Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

10 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

I guess there is an unconfirmed rumor of donors pulling back funds. Any clue? I need my daily dose of IU drama

sounds like it is the case for some big donors, but a couple are trying to give Woodson a chance by throwing a lot of money to the portal.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BGleas said:

This blame the fans narrative is annoying me more and more. 

It's like a doctor treating the symptoms but not addressing how you can prevent the disease. 

If the administration wasn't a complete 🤡 show and totally unserious about the basketball program, then the fans wouldn't be an issue whatsoever. 

The one constant this program has had for 25 years is fan support that has mostly exceeded the product. The fans need to abandon the program so it can become DePaul or Georgetown. That will make them all happy 

Edited by 13th&Jackson
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

Fix the issues. Return to the powerhouse Blue Blood you once were and the noise goes away. Take accountability instead of passing blame on folks that support you from afar and have zero input on daily task.

Thats what losers do. Sit around and whine about how others are cheating or are to blame instead of identifying the problem and figuring out how to fix it.

You cant simply show up in stripes with a ball and think the brand will magically carry you. You have to work for it. Through the noise. Facing adversity. Or, take the easy way out and find someone else to blame your troubles on.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

Did this go over my head but do we know what transfer recruit he was referring to? Ledlum? Knecht?

In the comments in the youtube video, a guy from Connecticut said they heard the story and that the player was Cam Spencer.

• Thanks 1

I love the whole I am not going to answer any questions about recruiting or my job security. Like ok I guess what questions will you answer then? Not exactly a good look. I guess we as paying patrons will just have to sit and suffer through another horrible year. I mean really not one recruit from 2024 not one. That's not the makings of a good program! Who's to say that you'll land any 2025 recruits. Apparently what you are trying to sell isn't working. I just hope that I am eating crow in 12 months but I highly doubt it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ButlerHoosier said:

I love the whole I am not going to answer any questions about recruiting or my job security. Like ok I guess what questions will you answer then? Not exactly a good look. I guess we as paying patrons will just have to sit and suffer through another horrible year. I mean really not one recruit from 2024 not one. That's not the makings of a good program! Who's to say that you'll land any 2025 recruits. Apparently what you are trying to sell isn't working. I just hope that I am eating crow in 12 months but I highly doubt it.

Don’t know how anyone can defend 0-32 on 2024 offers. Clearly no one’s buying what they’re selling and/or the recruiting approach is completely broken. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, BGleas said:

It's like a doctor treating the symptoms but not addressing how you can prevent the disease. 

If the administration wasn't a complete 🤡 show and totally unserious about the basketball program, then the fans wouldn't be an issue whatsoever. 

If Woodson is here next year I pray that this program gets the support they deserve so it looks more like what they supposedly want.  Take the percentage of fans in the stands at Memorial Stadium on Saturdays and the activity you see discussing IU football and give them a year of that positive but minimal support in basketball.

Most of the team is going to be a bunch of paid mercenaries who I have zero attachment to, the staff sucks, and the administration is full of incompetent finger pointers who abuse their customers.  I hope Assembly Hall looks like Maryland's home court advantage this past year and everybody can get what they want.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

If Woodson is here next year I pray that this program gets the support they deserve so it looks more like what they supposedly want.  Take the percentage of fans in the stands at Memorial Stadium on Saturdays and the activity you see discussing IU football and give them a year of that positive but minimal support in basketball.

Most of the team is going to be a bunch of paid mercenaries who I have zero attachment to, the staff sucks, and the administration is full of incompetent finger pointers who abuse their customers.  I hope Assembly Hall looks like Maryland's home court advantage this past year and everybody can get what they want.

Completely agree. Can't remember, but I think you've been one who has said this before, but the fans are one of the only things (maybe the recruiting budget too) about Indiana Basketball that keeps it elite and relevant. 

With the results IU has had the last 20 years, how many other programs in the country would still be top 10 in attendance, top followed programs on social media, have a player like Gabe Cupps being a leader in NIL apparel sales, etc. 

To your point, maybe the fans should go away for a year.  

• Like 4

12 hours ago, BGleas said:

The Assembly Call response has been weird to see. They were fully supportive of Archie, defiantly so, right up until that losing streak to close out his fourth and final year. Hell, Jerod still cheers for Virginia to this day, just because we hired a coach who ran the pack line and Tony Bennett was having success with that system at the time.

Conversely, they turned on Woodson quickly. I had chalked it up to the compounding effects of doing a postgame show immediately after each and every loss. That shit adds up, and clearly does things to your brain. But maybe it's also because they are hearing stories like this one? Odd that they've never mentioned hinted at these reasons before. And surely there were hearing some not great stories about Archie behind the scenes too. 

