Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Ball State, Eastern Michigan? 

He can't play in the Big East or ACC, either, cmon now. 

I'm guessing Gunn is a practice all star, especially against our defense.   Probably swishes those 19 foot jumpers all day long.  He'll go score 18 a game somewhere lower or even benefit from the Tamar Bates effect and be the 2nd best player on a real bad team, maybe DePaul.   

Banks.   Just doesn't have a comfort for the game or ball skills to play the bigger wing spot in power 6 ball.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Inequality said:

I didn’t say anything about Scheyers job at recruiting nor did I bring him into the conversation. But since he was mentioned I touched on how well he is doing at Duke for a young guy with no experience other than assistant coaching vs a senior guy that has NBA coaching experience.

Eh, I’d wait before saying Scheyer is doing a good job. They were a 5 seed last year, which is the 3rd worst seed Duke’s had in the last 25 years. It’ll be telling how they look once he gets into years 4+ and the Coach K momentum is mostly gone.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Ball State, Eastern Michigan? 

He can't play in the Big East or ACC, either, cmon now. 

Maybe somewhere like Indiana State.  They have Ryan Conwell averaging 15.9 pts and 4.9 reb. He's a soph from Indy too, He spent a year at South Florida and seems to be flourishing at ISU.  I'd like to see Gunn in a guard oriented system with good coaching and see what he can do.

15 minutes ago, Kdug said:

Eh, I’d wait before saying Scheyer is doing a good job. They were a 5 seed last year, which is the 3rd worst seed Duke’s had in the last 25 years. It’ll be telling how they look once he gets into years 4+ and the Coach K momentum is mostly gone.

Yeah, the recruiting momentum is crazy.  How did they get the number 2, 5 and 6 PF in the same  class to commit.  Obviously Mbako (#2) backed out but the other two are at Duke and averaging about 2 pts per game. I guess it shows you have to look at more than just the ranking.

40 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Maybe somewhere like Indiana State.  They have Ryan Conwell averaging 15.9 pts and 4.9 reb. He's a soph from Indy too, He spent a year at South Florida and seems to be flourishing at ISU.  I'd like to see Gunn in a guard oriented system with good coaching and see what he can do.

He'll have to learn to dribble first. 

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Who's blaming the fans, and what are they blaming them for?

The only thing I've ever said about the naysayers on here is they overreact after every loss (they did last year too) and they use any little thing, true or not (see the whole Armond Hill conversation) to buttress their point. 

The fans thing is other sites, mainly twitter, not so much here that I’ve noticed. Just a silly argument.

What are they blaming them for? Anything any everything associated with the failing program.

14 minutes ago, Inequality said:

The fans thing is other sites, mainly twitter, not so much here that I’ve noticed. Just a silly argument.

What are they blaming them for? Anything any everything associated with the failing program.

Idk where this fits--- but the only thing I would say to a fan is---- enjoy the Ws/good seasons (2012, 13, 16, last season) a little more than we seem to do. I'll be honest-- the biggest memory I have of the 2013 team is people bitching about ---- anything they could about that team. Maybe I am remembering wrong, or an exaggerated memory, I guess... but there were A LOT of people who couldn't see past their imperfections to simply just enjoy a team that spent the entire season T5. 

Sorry-- but I saw no reason the "story" of that season needed to be the Syracuse loss. Idk. Winning is hard. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Idk where this fits--- but the only thing I would say to a fan is---- enjoy the Ws/good seasons (2012, 13, 16, last season) a little more than we seem to do. I'll be honest-- the biggest memory I have of the 2013 team is people bitching about ---- anything they could about that team. Maybe I am remembering wrong, or an exaggerated memory, I guess... but there were A LOT of people who couldn't see past their imperfections to simply just enjoy a team that spent the entire season T5. 

Sorry-- but I saw no reason the "story" of that season needed to be the Syracuse loss. Idk. Winning is hard. 

My biggest/best memory from that season was the final seconds of the Michigan game (especially the replay of the ball with the Michigan logo slowly falling off the rim).

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

My biggest/best memory from that season was the final seconds of the Michigan game (especially the replay of the ball with the Michigan logo slowly falling off the rim).

I cried after that. Not gunna lie. 

Going to Sparty and smacking them was one of my favorites. 

IU, UM, and MSU all Top 8 teams that year 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 3

For the most part I think angry, frustrated, fed up fans care deeply about the program. Some people who care deeply don't have the same type of emotional reaction. We all own what we say, but I don't think level of fandom necessarily correlates to level of emotional outrage. Nobody here knows if CMW can or can't turn this program around. If I was a betting man, I would say he can't. BTW, I would also bet that Pearl, Oates, May, Beard, etc. couldn't either.  Not saying none of the could, just that the smart bet is they wouldn't. 

I personally don't like the title of this thread, I think it is reactive and overly emotional, But that is my opinion and I have no issue with all you "cry-babies" (this is a friendly poke) blowing off steam here instead of being a-holes to the people in your life.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, IUDan93 said:

For the most part I think angry, frustrated, fed up fans care deeply about the program. Some people who care deeply don't have the same type of emotional reaction. We all own what we say, but I don't think level of fandom necessarily correlates to level of emotional outrage. Nobody here knows if CMW can or can't turn this program around. If I was a betting man, I would say he can't. BTW, I would also bet that Pearl, Oates, May, Beard, etc. couldn't either.  Not saying none of the could, just that the smart bet is they wouldn't. 

I personally don't like the title of this thread, I think it is reactive and overly emotional, But that is my opinion and I have no issue with all you "cry-babies" (this is a friendly poke) blowing off steam here instead of being a-holes to the people in your life.

giphy.gif

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

I'm guessing Gunn is a practice all star, especially against our defense.   Probably swishes those 19 foot jumpers all day long.  He'll go score 18 a game somewhere lower or even benefit from the Tamar Bates effect and be the 2nd best player on a real bad team, maybe DePaul.   

Banks.   Just doesn't have a comfort for the game or ball skills to play the bigger wing spot in power 6 ball.  

Gunn reminds me of Cooper Neese. Crazy ability to score in high school. Indiana kid. Struggled to find PT and a groove at Butler. Transferred to Indiana State and then in his final 2 seasons finally came to form. 

i love IU bball and always will.  look forward to every single game.  i just don't like where the program is.  calling last year a huge success just doesn't seem right to me.  i do think we can have higher expectations and i find it really hard to see why anyone would think Woodson is the guy to get us over the hump (see what i did there?).  i mean, i know he'll be back next year unless he gets frustrated enough to retire, but we are just sitting here waiting for that day and hoping the next guy is the right guy.  in the meantime, we'll get some solid players here and there, but have no fire or consistency.  no toughness. no discipline.  we'll hope to make the tourney each year.  hope to win a game in the tourney, then repeat.  this year is just unacceptable and there's a tremendous chance next year won't be any better.  that said, i'll still be watching and hoping i'm wrong!   

• Like 5