Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

35 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

You officially and respectfully have your head in the sand.  Either that or you purposefully aren't paying attention. 

I'd simply call it blind optimism, nothing wrong with that, but it is what it is. Woodson has shown absolutely NOTHING in regards to competent roster management and his refusal to adapt to a modern style of basketball only further complicates things. Thinking 65 year old Mike Woodson is going to land the necessary 6-7 portal acquisitions and have them competing for a B10 title next year is just that, wishful thinking. It's not going to happen. 

Reality is that Woodson inherited an experienced bunch from his predecessor on top of a generational talent entering his upperclassmen years and still delivered pretty underwhelming results all things considered. Next year is going to be an absolute train wreck and he's not going to hear the end of it until he's gone. We're going to miss out on some of the best prospects this state has produced in awhile and it's because we refused to make a change when there was a clear writing on the wall. We'll end up hiring Dusty May a year too late, all his FAU players will be out of eligibility, and with zero incoming recruits willing to stick out a regime change. A long road ahead of us, buckle up for these next 13-14 months. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

Idk,even my high school coaches would break down film almost immediately.   We had shoot around or practice the very next morning so they had to prepare.  Others can feel free to chime in on this.  

Obviously not having a calm mature experienced bucket getting ball handler has basically train wrecked the season.  

What is he supposed to say?  I made it simple.  Competent answers.  Anyone who has ever had to do a lot of public speaking knows there are times when the words are flowing and you sound like a genius and other times you can't get the flow going and you feel like you sound like an idiot.  He just recently held a stat sheet in his hand that said we shot like 52% from the field and he said we lost because we didn't hit shots.  There has been some borderline Kenny Payne moments recently that even us rose colored glasses guys grimace and cringe at.  Like calling Reneau awful.  Maybe he knows what buttons to push with him but the coach and system, if there is one, has to put guys in position to succeed as well.  

I have no clue what billionaires say or do.  The people I know with lots of money are in the 10-40 million dollar net worth range.  And most of them have pretty large egos and high opinions of their own opinions.  Can't imagine that diminishes the more filthy rich you get.  Think guys like Jerry Jones and Jim Irsay.  When they have an idea or opinion, it's likely going to happen according to their plan, not a guy making $626,000 to be an atheltic director.  

Future.  I've said this thing is correctable but man.  If we manage to bring some alphas in here handling the ball next year, taking and getting the shots.  We still gotta rebound and defend at an ymca or 5th grade pe class level.  Cupps has a lot of ways to go.  If he can make a big jump he can be a 15 minute guy next year on a top 25 team.  2nd unit leader.  He's not a starter next year.  If we run that back, I'll have to sharpen the tips of my pitch fork.  Guys can and should grow. 

We've put ourselves in such a bad light with style of play the last three years, basically the opposite of what Crean did.  He never wavered off his desired system, regardless of personnel.   We have no clue what the system is, what the defense is supposed to look like consistently.   Offense is definitely not a 4 out.  Defensive rating has slide each year.  Blame it all on X not leading the point of attack, ok.  Why are old sophomores still lost?  Why is blocking out non existent 30 games into the season.  So many red flags are now waiving, not even rose colored glasses can keep my 5 year old from seeing it.  

I know RMK who was one of the best coaches of all time had practices right after a bad loss. If it was on the road they went from the airport to AH for a practice. I know you can't do that anymore but it proves even the best of all time didn't take a cooling off period 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Of course it does...I've heard him say "And that's on me" more times than I can count...

I'm not sure what you want to hear at a press conference...

I said in my post, your reaction can NEVER be driven by emotion...Which is exactly what drives most of the narrative here in my opinion...

I want to hear what he is going to do to change all the problems and not I need to get them over the hump.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Bless him...he doesn't see it coming.

Yes, “try” being the operative word. You tried and it didn’t succeed. Not surprising at all when you’ve never coached college basketball…Which is why journalists are politely asking you to retire. 

You call yourself a “realist”. How are you here to put this program in “the best position possible” when you yourself say your team only plays well in “spurts”?!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

He's beholden to you?

Was RMK? 

How about seeing results on the court that the work you are doing to change the problems is actually working. We are making the same mistakes now that we have been making from the first game. He hasn't adjusted anything offensively to get us better looks. He said his job wasn't to get Miller Kopp shots which is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. You don't think RMK didn't try to get his best shooters good shots

5 minutes ago, Indykev said:

I think this is why people get frustrated with Woody's comments. The replies people want to hear are: "from one reason or another, we aren't performing well in this area. Rather make excuses, our staff needs to find new ways to remedy our free throw shooting woes, and we will. We won't rest until we get this improved.' 

At this point, this is not a 'throw your hands up in the air' issue. They are FREE throws. It can't generally be chalked up to a bad mindset.

I'm going to paste here what i posted in another thread:

I have no idea what IU does at practice, but I don’t buy we just happen to be bad at free throws years after year and other programs just happen to be good at free throws year after year. Yes, the players share responsibility, but when each player is not improving, or in most cases getting worse, the problem is systemic. 

