Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

Just now, btownqb said:

elaborate please

Early in the week IU had reached out at least one HS and maybe multiple about attending their sectional game last night. Then they went silent and decided not to go. It's also a terrible look for a HC that is not in the safest spot from a job security stand point. 

• Like 7

Just now, DC2345 said:

Early in the week IU had reached out at least one HS and maybe multiple about attending their sectional game last night. Then they went silent and decided not to go. It's also a terrible look for a HC that is not in the safest spot from a job security stand point. 

All fair. Makes sense. 

reaching out to HSs about going and then .... not going. That might be something, for sure. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

All fair. Makes sense. 

reaching out to HSs about going and then .... not going. That might be something, for sure. 

It just seems odd. Coupled with all somewhat credible rumors that are swirling makes me think that the staff knows something and doesn't want to waste their time. 

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, btownqb said:

My comment wasn't worried about Trilly. It was "I hope there is more than one source spreading this"

I saw that Trilly's info is supposedly coming from the Pearl camp. Not IU. 

Even if this were true, Pearl has a team that is capable of getting to the final four - does he want this info getting out? It'd seem like a huge distraction. 

Logically it doesn't make sense that there is so much smoke, this early. Sure, crazier things have happened, but I'm still a skeptic. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, tdhoosier said:

Even if this were true, Pearl has a team that is capable of getting to the final four - does he want this info getting out? It'd seem like a huge distraction. 

Logically it doesn't make sense that there is so much smoke, this early. Sure, crazier things have happened, but I'm still a skeptic. 

Things like this get out when you have an account like Trilly that has multiple people feeding it legit intel from all over the country. It's also not a legit media outlet so they don't have to play by the same rules as many other people do. That's why they could care less about what gets leaked to the Trilly account. 

11 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Are they still getting a paycheck this week?

5 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I think they'll get one until the season ends. It's not like IU has anything to gain by making a change now. 

Point being. If they are still getting paid, they should be recruiting

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

agreed, but i would think he would do it because he cares about his alma mater.  i would assume he would not be seeking another job.  seems he is best suited for retirement.  

I'm not thinking about Woodson with that post, but rather Hunter, Rosemand and Walsh. Presumably they still have careers in college basketball to think about, maybe even still with Indiana. Hunter and Walsh were here before Woodson, after all.

Even if Woodson is stepping aside, I'd think at least one of them would want to continue the relationships with Sisley, Mullins, et al. Maybe you can stay on staff with the next guy by being the bridge between these targets and the next administration. Or maybe you can get hired at Michigan or Ohio State based on the relationships you've built.

It's puzzling not to see any of the staff out seeing anyone at all, unless I missed it. 

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

Just like every time, if a coaching search happens, most of the innuendo here and elsewhere is made up BS.  People might even think they're passing along something real, but it is tea leaves built on top of tea leaves built on top of twitter likes built on top of flight searches.

The foundation is not solid.

Enjoy the ride but don't take it like a rollercoaster

You touch on an unfortunately common sentiment - we are all so starved for quality IU basketball that we get our excitement and fun from coaching changes (real or not) instead of competitive games.🙁

Following recruiting & coaching searches is how we can express a degree of optimism & hope for the program.

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

You touch on an unfortunately common sentiment - we are all so starved for quality IU basketball that we get our excitement and fun from coaching changes (real or not) instead of competitive games.🙁

Following recruiting & coaching searches is how we can express a degree of optimism & hope for the program.

Sadly there is a lot of truth to this

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

The only time I remember a coach taking another job before there season ended was Bill Freider at Michigan. Their AD said see ya because he wanted a Michigan man coaching Michigan. They ended up winning the championship that year.

1 hour ago, HoosierFaithful said:

Just like every time, if a coaching search happens, most of the innuendo here and elsewhere is made up BS.  People might even think they're passing along something real, but it is tea leaves built on top of tea leaves built on top of twitter likes built on top of flight searches.

The foundation is not solid.

Enjoy the ride but don't take it like a rollercoaster

Amen. 

I recall reading in one of Coach Knights book what he wanted in his players and when we hired Woodson I thought we were getting someone the valued these things just as much but I think i was wrong. He may value them but maybe doesn't know how to make men into this mold. not sure but here is what Coach Knight said he wanted in every jersey that said Indiana on the front. What it meant to Big Ten, the college basketball world and the people in the state of Indiana

Inside that jersey was a kid that would compete like hell and represent his school on and off the court, during his college years and after in a way that would make the most important judges of all , his parents, proud. If you can do that and win thats success.

Currently we have neither. 

• Like 3

Ihave feeling guys like Trilly just likes to troll our fan base. They know we are gullible and want any kind of info we can get. He probably puts this out there and watch our fan base and probably laughs his head off to our reaction. It is just like when people said they saw Donovan in Bloomington and we're following vehicles thinking it was him.

Also if this is true why hasn't any actual basketball media outlets reported any of this.