Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

Anyone else done with this thread for now?  Not much else new to say for or against.   

Did our it guys ever figure out a way to mute a conversation?  Sure ignore, but I respect most posters contributing here.  It's just the conversation.   This one and the mlb boxes trivia thing.  Mute these 2 and I'm a happy camper 😆 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i love IU bball and always will.  look forward to every single game.  i just don't like where the program is.  calling last year a huge success just doesn't seem right to me.  i do think we can have higher expectations and i find it really hard to see why anyone would think Woodson is the guy to get us over the hump (see what i did there?).  i mean, i know he'll be back next year unless he gets frustrated enough to retire, but we are just sitting here waiting for that day and hoping the next guy is the right guy.  in the meantime, we'll get some solid players here and there, but have no fire or consistency.  no toughness. no discipline.  we'll hope to make the tourney each year.  hope to win a game in the tourney, then repeat.  this year is just unacceptable and there's a tremendous chance next year won't be any better.  that said, i'll still be watching and hoping i'm wrong!   

No one called it a huge success. It was categorized as a "good" season.. It would be hard to spin it any other way. 

And this season is probably worse than "unacceptable"... if there is a term.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Anyone else done with this thread for now?  Not much else new to say for or against.   

Did our it guys ever figure out a way to mute a conversation?  Sure ignore, but I respect most posters contributing here.  It's just the conversation.   This one and the mlb boxes trivia thing.  Mute these 2 and I'm a happy camper 😆 

If anyone is bored with this thread, there are a few over at Rupp Rafters discussing replacements for their coach. You'll see some familiar names. 

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Maedhros said:

It never was. Even in Bob Knight's 29 years at Indiana:

• We finished the year unranked entirely 11 times. Six of those seasons started out ranked in the top 12.
  • We finished outside the top three in the Big Ten 8 times. 
  • We made only 14 Sweet Sixteens, just less than half the time. We made 8 Elite Eights.

In a 29 year stint, only 13 seasons met all three of the measurable criteria you provided. And that's with a HOF coach, one of the five or so best ever to do it. 

I often see charges of "accepting mediocrity" thrown around on this board, but some fans need to adjust their thinking of the good old days. There were some amazing highs in there, no doubt, but there were lows as well. If we stop inflating the past, maybe we'll provide a better environment for someone to build a program in the present.

Completely agree that we should accurately remember the past and that there were both highs and lows and not look solely through rose colored glasses.

But I would still offer that, yes, those were the minimally acceptable goals/standards (but 'goals' would have been a better word choice than 'requirements').

I'm pretty sure that Coach Knight himself (more than once) stressed that competing annually for the Big Ten Championship was a program goal of his. In order to do that you had to be within striking distance of being in the top two (or three at worst) in the conference (before the conference tourney came to be.)

And, if you were top 2-3 in conference, chances are good statistically that you would be top 20 to top 10 in the country, and garner a good NCAA seed.

And, if you were top 2-3 in the BIG at that time, and top 20 to 10 in the nation, not winning at least two NCAA games would amount to not going as far as you should have expected to go. I.e., below minimal expectations.

I'm not saying that those goals had/have to be met each and every year without fail, just that the program goals were significantly higher back then.

IMO, program goals and expectations have been slowly eroding to the point that now we're lauding just making the tournament as some great achievement. It just isn't. Being in the 'top 68' so to speak, should be an annual occurrence for a program striving be elite. 

I believe we're also to the point that if we beat Northwestern on our own court on Sunday it would be considered an upset.

Edited by BankShot

We need a coach that’s a great high school recruiter so we would only need to one one or two portal players per year. IU should never have to rely on the portal to be an elite program.  We want to be elite again. Hire elite and the recruits will be elite. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jojo123 said:

We need a coach that’s a great high school recruiter so we would only need to one one or two portal players per year. IU should never have to rely on the portal to be an elite program.  We want to be elite again. Hire elite and the recruits will be elite. 

giphy.gif

20 minutes ago, jojo123 said:

Like...Steve Pikiell? :D 

7 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Lots of room for interpretation... 

who cares. Be gone. He’s had plenty of opportunities. This is one step closer for Woodson finding the right players next season. He’s simply not a high major player. He would better serve a team at Ball State or Miami of Oh. 
Our long 2 attempts will decrease by at least 1/2.

Edited by Hoosier987
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Courtsensetwo said:

Win your Super Bowl, come to IU forum. Adorable.

For the record, this "Courtsensetwo" is not my account but one created by a Purdue grad who was booted from another forum multiple times for similar behavior.  I received a DM with a heads up that he had done this and who it is. 

None of his posts here are me.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

sure did.  almost makes me jealous.  they aren't waiting another year.  now they can go after one of those coaches that i wish we would get.  :(

To be fair, they did wait another year. OSU was terrible last year and it sounded like a lot of fans wanted him gone, but he still got this year. They’ve been on a downhill trend since losing to the 15 seed 2021