Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

1 minute ago, Kdug said:

I hope you’re right. As to your NBA question, Kel’el has absolutely shown he’s ready for the NBA, and I’d expect him to be a 1st rounder. He’s answered a lot of the questions around him coming into the year, and I’d be shocked if he’s in college next year.

And I do give Woodson credit for the first two years. All things considered they were solid seasons. But a GM of a pro team, and AD’s of college teams, should always be looking forward. So to me the question isn’t were his first two years good, but the question is will the next two years be good. Imo there’s a lot of negative trends that make me doubt they will be.

He's struggled against good college 5s...His worst P6 games have been against Purdue twice (Edey), Ohio State twice (Okpara), Kansas (Dickinson) and Connecticut (Clingan)...

His best? Penn State (although Wahab was pretty much having his way on the offensive end), Iowa, who had the freshman Freeman on him, or the undersized Krikke, and Nebraska with the undersized Mast...

Not to state the obvious, but I'm sure every 5 in the NBA is better than that group...

Just now, IU Scott said:

I don't think he showed he is ready for the NBA but showed he is draftable 

I disagree. He won’t go in and be an impact starter right away, but there are very few rookies who can do that (JHS and TJD both haven’t). He’s shown that he’s a good rebounder, good shot blocker, doesn’t turn it over, has 3 point range (even if IU refuses to maximize that skill), and is a good lob threat. He needs to put on muscle, but most 7’1 20 year olds do. He has a very unique skill set that is perfect for the modern NBA.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

That wasn't fair but I would hope we move in from him this off season. We need to bring in more dynamic personalities into the locker room that can relate to these players.

Hill is the Assistant AD for basketball, not an assistant coach....I thought you'd have his email ;) 

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

That wasn't fair but I would hope we move in from him this off season. We need to bring in more dynamic personalities into the locker room that can relate to these players.

All other things aside, what ever gives you any suggestion that Woodson doesn't relate to players? Good grief. If there is one thing overwhelming clear is that he relates to players and they love him.

This "more dynamic" crap drives me nuts. I don't want another RMK screaming and loosing his $&#@ on players, refs, and chairs all the time. I just don't, sorry 

Edited by HoosierDPU95
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

All other things aside, what ever gives you any suggestion that Woodson doesn't relate to players? Good grief. If there is one thing overwhelming clear is that he relates to players and they love him.

This "more dynamic" crap drives me nuts. I don't want another RMK screaming and loosing his $&#@ on players, refs, and chairs all the time. I just don't, sorry 

I've actually seen Woody chew plenty of asses coming off the floor...Mac, Kel'el, and Galloway seem to get their share :) 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

He's struggled against good college 5s...His worst P6 games have been against Purdue twice (Edey), Ohio State twice (Okpara), Kansas (Dickinson) and Connecticut (Clingan)...

His best? Penn State (although Wahab was pretty much having his way on the offensive end), Iowa, who had the freshman Freeman on him, or the undersized Krikke, and Nebraska with the undersized Mast...

Not to state the obvious, but I'm sure every 5 in the NBA is better than that group...

The NBA drafts on potential, not college production. There’s a reason Edey isn’t a projected first round pick.

Also, I thought Ware was good in both games against Purdue. Unfortunately he had 2 fouls in the first half in both games, which at IU means you have to sit the rest of the half. I don’t think he’ll be back barring injury.

• Like 2

People are disappointed this year. I think we all are...but maybe the disappointment is because of the job Coach Woodson did in his first two years? He elevated the expectations and so now the heightened expectations are being used against him?

Malik-1st year starter

Ware-1st year starter

Mack-1st year starter

TG-phenomenal 6th man/borderline starter

X-Out

When people take the angles out of their own echo chamber they might realize we have a very young team. We missed on two key recruits AND because of what Woody did last year and year before we were expecting more. Guess what? Bad year and bad mixture. Does Woodson know that? Sure. Of course he does. He loves IU and the job at hand more than anyone.