Malik and Ware have a worse FT% this year than they did last year. 
Gallo has progressively gotten worse every single year he’s been here. 
Mgbako has progressively gotten worse as the season has progressed.
Cupps shot 77% in high school - he’s shooting 61% this season.

That, folks, is our starting line up, our top 5 in minutes played and they account for 87% of the free throws attempted on this team.

Everybody in the starting lineup magically lost their mindset when they got to IU? If they did, then the issue is much, much deeper.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I think this is why people get frustrated with Woody's comments. The replies people want to hear are: "from one reason or another, we aren't performing well in this area. Rather make excuses, our staff needs to find new ways to remedy our free throw shooting woes, and we will. We won't rest until we get this improved.' 

At this point, this is not a 'throw your hands up in the air' issue. They are FREE throws. It can't generally be chalked up to a bad mindset.

I'm going to paste here what i posted in another thread:

I have no idea what IU does at practice, but I don’t buy we just happen to be bad at free throws years after year and other programs just happen to be good at free throws year after year. Yes, the players share responsibility, but when each player is not improving, or in most cases getting worse, the problem is systemic. 

Malik and Ware have a worse FT% this year than they did last year. 
Gallo has progressively gotten worse every single year he’s been here. 
Mgbako has progressively gotten worse as the season has progressed.
Cupps shot 77% in high school - he’s shooting 61% this season.

That, folks, is our starting line up, our top 5 in minutes played and they account for 87% of the free throws attempted on this team.

Everybody in the starting lineup magically lost their mindset when they got to IU? If they did, then the issue is much, much deeper.

To be fair, Mgbako was shooting like 100% for a bit. He could only regress from there.

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, DireBump said:

To be fair, Mgbako was shooting like 100% for a bit. He could only regress from there.

for sure. But in the beginning of the season you can count on him making both FT's on most trips to the line. Now I expect him to go 1 of 1. And after hitting 20 something in a row to start off the season, hit percentage has slipped to 82% (he's 76% in conference play). 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

TG is a considerably better basketball player now than he was a FR, and before CMW took over. I am not sure how anyone could think otherwise? 

FT%? Malik is like 5 total makes away from his percentage last season.... worried about FT % with Ware? I don't follow. Dude has improved quite a bit. 

Malik's improvement has been pretty crazy, compared to last year, as well. 

I don't understand why your reply is relevant to my post. I was specifically replying to the post about free throws, not overall development. 

Everybody you mentioned is shooting free throws at a lower percentage when compared to last season. And in the case of Galloway:

image.png.3618e67e0022a66e44501beb4daa5fb7.png

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yeah...remind me who was the best shooter on the 1987 team? And who took the last shot?

It was done within the flow of the offense...

There was nothing wrong with the way we used MK. Check his shooting #s at NW when there were "plays/sets" ran for him... shooting #s weren't good. 

4 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I don't understand why your reply is relevant to my post. I was specifically replying to the post about free throws, not overall development. 

Everybody you mentioned is shooting free throws at a lower percentage when compared to last season. And in the case of Galloway:

image.png.3618e67e0022a66e44501beb4daa5fb7.png

Oh my bad. I was wtf--- this dude knows ball--- how is watching TG and saying he hasn't improved?   

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

TG is a considerably better basketball player now than he was a FR, and before CMW took over. I am not sure how anyone could think otherwise? 

FT%? Malik is like 5 total makes away from his percentage last season.... worried about FT % with Ware? I don't follow. Dude has improved quite a bit. 

Malik's improvement has been pretty crazy, compared to last year, as well. 

This season has stunk no doubt about it. But they were/are not going to fire Woody after one down season after two seasons of decent improvement. This will be a a key off season, but I swear people really need to focus on other things on day-to-day basis. Coming to a forum every day to over dissect every issue, calling for Woody's head etc has to be exhausting. Like my mom used to say, go outside and play. Go to a friends house. Take a break from the day to day complaining about IUBB. Some people are still bitching about Crean and the Zone. Some of these fans were not even alive when IU was a top program (haven't been since the 90s). I don't think anyone is accepting this season or mediocrity, but college sports is a total different landscape than it use to be. Some teams simply are not going to be very good because of roster turnover or portal issues. Each season is going to be different than the next more so than it used to be. Does that give Woody and excuse? Do I think Woody is the greatest coach? No. But I also don't think he's what a lot of people are saying. I think you just have to ride this season out, hope they win a few here at the end then flush this season down the toilet. That being said, he can't afford another season like this one any time soon. 

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, btownqb said:

There was nothing wrong with the way we used MK. Check his shooting #s at NW when there were "plays/sets" ran for him... shooting #s weren't good. 

I agree...

My point in the whole thing is, what was a good shot for Alford was waaaay more expanded than it was for say Darryl Thomas, or even Keith Smart...So of course he took more shots, but he did it within the flow of RMK's offense...

And the end of the NC game, it wasn't drawn up for Alford...they simply ran the offense and Smart had the first good look...

Edited by IUFLA