Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

So now you are telling me we don't want Jay Wright.  I literally just scratched my head.  Maybe Coach K would come out of retirement.  Is he good enough?  Could he please the faithful?

Never said I wouldn't want him but I know we won't have to worry about that. Instead of articles I actually listened him talk on TV and he isn't coming back to coaching. I just pointed out that it even took him a long time to get to where they were legit contenders every year.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

How is that asking to much

You bring up coach K first 4 years all the time. Name a coach you would want that could win right away. Other than 

Beard

Pearl

Pitino

Who could step in and win on day one that you'd be happy with that would meet expectations?

25 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

For any coach?  I just don't think it's realistic anymore for a new coach at a program that hasn't had a consistent winning culture for 25 years. 

I want those results of course. 

Last year KSU went to the elite 8 with a new coach and had 1 player on their roster in May. KSU has little history and a new coach turned it around in 1 year. We need to start holding this program more accountable and stop being happy with mediocrity

I know us old fans are the problem living in the past but we saw IU at an elite level and there shouldn't be any reason we can't get back there. I am willing to look at any coaches except for Beard or any other coach with similar problems

There are enough good coaches out there without having to lower your moral cumpus.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

You bring up coach K first 4 years all the time. Name a coach you would want that could win right away. Other than 

Beard

Pearl

Pitino

Who could step in and win on day one that you'd be happy with that would meet expectations?

Well college basketball was a lot different back then but now with the portal and NIL it shouldn't take 4 years. Also nobody is expecting a final 4 in year 1 or 2 but at least make the tournament in year 1 isn't asking to much. I just want a coach whose teams plays consistently through the year and not have to have a big winning streak in Feb. to make the tournament 

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, IndyResident16 said:

Chris Beard is the perfect candidate job if IU is ever serious about winning again. I'm not going to hold me breath though.

He's not a perfect candidate. A perfect candidate isn't one who was fired by his alma mater for some pretty disturbing domestic violence allegations. Even if you don't believe those allegations are disqualifying, they at a minimum render the "perfect" adjective misplaced.

Now, if you'd said he was a perfect candidate if IU is serious about winning at all costs, then your point would be stronger. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I agree but you just contradicted yourself on Jay Wright.  And e would easily be able to reload here.  Easier than at Nova.

I didn't say it would take him that long at IU but at his age will he be here long enough to get us there. Again to me it is a moot point because I don't see him coaching college again, maybe the NBA 

1 minute ago, IUProfessor said:

He's not a perfect candidate. A perfect candidate isn't one who was fired by his alma mater for some pretty disturbing domestic violence allegations. Even if you don't believe those allegations are disqualifying, they at a minimum render the "perfect" adjective misplaced.

Now, if you'd said he was a perfect candidate if IU is serious about winning at all costs, then your point would be stronger. 

Agree. He isn't perfect, which is why he may be available. Absent the disturbing, but recanted allegations, he would have probably been at Texas for the rest of his career. 

Here's the question for all on both sides of the Chris Beard debate, how will you feel if he's the coach at Ohio State or Michigan next year?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

What's the difference? 

If IU was serious about winning again (literally what I said) Chris Beard is a no brainer. He's an actual candidate that would take this job without hesitation and the most qualified. Donovan, Stevens, Wright, etc are all pipe dreams. 

• Like 1

Just now, 13th&Jackson said:

Agree. He isn't perfect, which is why he may be available. Absent the disturbing, but recanted allegations, he would have probably been at Texas for the rest of his career. 

Here's the question for all on both sides of the Chris Beard debate, how will you feel if he's the coach at Ohio State or Michigan next year?

Then go kick his sorry a$$

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

stupid to include Year 3 in any complaint, but I'll entertain you....

In 6 years (not including the first two)... we were 150-89- 62% winning percentage 2 conference titles, 3 sweet 16s. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Take our Year 3--- which record-wise it's a CLEAR anomaly in this data..

Record in 5 years (with 2 conference titles and 3 SS) is 138-69 (67%).... how anyone could look at that stretch and be upset with it? I have no clue. 

Looking at Year 3 roster--- Creek goes down again, Watford misses 4 games in the B1G, Verdell misses time with an injury---- VO was a FR, Sheehey a FR, Yogi+Zeller weren't on campus yet. Jeremiah Rivers was starting... and Crean needs to catch flak for that 10 years later? Give me a break, pretty clearly Crean fixed that issue in a big way. 

Hard to think about we are 2 coaches removed from Crean and we are worse today than we were with him. SAD.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Well I'd crap my pants.  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

What's the difference? 

