Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

8 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Dolson's list. It's more of the pecking order. There's names that have been contacted but I don't know for sure who target A, B, C, and D are for sure. Pearl and May are two of them. 

Not to change the subject, but just curious..... did you happen to know any of the other football coaching candidates besides Cignetti? If so, where was Cignetti in the A, B, C, and D order. Just curious.

29 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Not to change the subject, but just curious..... did you happen to know any of the other football coaching candidates besides Cignetti? If so, where was Cignetti in the A, B, C, and D order. Just curious.

Fitzgerald was the first option but he wasn't approved by Whitten. Candle was in the mix. Frye, Hart, and Chryst were all interviewed as well. 

• Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

So, I'd think that means there's zero chance for Chris Beard. 

Not necessarily.  Fitzgerald's situation was involving the team and hazing culture.  Beard's issue was personal.  Fitzgerald was found guilty (fired) while Beard's charges were dropped at the request of the alleged victim.  One is a big black mark, the other one has many, many shades of grey.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Not necessarily.  Fitzgerald's situation was involving the team and hazing culture.  Beard's issue was personal.  Fitzgerald was found guilty (fired) while Beard's charges were dropped at the request of the alleged victim.  One is a big black mark, the other one has many, many shades of grey.

There's literally not a chance that Beard will ever be the HC at Indiana University. 

• Thanks 5

14 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

There's literally not a chance that Beard will ever be the HC at Indiana University. 

That’s some of the nicest things anyone has ever said on the interwebs.

But honestly, do you think there’s anyone reflecting on the past 3 years who are past players/involved with Coach Knight era NOT flabbergasted by the product on the floor now? The intangibles demanded from that era are all gone. 

23 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Well to me that really sucks. He will probably win a championship somewhere. For him to not even be considered when the time comes for a coaching change is ridiculous IMO. But then again our administration has been ridiculous for decades now.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, DC2345 said:

I will say this. It was nice to see IU win last night. That said I don't believe that game or any others will have any real impact on a decision. If Dolson can get a proven coach in the bag a move will be made. IU is about to be in recruiting purgatory because of Woodson's contract situation. He would need an extension to help that and that's just not happening. 

He's gonna fit in perfectly here.  Like Bobby never left.

dfsdfs.gif.6a5b0e491f4f7b038a7aa65173fa848f.gif

• Haha 5

44 minutes ago, DunkinDipo said:

Well to me that really sucks. He will probably win a championship somewhere. For him to not even be considered when the time comes for a coaching change is ridiculous IMO. But then again our administration has been ridiculous for decades now.

How is it ridiculous to not want himcoaching at IU. Hiring him might he the one thing for me to stop rooting for IU

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

53 minutes ago, DunkinDipo said:

It’s not ridiculous. He shouldn’t be a candidate 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

It’s not ridiculous. He shouldn’t be a candidate 

Agreed. There is more than one coach out there who is capable of winning a national title at IU.

Setting aside the rumors that his background was problematic before the alleged DV incident, that incident alone makes him too risky to hire from an administrator's perspective. If you hire him, and he has another similar allegation made against him here, you (the administrator) are toast.

37 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

How is it ridiculous to not want himcoaching at IU. Hiring him might he the one thing for me to stop rooting for IU

What has he done wrong that is so offensive? That very same evening, his ex-fiancee was already dropping the charges, saying that she had culpability in the incident as well. The DA even said there was a lack of evidence. 

The two of them are no longer together, and he doesn't have a track record of abuse or issues with alcohol. 

By the facts that are known, it was a really bad argument between a couple that got a little out of hand. 

Or did I miss another story somewhere?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

What has he done wrong that is so offensive? That very same evening, his ex-fiancee was already dropping the charges, saying that she had culpability in the incident as well. The DA even said there was a lack of evidence. 

The two of them are no longer together, and he doesn't have a track record of abuse or issues with alcohol. 

By the facts that are known, it was a really bad argument between a couple that got a little out of hand. 

Or did I miss another story somewhere?

This wasn't just a he-said, she-said situation. The police report documented that she had a bite mark on her arm. 

Her refusal to cooperate with prosecutors may have made trying the case untenable, but any school looking to hire him would need to make its own assessment of the situation, not just move forward because the alleged victim changed her story.

Edited by IUProfessor

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I didn't know it was guilty until proven innocent in our justice system. Are you saying Ole Miss is a terribly unethical university for hiring him? I'm sure they did their due diligence and had their own investigation. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

This wasn't just a he-said, she-said situation. The police report documented that she had a bite mark on her arm. 

Her refusal to cooperate with prosecutors may have made trying the case untenable, but any school looking to hire him would need to make its own assessment of the situation, not just move forward because the alleged victim changed her story.

You don't think Ole Miss did that? 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, DunkinDipo said:

You don't think Ole Miss did that? 

I think their standards are different. I don't think that means IU coming to a different conclusion means IU isn't serious about winning. It just means IU has higher standards than Ole Miss.

Edited by IUProfessor
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I like Dusty May. If he can build FAU into a competitive and respectful program then he should do well with the IU brand and resources.

That said, if a more instantaneous approach is the goal, a coach like Pearl is the easy choice. His age is a concern for me though.

With the transfer portal, a good staff can build a roster fairly quick.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

I know I'm legendary for my sarcastic comments, but this actually isn't one of them.  What if she's kinky and into that? Not exactly something you're going to admit to in a police report. 

• Like 2

Just now, Inequality said:

I like Dusty May. If he can build FAU into a competitive and respectful program then he should do well with the IU brand and resources.

That said, if a more instantaneous approach is the goal, a coach like Pearl is the easy choice. His age is a concern for me though.

With the transfer portal, a good staff can build a roster fairly quick.

Problem is that staff that builds with too many kids from portal have no success in that year.  You need to developed it as well and build it.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

I think their standards are different. I don't think that means IU coming to a different conclusion means IU isn't serious about winning. It just means IU has higher standards than Ole Miss.

And an IU has more options IMO, because it has A LOT more going for it longterm if the right coach comes.

I really tend to think most IU fans don’t GET what IU has to offer a coach. Our fanbase loyalty, the recruiting base, the prestige, the facilities to an extent (still can improve), the money, etc…there is nothing about IU that would limit a coach who has the ability to win a national title.

That’s what Miller knew and said. Crean knew and said. If Crean could recruit as he did here, so many other coaches can recruit at that level and HIGHER. And there’s more than enough talent in our region, if plucked, to maintain a consistent top 10 program just like UNC, Kansas, etc. heck I’d argue we have better regional recruiting than some of the perennial contenders.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1