Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

I think what is starting to twist my shorts is that Woody is acting like he is untouchable.  He gives the same bs at EVERY post game press conference.  If you know what the problems are, but haven’t made any improvements by game 26, the rest of us are left with the thought that you have no idea how to fix the problems.  His lack of humility is disturbing.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Inequality said:

I feel a change coming. If not, next season will be insufferable. It’s so obvious there has to be a big move made. Folks are ready to run him out of Bloomington as it is.

Like I said earlier….this feels different that the later stages of Miller and Crean. It feels worse.

Edited by Artesian_86
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

This feels the exact same to me 

At least you could argue the final Archie/Crean teams were a win or two away from the bubble. This team is a win or two a way from the NIT bubble.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Muddy River said:

Look, if the IU Old Guard wanted Woody because they wanted an IU guy to bring back Bob Knight basketball, they cannot be happy.  This has to be the farthest thing from what they wanted.

I’m an Old(ish) Guard IU fan and thought it was absolutely asinine from day 1. I think you’ll find most IU fans regardless of age simply want IU to be good again. Nothing about this hire made an ounce of sense.

Edited by IndyResident16
  • Like 4

I am desperate (as I’m sure most other fans are) to just not have an IU team that either sucks or is just mediocre. I know I’m young but there’s only been a handful of IU teams that fit that criteria in my lifetime. If the administration doesn’t get serious about hiring a winner for a coach they risk losing their biggest asset: the fans.

• Like 3

Woodson is a nice guy. And he’s IU royalty. But it is absolutely undeniable that he rode TJD’s coattails his first two seasons.

We have all the bad parts of having an NBA coach-no discipline, rotations, etc. with none of the good parts-high level offense, shooting, etc. It’s a joke. If we’re a serious program Woodson is asked to retire at the end of the year. If he won’t accept, fire him.

• Like 7

Woodson just seems lost. TJD isn’t there to cover up his coaching deficiencies. Anyone that knows basketball can see this team is lost, disjointed, no fundamental basketball play. That is the shocker considering who he played for. It will take Buckner, Wittman and Isiah to somehow convince him to retire gracefully. Otherwise, next year will be worse. Very sad to see what has happened. I had high hopes.

• Like 2

If Coach Woodson TRULY does love IU basketball, he will retire at the end of the season and keep his dignity and status in Bloomington.  He could go a step further, if he REALLY loves IU basketball and the state of Indiana, and forego his buyout. The man likely has 10 times more money than the collective of all of us on this board. It should not be about money at this point. 
He gave his best as our coach and I applaud him for that and thank him for trying to right the ship.  Though we all doubt it will happen, it is time to gracefully step aside, thank the fans for their support, and wish IU basketball the best going forward. 

• Like 5

*Doogie Howser music playing in the background*

Dear Diary,

What does IU Basketball collectively do as a team that would be considered good?

The only thing I can think of is getting to the free throw line, but we are the worst in the conference at making free throws.

Some of my fellow fans like to point out that many teams and coaches have down years and they are 100% right. But in those cases a down year is not performing up to the program's expectations. Those teams still have an identity and foundation to fall back on. They still may perform well in some aspects of the game, giving the coach only a few things to clean up on in the off-season, which ultimately gets the program back on track.

This is more than a down year. This is close to rock bottom. We don't need to clean up a few things. We need to clean up ALL the things. And as we dig ourselves deeper into a hole I'm asking myself, as a proponent of keeping Woody another year, how realistic will it be for this staff to fix so many things in a single off-season? 

As a fan my bare minimum expectations is: just make the tournament. Today, I find myself coming to the realization that a huge success for this staff will be to make it back to the tournament next year. In other words, my 'bare minimum expectation' just morphed into to what I'd considered a huge success. 

That's just F'd up. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 4