Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

2 minutes ago, IUJoe said:

If that’s our lineup, McNeely and the point guard will have to combine for 20 rebounds per game.

That is definitely true. However, my fear is that if we get somebody like Queen and Mgbako stays, we are going to be forced into.....

Malik playing the 4 when he should be a 5.
Mgbako playing the 3 when he should be a 4
McNeely playing the 2 when he should be a 3

I don't know. I just don't see a quick way out of this for Woody. Our statistical best player in Malik pushes everybody out of their natural position because somebody thinks he's a 4 when he's really just a poor rebounding 5. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Just curious to see what everybody thinks...

IF our starting line-up next year consists of....

Malik
Mgbako
McNeely
Gallo
high end PG transfer

On a scale of 1-10, how confident are you that we will run something that resembles more of a 4 out 1 in scheme? 

I think I'm at a 4.

IMO, we're not getting any high end point guards.  And honestly, we need to pick up 2 or 3 PG/SGs out of the portal.  I could care less what they were ranked and more about can they shoot, score and take care of the ball.   Unfortunately Galloway is SG that can't really shoot (Every year but last year) but brings great energy and passion to the floor.  Need him first off the bench for 1-3.  Cupps is going to be good, probably still needs to come off the bench next year though.  

We can be good next year.  Are we going to be, don't know?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

IMO, we're not getting any high end point guards.  And honestly, we need to pick up 2 or 3 PG/SGs out of the portal.  I could care less what they were ranked and more about can they shoot, score and take care of the ball.   Unfortunately Galloway is SG that can't really shoot (Every year but last year) but brings great energy and passion to the floor.  Need him first off the bench for 1-3.  Cupps is going to be good, probably still needs to come off the bench next year though.  

We can be good next year.  Are we going to be, don't know?

I get it. But if Woody does focus on getting more shots for everybody not name Malik, then you do have two 3 point threats (MM and McNeely) along side Gallo. Gallo had too much responsibility this year. He shot better last year because his role was to solely shoot open shots and drive the ball. This year he's also the point guard, distributor and playmaker. If we let him play the role he thrives in, lessen his responsibility, and MM/McNeely open up the floor for him to drive, I think he could settle into the 2 just fine. But that's a WHOLE lot of IF's. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I get it. But if Woody does focus on getting more shots for everybody not name Malik, then you do have two 3 point threats (MM and McNeely) along side Gallo. Gallo had too much responsibility this year. He shot better last year because his role was to solely shoot open shots and drive the ball. This year he's also the point guard, distributor and playmaker. If we let him play the role he thrives in, lessen his responsibility, and MM/McNeely open up the floor for him to drive, I think he could settle into the 2 just fine. But that's a WHOLE lot of IF's. 

don't disagree.  I am not putting my chickens in the McNeely basket just yet.  Freshman, even highly touted ones struggle at times to adjust to the speed and skill of the college game.  MM has some of the tools and can shoot well from three when wide open, but he struggles to create his own 3pt shots.  He is decent at going to the rim with his size, but even then, can struggle. I am hoping for a big jump from MM which would be huge for IU next year.  Malik has to grow as a player in Vision and Decision making.  If those2 can make the Jump, we could be a decent team.  Still need a PG/SG with starting caliber skills.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

20-12 with an NCAA bid next year would get Coach Woodson another year or 2 from most, even people who currently want him fired.  It would feel like we were moving in the right direction and maybe we would be.  Even we have the same issues but win more games.

That would be firmly on the bubble going into this time of year.  People would be losing their minds like they are right now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

don't disagree.  I am not putting my chickens in the McNeely basket just yet.  Freshman, even highly touted ones struggle at times to adjust to the speed and skill of the college game.  MM has some of the tools and can shoot well from three when wide open, but he struggles to create his own 3pt shots.  He is decent at going to the rim with his size, but even then, can struggle. I am hoping for a big jump from MM which would be huge for IU next year.  Malik has to grow as a player in Vision and Decision making.  If those2 can make the Jump, we could be a decent team.  Still need a PG/SG with starting caliber skills.

Montverde players, more than most, seem to come in well coached and ready to play. I'd bet McNeely plays at a high level from day one.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

I've been sending money to IU every month since I graduated. I finally put a stop to it this morning. COMPLETE CLOWN SHOW. 

Give Brad a blank check. 

If he says no. Then just hire Pearl. Woodson is an absolute joke. Least amount of IU Basketball Ive watched in over 20 years. Does Dolson have any balls? I doubt it. He should go as well. 

Who's Brad?

Can we stop with the Brad Stevens crap? It's clear that he's never going to coach College Basketball ever again. I doubt he ever coaches again period. The guy loves his cushy Boston lifestyle. IU would require a coach that has to "work." Thats why Woodson is so awful. He's lazy too.

16 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

I've been sending money to IU every month since I graduated. I finally put a stop to it this morning. COMPLETE CLOWN SHOW. 

Give Brad a blank check. 

If he says no. Then just hire Pearl. Woodson is an absolute joke. Least amount of IU Basketball Ive watched in over 20 years. Does Dolson have any balls? I doubt it. He should go as well. 

Send it to the NIL supporting football.  Basketball doesn't matter.  

Edited by Common Sense

1 hour ago, RoadToZion said:

Give Brad a blank check. 

Supposedly Carl Cook is a big Woody fan.  I have no idea why but that's a huge roadblock if true.

• Sad 1