Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

48 minutes ago, IndySportsPartizan said:

Matta has done a fantastic job at Butler in his 2 recent seasons. However, he is not the guy for IU. 

Give me Beard, Drew, May, or Schertz - hell I'd even take Pearl. 

All of these are an upgrade over Woody. So many red flags. 

Pearl is a great coach, but he’s turning 64 in a month. I’d rather not hire someone that would put us in a position to have to find another coach in 10 years or less even if things go well. I don’t think he’d leave Auburn at his age anyway.

I’d also be shocked if Drew was willing to leave what he has going at Baylor, but it can’t hurt to ask and he’d be fantastic.

I know Archie has scarred some peoples perception of hiring an up and coming mid major coach, but what Schertz is doing at ISU is impressive. If we got him we’d definitely have a modern offense which would be refreshing. Not sure what his defensive scheme is, but the hope is the defensive metrics - which are still slightly better than IU’s this year - would improve with higher level recruits. That’s really the big concern with him. But at minimum it’d be a fun brand of basketball to watch.

• Like 3

image.jpeg.b486bf3748296c4d00f3982930c6fa3e.jpeg

Give this guy a look! We would be stupid not to! This guy is a ball coach! 

He’s won everywhere he’s gone.  
Has almost an 80% winning percentage for his career. 

Took over Indiana state. He’s in year 3. 

Year 1: 11-20 
Year 2: 23-13 
Year 3: 20-3 currently (#1 in conference) 

Indiana State: 662 attempts from 3 on the year. 

#5 in the country on percentage. 

They have more 3 point attempts than any team in the top 50. 

They have twice the amount of 3 point attempts than we do, this is exactly what the our fans want/miss! 

Watched his team play a couple times on TV, they have an identity on both ends of the court, they’re fun to watch and play style is exactly what we need. Big X’s and O’s guy right here! 

Sat next to him on a plane about a year ago flying down to Dallas for work, listened to the guy talk to another Indiana State track/field mom who introduced herself to him knowing he was the head basketball coach.. very very nice guy! 

Read the bottom of the page in this link. A lot of high praises from some prominent names in college hoops. 

https://gosycamores.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/coaches/josh-schertz/875

Edited by Jackson Kellogs
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

People bringing up red flags….is there such a thing anymore?  It’s kind of a tired and used up term.  Coaches can more or less pay players and make all the phone calls they want anymore.  Just bring someone in who can win consistently and win big.  The only difficult part is finding the person who can do that and do that at Indiana.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

He was 14-18 last year. 

He inherited a broken roster from Lavall Jordan that couldn't shoot.  He brought in seven transfers and three freshmen. Only three holdovers from last season. They played at a very slow pace last year due to personnel. Now they play at a much faster pace and share the ball. 

Edited by 13th&Jackson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

You deflected from the question.

I don’t care about what your opinion is.

What makes you the expert to judge professional people on their decisions?

One doesn’t need to have the same education or expertise on a subject to have an informed opinion on a matter based on reason.

To say otherwise is the “Argument from Authority Fallacy.”

I don’t need a degree in theology nor be a pastor to know a scam artist at a pulpit. I can use my head and be right. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

He inherited a broken roster from Lavall Jordan that couldn't shoot.  He brought in seven transfers and three freshmen. Only three holdovers. They played at a very slow pace last year due to personnel. Now they play at a much faster pace and share the ball. 

I would imagine the same would happen here if Woodson were fired and someone else brought in. 

8 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I would imagine the same would happen here if Woodson were fired and someone else brought in. 

Is my takeaway here that you think Woodson has broken things as badly as Jordan has? Or that you think another coach could come in and make major improvement in 2 years from what we currently have?

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Is my takeaway here that you think Woodson has broken things as badly as Jordan has? Or that you think another coach could come in and make major improvement in 2 years from what we currently have?

That would depend on the hire. Since IUs and some people's moral superiority won't allow for a coach like Beard, I'm saying I wouldn't expect results much better than we are getting now. The coaches that could win right away either wouldn't be acceptable for some or aren't coming here. 

The problem Woodson has is that this team is terribly inconsistent! Last night Galloway scored 25 Sat. You watch he will score 5. Reneau is our only consistent player ! 
Can  a coach teach a player to be more consistent! I don’t think so that has to come with the work the player himself puts in, the coach can give him knowledge of what the next team will throw at him and how he can play against it. The player has to get ready and execute the plan. 

17 hours ago, Jackson Kellogs said:

They have twice the amount of 3 point attempts than we do, this is exactly what the our fans want/miss! 

Watched his team play a couple times on TV, they have an identity on both ends of the court, they’re fun to watch and play style is exactly what we need. Big X’s and O’s guy right here! 

Sat next to him on a plane about a year ago flying down to Dallas for work, listened to the guy talk to another Indiana State track/field mom who introduced herself to him knowing he was the head basketball coach.. very very nice guy! 

Read the bottom of the page in this link. A lot of high praises from some prominent names in college hoops. 

looks like someone we definitely should look at, if and when.

But I have to laugh a bit. Not sure when how many 3pters his team shoots became a qualification.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fkfootball said:

Woodson is gonna buy himself another season with some late season magic. For better or worse.

i mean i'd love to be wrong and have Woodson be the guy who leads us back to glory, but it is gonna suck if he does just well enough to keep us about where we are but not bad enough to make him want to retire.  