Play the season out. See what we can do and if the season comes up short we hit that portal hard and keep recruiting. This fire and hire mentality has to stop. I could cite Painter, Bennett, Wright....shoot even Coach K and plenty of others. Give the guy the chance to change.

PS....I hope this post is just a post. Not attacking anyone. Mods...feel free to delete if I crossed that 38th parallel.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

HSN Question (Sorry @IUFLA, using your post, not targeting you specifically)

Honest question for you and any others on both extreme sides.  Why do you put so much effort into these threads?  You're (collective you, not you specific) not changing anyone's opinion. 

I get what a discussion forum is for and why people come on here to ask questions and discuss IU basketball.  But honestly wading through you (again not you specifically but collectively) arguing the same points over and over in every thread has to be exhausting for you (again not you specifically but collectively) as much as it is for everyone else on this board.  The total lack of allowed differing opinions on here these days is tiring.

So i ask again, why put so much time and effort into arguing the exact same points in every thread?  Can we just not respond?  Or let a group get something off their chest?  Can't we Let the happy be happy and let the miserable wallow together in misery without having to interject our opinions as facts into every conversation that we don't agree with? I know, "Welcome to the Internet".  But this forum has been and was different at one time.

This is an honest question coming from an honest spot in my heart.  I am not singling out any specific person.  I am blasé to IU basketball at this moment so not as invested as i once was, and maybe that is why i can't understand one side or the other.

Sorry if this comes off the wrong and rubs people the wrong way.

Jason

I was going to PM you, but apparently you don't take PMs...

So, I don't really care to do it, either...But I'm also not going to sit idly by while BS becomes the "truth." 

You know, I do get it...we get pounded by our arch rival, and it's frustrating...But the tsunami of emotional tantrums is way beyond the pale...and looking for any and every little way to dig at Mike Woodson, truth be damned, gets to me...

Fairness...If you have something, back it up with facts...

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Rumor was Bakos mom or someone actually contacted Woodson.

I don’t have to disparage our coach. To me, he hasn’t proven anything. I wish he would work out. I tried really hard to be on board when I wasn’t in favor of his hiring to begin with. Matta was huge in changing my thought process as an overflow of basketball minds.

I’m on this mound and unless the team turns around quickly, which I seriously doubt, I I’m staying on it.

Field of 68 was talking about how Bako fell in Woodson’s lap. Imagine if  Filipowksi declared..Yikes, then our team would be void of any semblance of an outside shooter. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kdug said:

The NBA drafts on potential, not college production. There’s a reason Edey isn’t a projected first round pick.

Also, I thought Ware was good in both games against Purdue. Unfortunately he had 2 fouls in the first half in both games, which at IU means you have to sit the rest of the half. I don’t think he’ll be back barring injury.

Understood, but I'm just thinking he's not quite ready yet...And neither is Mac

7 minutes ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

I am talking about Hill

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Understood, but I'm just thinking he's not quite ready yet...And neither is Mac

Mac definitely isn’t ready, but Ware is. Maybe he comes back to improve his draft stock, but I’d wager he goes pro. Honestly Ware going to the NBA doesn’t concern me. Big guys aren’t our problem, it’s the guards that worry me.

• Like 2

Just now, Kdug said:

Mac definitely isn’t ready, but Ware is. Maybe he comes back to improve his draft stock, but I’d wager he goes pro. Honestly Ware going to the NBA doesn’t concern me. Big guys aren’t our problem, it’s the guards that worry me.

The guards and leadership...Yeah, I agree with that...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Yes, he brings nothing to the program. I assume if they would get rid of Woodson most of not all assistants would be gone as well.

Fair enough. Sorry for assuming you were talking about Woodson.

I don't know the responsibilities of the assistant AD but perhaps Dolson gave you the lowdown in one of your Scott to Scott emails that lead you to the conclusion that he does nothing.

• Like 3