribble would put him ahead of 85% of our roster.... so sign him up. 

• Like 5