Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

I keep coming back to this. Many people think we need or are going to get a roster overhaul this offseason. 

Others also think we need a system overhaul. 

With those two things in mind, whether he deserves another year or not, do you trust Woodson and his staff to oversee those overhauls?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I keep coming back to this. Many people think we need or are going to get a roster overhaul this offseason. 

With those two things in mind, whether he deserves another year or not, do you trust Woodson and his staff to oversee those overhauls?

Nope, Woody is to stubborn to change. Also what quality guards would want to play in this system 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, BGleas said:

No. But the big issue, IMO, is how is he selling a roster overhaul when the players have three years of this crap system on tape? Who is going to believe we will play different next year?

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

No. But the big issue, IMO, is how is he selling a roster overhaul when the players have three years of this crap system on tape? Who is going to believe we will play different next year?

Couldn't agree more. Woodson doesn't have a clue as to how to coach. It's evident in every aspect of the game; all of the fundamentals are absent - we don't box out, we don't crash boards for offensive rebounds; no motion offense and no offensive scheme or philosophy; just a bunch of random plays, we look like the equivalent of a badly OC'd football team, just making %$&t up as we go. That's what we look; an ad-libbing, undisciplined team all around. 
What I wonder is, why have we have what 5+ coaches now since Knight? Are we a bad program to work for? We're a blue blood, top tier basketball school. Not sure why we can't get a good coach, who knows basketball?! Anyone, anyone? Bueller?

- Consistently having a successful strategy/approach to the game, fundamentals, execution, and talent to be nationally competitive. 

- Being consistently ranked in the top 20 to top 10 in the nation.

- Finishing in the top 2 or 3 in the Big Ten.

- Winning at least two to three games in the NCAA tournament, annually.

Those used to be the minimally acceptable requirements for Indiana basketball.

Used to be.

Edited by BankShot
  • Like 1

Again I continue to see “we aren’t the IU of old” and then lower the expectations to not just below that, but below teams like even Wisconsin.

because we aren’t the IU of old and don’t have RMK we have to accept that we have to be a below average program now?

some of us are suffering from an either/or fallacy. Either we are a top five program year in and year out OR we have to be able to accept being below average.

The fans who want better simply aren’t ok with what we’ve got. The fanbase is actually VERY reasonable. If Crean could have more success than this then a good solid coach can do better than Crean.

Stop over lowering the bar to make excuses. Cripes 

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

the title of this topic says it all.  just gotta be serious in the next hire.  he'll get one more year.  it will be painful.  then we gotta hire a college coach who knows how to win.  

Theres been some talk about what next year could look like, in a good way, if everything breaks our way perfectly in the offseason.

Theres been very little talk about what next year might look like if Ware and Mgabko are gone, Liam maybe decides he doesn’t want to be a part of this, and then we strike out on meaningful guard help in the portal. It could be awful next year just as easily as it could be a big rebound.

I am so dreading next year as a fan right now. Painful was a good word choice. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Theres been some talk about what next year could look like, in a good way, if everything breaks our way perfectly in the offseason.

Theres been very little talk about what next year might look like if Ware and Mgabko are gone, Liam maybe decides he doesn’t want to be a part of this, and then we strike out on meaningful guard help in the portal. It could be awful next year just as easily as it could be a big rebound.

Our best players don't have state of Indiana ties and they all have a license to bail for better waters whenever they want.  We have 1 guy committed at the moment.  Even our best case scenario is a total roster overhaul.  And then you know what happens, "Well, we have so many new faces and it is going to take awhile to get them all on the same page.  Woody's defense is really hard to learn."  I guarantee you will be seeing that kind of stuff after the first bad loss in November or December.

• Like 4

On 2/9/2024 at 2:04 PM, IUFLA said:

"Best team money can buy" right?

Use the NIL money to get a grad transfer like Lance (#300 rated) who would jump at the chance to play for a Blue Blood Big Ten Team 

Promising MM a starting spot as a 3 along side other front court players who don’t defend or rebound particularly well has to affect team chemistry 

you can’t honestly say these guys are playing for INDIANA so it must be the money or the stepping stone to the NBA

At this point I just want him to take some accountability. Every game we hear the same old responses “gotta get them over the hump” or “got some good looks tonight but we just gotta hit some shots”. It’s the same thing every time. For once I’d like to hear some originality.

His responses give me no confidence that anything will change next season. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

You’re right…the scary thing is it could go either way.

2 minutes ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

You’re right…the scary thing is it could go either way.

i know i generally take the pessimistic stance, but being realistic, it seems a foregone conclusion that Ware will be gone.  again, this part is just my opinion, but i have this feeling that if Mtaco can't justify going into the draft that he will decide it was the fault of the coaching/system he was in and transfer.  i hope not, but for some reason it just seems likely that he is gone.  so we start with Reneau, Galloway (maybe) and McNeeley (assuming this trainwreck doesn't scare him off).  we'd need two stud transfer portal guards and would still have the problem of not having a 4.  so two stud guards and a solid 4 in the portal?  and we'd have to get them to mesh quickly.  i'm just not liking the odds.  i mean if Mtaco stays and agrees to play the 4 with Reneau at the 5 and Liam at the 3?  okay, i like that.  we'd still need at minimum a stud PG transfer and then for them to mesh quickly.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

Here is a scenario, and it's passed through my mind more than once, where we miss the tournament next season. No, I'm not talking about the NCAA tournament, I'm referring to the fact that only 15 of the 18 teams in the conference will make the Big Ten Tournament.

Do I think that will happen?  No.  I actually think Mgbako stays and improves.  I think Reneau stays and improves even more.  Galloway comes back on a mission.  I think McNeeley honors his scholarship, and I think we get enough in the portal to be improved next year.  That said, missing the BTT is entirely within the range of possibilities.  And, if that happens, Lord help us.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Here is a scenario, and it's passed through my mind more than once, where we miss the tournament next season. No, I'm not talking about the NCAA tournament, I'm referring to the fact that only 15 of the 18 teams in the conference will make the Big Ten Tournament.

Do I think that will happen?  No.  I actually think Mgbako stays and improves.  I think Reneau stays and improves even more.  Galloway comes back on a mission.  I think McNeeley honors his scholarship, and I think we get enough in the portal to be improved next year.  That said, missing the BTT is entirely within the range of possibilities.  And, if that happens, Lord help us.

Yeah - the range looking 13 months out is a big range. It likely doesn’t hit either extreme, but the fact that we are even talking about that in the lower end is hard to fathom.