Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

48 minutes ago, IUJoe said:

While I agree, he's also going to have to be coached to do something other than stand and watch his man collect offensive rebounds.

I am avoiding the whole coaching thing.  That entire approach is going to have to change (which is why my current faith that this is going to end where we want it is really low).

46 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

That’s actually not true. MM projects to be really good next year regardless of if he is at the 3 or 4. He’s one of the best FR in the B1G. That said the team would likely be better if he’s at the 4. The problem with that is Reneau. Not MM. Reneau wants to be the 4 last I heard. 

If MM is at the 3 and Reneau the 4, we are right back to this year and you also have McNeely outside of his natural position (as likely the 2) getting attacked by smaller and quicker players and if Woodson has shown anything it is that his defense is great at negating that...(DWS)

• Like 5

Here is what I see happening. I still think Woodson is back. He goes to the portal and end up with a roster that looks like this. 
Transfer PG, Transfer SG/CG, Transfer Big/Queen, 2 Transfer bench G/W’s, Transfer big, Cupps, Galloway, Newton, MM, McNeeley, Reneau, and Sparks. 

8 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

If MM is at the 3 and Reneau the 4, we are right back to this year and you also have McNeely outside of his natural position (as likely the 2) getting attacked by smaller and quicker players and if Woodson has shown anything it is that his defense is great at negating that...(DWS)

I’m worried more about scoring and hitting shots than the defense. I believe another year can improve some of that stuff with MM can improve but we will see. I’m not sure how things will play out and Maybe Reneau is willing to play more 5 next year. I really just don’t know what will happen.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Here is what I see happening. I still think Woodson is back. He goes to the portal and end up with a roster that looks like this. 
Transfer PG, Transfer SG/CG, Transfer Big/Queen, 2 Transfer bench G/W’s, Transfer big, Cupps, Galloway, Newton, MM, McNeeley, Reneau, and Sparks. 

If galloway is back, so is Leal. never see one without the other.

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

McNeely plays the 2 at Montverde

3 hours ago, DC2345 said:

People don’t have to gauge things with Banks and Gunn. They’re almost certainly leaving. Reneau is who was being reached out to but I don’t think things went too far. It’s sounding like MM could be back. I still believe Galloway is back as well. 

Thanks! Yea I automatically assume anyone that isn’t cracking the top 7-8 in a rotation wants to go elsewhere. 

As it stands, do you think Reneau stays? At least on the surface it looks Liam is. Very surprised but happy to hear about Mac. Chris on BTB said his family wants him to go pro next year regardless of draft status. A front court of Queen, Reneau, Mac, and Liam sounds really good! Keep Gallo, add maybe one of Davis or Brown Jr and I think you wouldn’t need to add a ton of extra pieces in the portal (assuming guys like Newton, Cupps, Sparks, and Leal want to stay as depth pieces). 

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, as much as I think IU needs a change, if things fall right this is also really fixable. If Woodson can convince the right guys to come back and he has a pretty solid track record of getting guys to return/not transfer. But, he's going to have to change how he recruits and the style of play. 

McNeely, while obviously a great shooter, is more athletic and explosive than MM. Get McNeely at the 3, MM at the 4 and Reneau at the 5. Galloway back. Then go hit the transfer portal hard for veteran guards and wings that are smart, tough and can create and/or make shots. 

Problem is, it could just as easily go other way where we lose almost all of those guys and it's basically a rebuild. 

Unfortunately you would probably have a better shot at hitting the power ball than getting woody to play MM at the 4…incredibly frustrating 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, as much as I think IU needs a change, if things fall right this is also really fixable. If Woodson can convince the right guys to come back and he has a pretty solid track record of getting guys to return/not transfer. But, he's going to have to change how he recruits and the style of play. 

McNeely, while obviously a great shooter, is more athletic and explosive than MM. Get McNeely at the 3, MM at the 4 and Reneau at the 5. Galloway back. Then go hit the transfer portal hard for veteran guards and wings that are smart, tough and can create and/or make shots. 

Problem is, it could just as easily go other way where we lose almost all of those guys and it's basically a rebuild. 

I would add that impact freshmen can make a helluva difference.  If McNeely can come in and be a "man" right away it tilts the scales.  

• Like 1

i can totally imagine the bind that Woodson is in with Mtaco.  you sell a kid on the idea that he is an NBA 3 and he'll be starting at the 3 for you.  i don't have a problem with that.  the tough thing is are you good enough to then sell him on the fact that it will help the team win if he moves to the 4 and that it will also make him look better because his current role isn't doing that?  can you sell him that although he will technically be a 4, you will help him develop the skills to be an NBA 3?  i hope so.  i agree that a very good transfer PG, Galloway, McNeeley, Mtaco, and Reneau could be solid next year.  thing is... as others mentioned... there is also a problem with Reneau.  can Woodson convince him to play the 5?  All of that is the head coach's responsibility and i don't see it happening.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Fkfootball said:

If Woodson comes back, I hope we win like 5 games next season. I want them all humiliated for this incompetence.

What are terrible take. 

18 hours ago, loviubb said:

I try to stay away from posting much! BUT WHEN IU HAS PEOPLE WISHING IU WINS 5!!!! GAMES! PISS ME OFF!! IF OUR COACH MIKE WOODSON CAN'T RIGHT THE SHIP THEN IT WILL !!!! PROCEED AS IS!! I HOPE IU!!! COACH WOODSON LEADS US TOO ANOTHER BANNER!! ANYONE WHO WANT'S IU TO WIN 5 GAMES IS NOT A FAN OF OLD IU!!! DRUNK AND RANTING!!

I couldn't agree more. Get lost if that's the way you feel. Everyone is disappointed with this season. Woody will either turn it around or be gone. Not much more complicated than that. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

What are terrible take. 

I couldn't agree more. Get lost if that's the way you feel. Everyone is disappointed with this season. Woody will either turn it around or be gone. Not much more complicated than that. 

gotta think he is a troll right?

• Like 1

The good news is as stated by others this is totally fixable! We have some nice pieces on the roster for next year and if we had a couple impact guards to go with Mcneeley who looks like a stud we’re back! but I have no faith after 3 years that Woodson is willing to change style and scheme and play smaller more modern on offense and stop with the over helping Nail, slot, rim defense.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DC2345 said:

Oof, that's a lot of transfers. I know we all kind of know that already, but looking at it laid out like that, and given the recent track record for guards in the portal, that could go really badly way more easily than it could break right, IMO.

The only reason you should be in that position entering year 4 is if you'd set the roster up for a monster year 3 and needed to replace a lot of experience. Needless to say, that wasn't the case here. 

Edited by IUProfessor
  • Like 4