Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

3 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

What has he done wrong that is so offensive? That very same evening, his ex-fiancee was already dropping the charges, saying that she had culpability in the incident as well. The DA even said there was a lack of evidence. 

The two of them are no longer together, and he doesn't have a track record of abuse or issues with alcohol. 

By the facts that are known, it was a really bad argument between a couple that got a little out of hand. 

Or did I miss another story somewhere?

It has been reported IU and other teams has vetted him before and found other things that made him unhireable. Also because they didn't prosecute him doesn't mean it didn't happen.

3 hours ago, DunkinDipo said:

I didn't know it was guilty until proven innocent in our justice system. Are you saying Ole Miss is a terribly unethical university for hiring him? I'm sure they did their due diligence and had their own investigation. 

Pretty much

2 hours ago, IUProfessor said:

I really think some of you would be singing a different tune if this had been your daughter/sister/etc.

Actually, I've seen the outcome of sexual assault up close.  My girlfriend is a victim of both assault and sexual assault from an ex-boyfriend.  Still has nightmares about it to this day.  That kind of trauma is real, and my heart goes out to true victims. 

That's also why I can say what I said.  An actual victim might have dropped the charges, but the odds they are in a right state of mind less than 24 hours after the incident to protest the charges against the alleged perpetrator are between really really slim and none. And slim might not have left town, but you can see his taillights.

Is that situation a good one to be in? Absolutely not.  I think it's the result of tempers flaring in a situation involving alcohol.  Both parties bear some responsibility.  I know this is the opposite end of the extreme, but it's the only example I can think of off the top of my head.  It's not as if he's Deshaun Watson (aka Groper Cleveland) leaving a wake of "incidents" with multiple women.  This is the only incident like this that we know about. 

I also don't think it's a situation that can be treated lightly.  If IU were to consider Beard, I'd expect them to dig and do their due diligence.  Go interview his ex-fiancee, go interview his ex-wife, go interview anyone else he's allegedly associated with in the last 10 years.  If you see anything remotely resembling a red flag, then cut him loose.  But if he comes through as clean as anyone could with only the one known incident being a negative, then he's a candidate. 

Oh, FWIW, my girlfriend's perpetrator had a previous assault conviction, several alcohol and drug paraphernalia charges and is now doing time. 

Like I said, my heart goes out to true victims of crime like this.  But I can also be objective and evaluate each situation independently.  But....if you want to judge me and think I'm just making this statement flippantly, be my guest. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

No question, but his FF team won’t win its conference this year with primarily the same players. They are an entertaining team to watch, but they play matador defense. Will his wide open offensive style play in the B1G?

Underwood brought his system to IL and it was a disaster. He would have been fired if he didn’t completely adjust. Would May be able to do the same and be successful?

You do realize FAU changed conferences and is in a lot better conference 

1 hour ago, BADGERVOL said:

The problem with basing too much on a single tourney run is just that…a single run here teams get hot.

That is my one big worry I need calmed.

They were 30-4 last year and have beaten some top teams this year including Arizona

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Inequality said:

FAU was nothing before May. He built it from ground up to a respectable team with a great outlook for the program as it stands now. They had only been to the NCAAT once (2002) before Mays arrival.

There is a reason he is in the Ohio St conversation. At only 47 years old, landing at the right spot could set him up for long term success at the highest level.

Yeah, absolutely. I'm not against May by any means, I just wish he was a year further along right now and we could see how he did after his current core has broken up. 

But, I would definitely take him right now too. Not #1 on my list, but would be a good hire right now. 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, absolutely. I'm not against May by any means, I just wish he was a year further along right now and we could see how he did after his current core has broken up. 

But, I would definitely take him right now too. Not #1 on my list, but would be a good hire right now. 

He’d be number two for me

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Coaching FAU and coaching at IU are absolutely 2 different animals too….

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JW75 said:

Coaching FAU and coaching at IU are absolutely 2 different animals too….

Correct. But we’re likely not hiring a former IU coach to coach IU nor will we land another big time coach who’s already currently successful at their school. So at some point we have to make an assessment as to how their potential translates.

Notice I use the word “we” because quite frankly this board among others play a critical role it helping this transition for OUR program.

💪🏻😎

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, BADGERVOL said:

Correct. But we’re likely not hiring a former IU coach to coach IU nor will we land another big time coach who’s already currently successful at their school. So at some point we have to make an assessment as to how their potential translates.

Notice I use the word “we” because quite frankly this board among others play a critical role it helping this transition for OUR program.

💪🏻😎

What about Pearl?

6 minutes ago, Fkfootball said:

Woodson not recruiting for 2025 could be because he won't be here in 2025? Wishful thinking. But who knows?

….this is what I’ve read in other boards. Some speculate Coach Woodson and his coaching staff aren’t out watching HS recruits because Coach Woodson already knows his fate. 

4 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

What has he done wrong that is so offensive? That very same evening, his ex-fiancee was already dropping the charges, saying that she had culpability in the incident as well. The DA even said there was a lack of evidence. 

The two of them are no longer together, and he doesn't have a track record of abuse or issues with alcohol. 

By the facts that are known, it was a really bad argument between a couple that got a little out of hand. 

Or did I miss another story somewhere?

image.thumb.png.c997cbd3809b38888f0f79e581ef5a58.png