Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

3 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Needing to come up with $20 million just to fire a coach who won 3 conference games in 3 years just further reinforces the ineptness in the athletics department. Why on Earth did Tom Allen have a $31 million fully guaranteed buyout to begin with and why was is still $20 million after winning 3 conference games in 3 years? 

All because of a 6-2 record in a pandemic shortened season played in front of zero fans? 

He got the extension after the 2020 season....not after the 2022 season. And I'll stand by my words: I don't believe you are finding another AD in the country who's not giving him that extension. But again, Dolson got the money. He's not here any more. We are in the Cig era. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Fkfootball said:

Indiana needs to stop giving extensions to people who haven't won anything meaningful. Allen got one without a Bowl win. Woodson got one with "1" NCAA Tournament win.

wait? ... we care about bowl games now? lol 

Woodson has 2, technically. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

He got the extension after the 2020 season....not after the 2022 season. And I'll stand by my words: I don't believe you are finding another AD in the country who's not giving him that extension. But again, Dolson got the money. He's not here any more. We are in the Cig era. 

Of course he didn't get the extension after the 2022 season he went 4-8. He DID however receive his extension after the 2020 season, the one shortened due to COVID (what I literally said), and received an astronomically large and unnecessary buyout despite not being a flight risk whatsoever. It was fine to reward him after going 6-2, it was irresponsible to essentially make him a lifer. 

2 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Of course he didn't get the extension after the 2022 season he went 4-8. He DID however receive his extension after the 2020 season, the one shortened due to COVID (what I literally said), and received an astronomically large and unnecessary buyout despite not being a flight risk whatsoever. It was fine to reward him after going 6-2, it was irresponsible to essentially make him a lifer. 

Sorry, I must've been confused by what you wrote....

16 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Needing to come up with $20 million just to fire a coach who won 3 conference games in 3 years just further reinforces the ineptness in the athletics department. Why on Earth did Tom Allen have a $31 million fully guaranteed buyout to begin with and why was is still $20 million after winning 3 conference games in 3 years

At the time, I honestly don't remember anybody complaining about the extension. But hindsight is 20/20. 

Whatever though. We can just agree to disagree. ✌️

• Like 2

Three things I will note:

1. I was lucky enough to see the score for the PSU game by accident and then opted not to subject myself to watching the game.

2. The women's team is infinitely more enjoyable to watch at this point.

3. I wish our men could shoot the 3 like the women do.

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

How about Thad Matta

He was on local radio yesterday and he said his year at IU was one of his most enjoyable year he has had. I would love to see him come back to be the HC. The only problem is his health

I'd take Shrewsberry over Matta. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

How about Thad Matta

He was on local radio yesterday and he said his year at IU was one of his most enjoyable year he has had. I would love to see him come back to be the HC. The only problem is his health

I wouldn't mind kicking the tires here. I'm impressed with what he's done at Butler this year. 

• Like 1

A suggestion to whoever is the Men's basketball coach at IU. Make yourself available for interviews on the Indy radio stations. In the last few weeks I have heard Matta, Painter, May, Schertz?, Lewis but no Woodson. Even our football coach last year was on a show once a week.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

A suggestion to whoever is the Men's basketball coach at IU. Make yourself available for interviews on the Indy radio stations. In the last few weeks I have heard Matta, Painter, May, Schertz?, Lewis but no Woodson. Even our football coach last year was on a show once a week.

200.webp

-Mike Woodson (probably)

• Haha 6

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

He has a radio show Inside Indiana Basketball with Mike Woodson every Monday... Traveling yesterday so no show...

Surprised people aren't bitching that Woody does a radio show when he should be game planning/recruiting/practicing or whatever... 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

How about Thad Matta

He was 14-18 last year. 

• Like 1

We wanted someone to follow in Knights footsteps…unfortunately we hired someone that is following the mid 90s Knight who preferred to spend his time hunting, fishing, golfing…someone that no longer ate, sleep, and breathe basketball. I don’t think all 60 year olds are the same…but my perspective of Mike Woodson is someone that thinks showing up is half the battle…yeah that just ain’t going to cut it in this age of competitive college basketball. I just don’t see the drive and passion from him. He has his legacy and imo looks at this gig as bucket list sort of thing…something to check off before retiring. 

Granted I’m no where around the program so take that worth a grain of salt.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

He has a radio show Inside Indiana Basketball with Mike Woodson every Monday... Traveling yesterday so no show...

Surprised people aren't bitching that Woody does a radio show when he should be game planning/recruiting/practicing or whatever... 

That is his coaches show which every coach has.  I think it would be in the best interest to promote your team. It isn't just Woodson but all if the past IU coaches.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

He does. Just pointing it out because if the expectations are immediate results I doubt he would produce those expectations right away. 

I think expectations are relative to the situation a coach walks into. We've pretty well proven as a fanbase in the past 15 years that we can understand the nuance of each situation. 

29 minutes ago, IndySportsPartizan said:

Matta has done a fantastic job at Butler in his 2 recent seasons. However, he is not the guy for IU. 

Give me Beard, Drew, May, or Schertz - hell I'd even take Pearl. 

All of these are an upgrade over Woody. So many red flags. 

Drew or Pearl should be the hire.  Beard would kill it here but Dolson is too clueless for that.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Kodos said:

Three things I will note:

1. I was lucky enough to see the score for the PSU game by accident and then opted not to subject myself to watching the game.

2. The women's team is infinitely more enjoyable to watch at this point.

3. I wish our men could shoot the 3 like the women do.

This! ^^^^