If IU was serious about winning again (literally what I said) Chris Beard is a no brainer. He's an actual candidate that would take this job without hesitation and the most qualified. Donovan, Stevens, Wright, etc are all pipe dreams. 

But, but, but IU is perfect and better than every place on earth, the heaven of basketball, we can't have a coach like Beard.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IndyResident16 said:

What's the difference? 

I can't believe this is a legit question. But considering that IU is first and foremost an institution of higher education, and the state flagship at that, I don't think it's unreasonable for one to believe that an individual who was so recently charged with such a serious crime shouldn't be leading the most University's most visible public-facing unit.

Saying that Beard shouldn't be considered doesn't mean one isn't serious about winning. Especially considering there are a variety of other strong potential candidates out there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, IUProfessor said:

I can't believe this is a legit question. But considering that IU is first and foremost an institution of higher education, and the state flagship at that, I don't think it's unreasonable for one to believe that an individual who was so recently charged with such a serious crime shouldn't be leading the most University's most visible public-facing unit.

Saying that Beard shouldn't be considered doesn't mean one isn't serious about winning. Especially considering there are a variety of other strong potential candidates out there.

Amen, it is disgraceful to see people who call themselves IU fans would want Beard as the coach

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, IUProfessor said:

His charges were dropped and there is no longer a case being pursued against him.

This same state and flagship university employed a man who was convicted of assault on a law enforcement officer for nearly 20 years after the fact. Coach Knight faced extradition to Puerto Rico to serve a 6 month jail sentence until the governor of PR ran out of resources. 

Spare me with your holier than thou attitude. Chris Beard is paid to win basketball games. He's a basketball coach for crying out loud, not the face of moral compass.

• Like 5

Just now, IndyResident16 said:

His charges were dropped and there is no longer a case being pursued against him.

This same state and flagship university employed a man who was convicted of assault on a law enforcement officer for nearly 20 years after the fact. Coach Knight faced extradition to Puerto Rico to serve a 6 month jail sentence until the governor of PR ran out of resources. 

Spare me with your holier than thou attitude. Chris Beard is paid to win basketball games. He's a basketball coach for crying out loud, not the face of moral compass.

I'm not necessarily saying I would oppose the hire myself. I'm just pointing out the fact that Beard isn't a the no-brainer choice you are suggesting.

Personally, I'd think there's a pretty good case that either TJ Otzelberger or Shewberry would be a better choice for this position than Beard, even setting aside the DV issue.

I think the reason for all the impatience and IU fans being ready to drop a coach after a bad year, at least after the last 3 coaches

Crean- we look back fondly on him now and rightfully so- high character guy that got a lot accomplished for the program. Not to revisit so many things, but when they were winning, all of his quirks were amusing. They lost and the quirks became more than annoying. We as a fan base do have high expectations and we could not see Crean getting “over the hump” so to speak. The next season was trending badly and word was that he lost the in state coaches for recruiting.

Archie- Seemed to be in over his head, with the exception of being a decent recruiter, at least in- state, which is what we all wanted.Lost many fans’ support after a lackluster home game when RBK came back for the Purdue game. But again, there was nothing trending in a way that appeared that there was going to be any improvement the next season.

Coach Woodson- seems to lack fire during games, looks apathetic during blow outs. Gets early leads and subs in a lot of bench players. Loses lead. Poor FT shooting is something that may be able to be fixed, at least improved on. Makes the team appear undisciplined- as well as several of the off court issues. For me, again, it is more about where we are trending, with 1 recruit and heading to Rupp next year after a decade+ of the Watshot reruns and the embarrassing re creation, this appears on the surface to be more than just a down year. At the moment, next season appears a little bleak on the surface. 

Edited by Rev_AK
  • Like 2

Just now, IUProfessor said:

I'm not necessarily saying I would oppose the hire myself. I'm just pointing out the fact that Beard isn't a the no-brainer choice you are suggesting.

Personally, I'd think there's a pretty good case that either TJ Otzelberger or Shewberry would be a better choice for this position than Beard, even setting aside the DV issue.

It's a no-brainer hire if the sole purpose of the hire is to find the best candidate that puts your program in the best position to win and win big. That should be the one and only goal when hiring a coach to a position of this magnitude. College athletics is a results driven industry. Period. There are no trophies or banners awarded for being a nice guy. 

But just like the last 5 or 6 basketball hires, there's been some of element of PC or image tied with the position. There surely will be the next time the job is open. Take the handcuffs off and act serious for once. That's all I'm asking. 

• Like 1