Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

3 hours ago, ephul said:

Yeah, I know. Which is why Dusty May would be the most realistic coach. But if enough donors are tired of losing, Pearl and Beard are my first calls.

It doesn’t matter about the donors. It’s not happening. Pearl isn’t leaving and Beard wouldn’t be approved by the University.

53 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Man, I’m just not sold entirely on May yet. IF we are looking for a coach this spring, I think we have to have a bigger name than him. Beard, Drew, Oates, Pearl all come to mind, and I’m starting to like the idea of Shrews too. 

The only realistic options are May and Shrews out of that list.

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

Who is Trilly?  Genuine question because I've never heard of this person until recently.  

Trilly Donovan. He’s got a Twitter account, website, and discord. The account I believe is controlled by multiple people with phenomenal inside sources to all of college basketball. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ephul said:

Pearl would leave.

Auburn coach Bruce Pearl has an enormous amount of respect for the "blueblood Indiana basketball program,'' and he would have loved to coach there. “Indiana was my dream job, it really was. I love everything about Indiana basketball. The timing was never right, I suppose. Nothing ever really aligned, but it would have been a dream come true to coach Indiana. That's how much I love and respect that program.''

• Like 6

2 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

forgot about Shrews.  would also take him over Woodson... Beard...Oates...Pearl...Shrews...May

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

The only realistic options are May and Shrews out of that list.

If that’s the case, give me Shrews. I’m starting to think he would do really well here!

9 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Auburn coach Bruce Pearl has an enormous amount of respect for the "blueblood Indiana basketball program,'' and he would have loved to coach there. “Indiana was my dream job, it really was. I love everything about Indiana basketball. The timing was never right, I suppose. Nothing ever really aligned, but it would have been a dream come true to coach Indiana. That's how much I love and respect that program.''

I’m not saying I’m a hire HIM automatically but that sounds like fine for the chance even at his age he’d likely not coach just for a few years. And at his energy level if he wanted it I could see him coaching past 70 and having the energy to do so.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, DC2345 said:

For starters the situations that the two are coming from. Everyone wins at Dayton. FAU is a significantly harder situation historically. Also his X’s and O’s are much better than Archie’s. May has also been mentioned by some as the next possible face of college coaches. Archie was never mentioned at that level by anyone. 

I don't mean this snarkily, so this is an honest question: who outside the IU ecosystem is saying May is the new face of college coaching? 

He may well turn out to be a great coach, but the analytics don't really support that lofty of a billing.

Personally, I still think TJ Otzelberger is pretty clearly the best candidate. 

11 minutes ago, Boiler Sam said:

If IU can match Auburn’s best counteroffer, I think they can get him. That would be fun. 

We have one more awful season to look forward too and then rebuild again.So a couple more years of mediocre basketball.

2 hours ago, IUProfessor said:

I don't mean this snarkily, so this is an honest question: who outside the IU ecosystem is saying May is the new face of college coaching? 

He may well turn out to be a great coach, but the analytics don't really support that lofty of a billing.

Personally, I still think TJ Otzelberger is pretty clearly the best candidate. 

Jay Billas among others have said he could potentially end up as that level of coach once he makes a move to a bigger school. What he's doing at FAU is almost as impressive as Stevens at Butler. 

Edited by DC2345
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Jay Billas among others have said he could potentially end up as that level of coach once he makes a move to a bigger school. What he's doing at FAU is almost as impressive as Stevens at Butler. 

Butler had a really solid foundation.  So May building that thing on his own, if he can sustain is really impressive.   

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Butler had a really solid foundation.  So May building that thing on his own, if he can sustain is really impressive.   

Correct. Not to mention that's why there isn't any footing for an Archie comp because Dayton has had a successful foundation for years. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

image.thumb.png.db842893a39cd12ecd976d40f2d60409.png

I'm not trying to prop up or tear down May. Just providing information and asking this question:

Would the IU fan base be OK with the next 4 years being similar to May's first 4 years at FAU?

First of all, nothing wrong with the question... discussion point. 

He is 66% winning % at FAU and has won 118 games--- the 6 years prior to him being there, FAU had a winning % of 34%... they were 63-124.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

But again, and I said this the other day.... Archie Miller couldn't have been more qualified/had won a ton of games when IU hired him. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

I think the below opinion is moot because I think CMW will be here next year, but if he's not, I'd bet on Dusty May to be the next HC.

All us fans have our rose colored glasses on and think we can get any coach we want. 3 years ago nobody thought it was going to be Woody. We threw out names like Oates, Mussleman, Stevens, Beard, etc. and none of them are here. All they were, were names on a wishlist. 

You have two obstacles:
1. The candidate must pass the IU morality test (whatever that is)
2. We need to find a coach who actually wants to come here. If the last 3 coaching hires were any indication (or a cold slap in the face), IU is not the 'destination' coaching job we all wish it was. The more we change coaches, the further it falls. 

So I conclude that....
-Pearl has built something at Auburn, gets paid a lot, and (I hate to say it) is in a superior basketball conference. Pearl stays put. 
-Even IF Beard wants to come here, I think he has too much baggage for IU's comfort level. 
-Oates? See Pearl above

So that leaves May, Schertz, Shrew, etc. May has the IU ties, is young, and has had the most success. And I'd be happy with that choice. 

IMO, that's the way the cookie crumbles. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

I'm not trying to prop up or tear down May. Just providing information and asking this question:

Would the IU fan base be OK with the next 4 years being similar to May's first 4 years at FAU?

I think you’re comparing apples to oranges.  Florida Atlantic and Indiana are not comparable in any way.  FAU was basically nothing when May took over.

6 minutes ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

You’re omitting some major details. FAU’s record the 4 years before May:

14-15: 7-20

15-16: 7-24

16-17: 10-20

17-18: 12-19

Even May’s first 4 years were some of the better FAU seasons since they’ve been a D1 team.

So no IU fans would not be happy with those first 4 year results, but the situation at IU and the situation at FAU are not remotely comparable.

2 minutes ago, Kdug said:

You’re omitting some major details. FAU’s record the 4 years before May:

14-15: 7-20

15-16: 7-24

16-17: 10-20

17-18: 12-19

Even May’s first 4 years were some of the better FAU seasons since they’ve been a D1 team.

So no IU fans would not be happy with those first 4 year results, but the situation at IU and the situation at FAU are not remotely comparable.

Add to it that May has created a name for himself and has a fun offense to play in. The transfer portal also now exists and IU has a lot of NIL opportunities. I'd like to think he could turn things around quicker at IU. 

Also, even May didn't know what he was walking into at FAU. I remember an interview when he said that he doesn't even show recruits the basketball court or locker rooms on their visits because the facilities are so bad. He just takes them to the ocean. haha. 

• Thanks 1