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Jackson Kellogs said:

He should get a look but I still believe the top 2 candidates should be May and Shrewsberry in whatever order you want to put them in. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mrflynn03 said:

Why Shrewsberry?  What has done outside of one decent season at PSU?

Well... he spent 10 seasons as a Brad Stevens asst, two seasons as a Matt Painter asst, he's from Indiana, he played college ball at Hanover... 

I would consider his season quite a bit better than decent at PSU, truthfully.... 

He's 47 

His style of play is stupid fun, and I think he has a personality that would connect with kids. 

I would have him over Dusty May, truthfully. TBF-- I do know more about Shrews than May, so that might be a big part of that opinion. 

• Like 4

Is there any May smoke if they lose to Memphis last season? The only connection is he’s an IU guy. We’ve done that. I’m hoping this season works out obviously…

Beard- he wins. That cures a lot…

Pearl- probably too old…

shrews- I like it, the more I think…

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Well... he spent 10 seasons as a Brad Stevens asst, two seasons as a Matt Painter asst, he's from Indiana, he played college ball at Hanover... 

I would consider his season quite a bit better than decent at PSU, truthfully.... 

He's 47 

His style of play is stupid fun, and I think he has a personality that would connect with kids. 

I would have him over Dusty May, truthfully. TBF-- I do know more about Shrews than May, so that might be a big part of that opinion. 

I honestly didn't know so was asking. 

Schertz has an AHC who was an assistant at Butler starting with Matta and spent 3 years as AHC under Stevens.  If they come as a package that's a pretty good deal. He's from Switz City Indiana. 

Shertz also crushed it at D2 Lincoln Memorial.  

So it seems there could be several good younger options when it's time to move on. 

Shrews went 23-14 that season at PSU. Woodson 23-12. So was our season quite a bit better than decent?

Edited by mrflynn03

20 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I honestly didn't know so was asking. 

Schertz has an AHC who was an assistant at Butler starting with Matta and spent 3 years as AHC under Stevens.  If they come as a package that's a pretty good deal. He's from Switz City Indiana. 

Shertz also crushed it at D2 Lincoln Memorial.  

So it seems there could be several good younger options when it's time to move on. 

Shrews went 23-14 that season at PSU. Woodson 23-12. So was our season quite a bit better than decent?

Of course it was, we were a 4 seed in the tourney. 

But expectations should play a huge role in the determination of how a season went... PSU made the finals of the BTT, gave PU a 2pt game in the finals and swept a 4 seed IU last season and wasn't Pickett a 1st team AA? 

Plus he won a NCAAT game and they were very much in the game against 6 seed Texas. 

Ultimately, I don't care about the resume as much as some, as least the W/Ls.... Shrewsberry's team last year was nasty, he just lacked a tick of talent/height in areas that I think he could find at Indiana. I want that at Indiana. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 4

Here are some thoughts/questions. Feel free to discuss (or not)

If Woodson is replaced (fired or retires) then the program (once again) goes into "reset mode".

• hire Pearl/Wright - this feels like a short-term plan to me given their age and we go into reset mode again 5 years from now? Maybe with the program in a better place?
  • hire May/Shaka Smart - these feels like Miller and Crean again. Maybe one has better sustained success? Will the fans/BOT be patient enough?
  • hire Beard - right now he feels very polarizing like Sampson (yes, for very different reasons)

What if, Woodson got someone like Shertz to be his vice-HC (can't think of a better title)?

• There are plenty of examples of more experience coaches working under younger head coaches as advisors, but does anyone recall an addition like this or a younger coach in this role that wasn't just an assistant that rose through the ranks or a former player or both (like Scheyer and Hubert Davis)? A guy outside the system, brought in to be "the next guy"
  • would bring deep understanding of the college game but can have time to learn/absorb the fishbowl/microscope environment of a major program
  • takes over and we avoid the "reset" when Woodson steps down
  • Is something like this as much of a pipe-dream as landing the "big fish"?
Edited by HoosierDPU95

1 minute ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

Hear are some thoughts/questions. Feel free to discuss (or not)

If Woodson is replaced (fired or retires) then the program (once again) goes into "reset mode".

• hire Pearl/Wright - this feels like a short-term plan to me given their age and we go into reset mode again 5 years from now? Maybe with the program in a better place?
  • hire May/Shaka Smart - these feels like Miller and Crean again. Maybe one has better sustained success? Will the fans/BOT be patient enough?
  • hire Beard - right now he feels very polarizing like Sampson (yes, for very different reasons)

What if, Woodson got someone like Shertz to be his vice-HC (can't think of a better title)?

• There are plenty of examples of more experience coaches working under younger head coaches as advisors, but does anyone recall an addition like this or a younger coach in this role that wasn't just an assistant that rose through the ranks or a former player or both (like Scheyer and Hubert Davis)? A guy outside the system, brought in to be "the next guy"
  • would brings deep understanding of the college game but can have time to learn/absorb the fishbowl/microscope environment of a major program
  • takes over and we avoid the "reset" when Woodson steps down
  • Is something like this as much of a pipe-dream as landing the "big fish"?

Purdue did that with Painter during Keady's last season. Painter finished his first year at S. Illinois and then went to Purdue as the coach in waiting