I don't know, but something's been off about the Assembly Call product this season. There's something gatekeepy and populist in their tone that has me turning away. Maybe that's just because losing seasons are no fun for anyone, but maybe some of you have heard a change, too.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I know you have to keep in contact but to me it sad that you still have to coddle recruits after they sign with your school.

Of course you have to keep in contact. Liam was going to be on your roster next season, spending time with you every day. Of course you needed to keep a relationship going. A commitment should always be just the start of that relationship, not the end of it.

That said, this is all granting the premise of the conversation. We don't know if Woodson dropped communication or not. Lots of good basketball minds have pointed out that IU needed McNeeley a lot more than McNeeley needed IU and the system we run. The decommitment could be for purely basketball reasons. I think there's potentially a lot of confirmation bias in the internet rumors we choose to believe at times like these.

• Like 1

HA! A truly amazing take, from the guy who's first column after parachuting in to Indianapolis was to call for Tom Crean to be fired. 

• Like 4

Completely agree. Blaming the fans is a cop out because all fanbases are the exact same, it’s just we have more fans than most. Plus, if recruits are being turned off because of fans, to me that’s on them because all fanbases would be exactly like us if they were in the same situation. UK is always awful, even when they win. 

Tired of the fan narrative because if you put a good product on the floor, we will support you no matter what. Down years happen to all good coaches, but those coaches have built successful programs where they are afforded down years. 

Give us a good product, whether it be wins or showing a good direction, we will support you non-stop. Give us a bad product, fans have every right to have their voices heard. 

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Completely agree. Can't remember, but I think you've been one who has said this before, but the fans are one of the only things (maybe the recruiting budget too) about Indiana Basketball that keeps it elite and relevant. 

With the results IU has had the last 20 years, how many other programs in the country would still be top 10 in attendance, top followed programs on social media, have a player like Gabe Cupps being a leader in NIL apparel sales, etc. 

To your point, maybe the fans should go away for a year.  

Yes I have said that but I think a bunch of people have.  When you line up the advantages of Indiana that are discussed whenever that job opens up, the only advantage I can think of that isn't related to fan support is the fact that Indiana churns out quite a bit of D1 talent (as does the immediate area) for a coach to mine.  Almost everything else of any consequence is the fans.  Their actual support, NIL, financial backing of the program itself, media presence which helps boost NIL, program getting on TV in big games....you can go down the line and the only reason Indiana isn't getting treated like Minnesota is fan support.

We would rarely sniff a national game if our fan support matched our record the past 2 decades.  I stopped watching Archie's last year.  You find there are other things to do with the 4 to 6 hours a week.  I am prepared to do that again if they keep Woodson.  Although I will probably extend that to the football team if he sticks around too.  I have attended some games on that side the past few years but I am tired of supporting an AD that doesn't treat its fans well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Maedhros said:

The Assembly Call response has been weird to see. They were fully supportive of Archie, defiantly so, right up until that losing streak to close out his fourth and final year. Hell, Jerod still cheers for Virginia to this day, just because we hired a coach who ran the pack line and Tony Bennett was having success with that system at the time.

Conversely, they turned on Woodson quickly. I had chalked it up to the compounding effects of doing a postgame show immediately after each and every loss. That shit adds up, and clearly does things to your brain. But maybe it's also because they are hearing stories like this one? Odd that they've never mentioned hinted at these reasons before. And surely there were hearing some not great stories about Archie behind the scenes too. 

I don't know, but something's been off about the Assembly Call product this season. There's something gatekeepy and populist in their tone that has me turning away. Maybe that's just because losing seasons are no fun for anyone, but maybe some of you have heard a change, too.

This season is the first time I started watching Assembly Call on a regular basis and I haven't had any issues with the show. Their reactions after games has struck me as authentic. I enjoy watching them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Yes I have said that but I think a bunch of people have.  When you line up the advantages of Indiana that are discussed whenever that job opens up, the only advantage I can think of that isn't related to fan support is the fact that Indiana churns out quite a bit of D1 talent (as does the immediate area) for a coach to mine.  Almost everything else of any consequence is the fans.  Their actual support, NIL, financial backing of the program itself, media presence which helps boost NIL, program getting on TV in big games....you can go down the line and the only reason Indiana isn't getting treated like Minnesota is fan support.

We would rarely sniff a national game if our fan support matched our record the past 2 decades.  I stopped watching Archie's last year.  You find there are other things to do with the 4 to 6 hours a week.  I am prepared to do that again if they keep Woodson.  Although I will probably extend that to the football team if he sticks around too.  I have attended some games on that side the past few years but I am tired of supporting an AD that doesn't treat its fans well.

Why would you not watch the football team because you are unhappy with the basketball program. Majority of our sports programs have been pretty successful. I guess I don't see the reason to stop rooting for the other programs

• Like 2

I know these things have been discussed here before, but there are too many pages to search through. Does anyone know how much money we save by firing Woodson in a year rather than this coming week? Does anyone know how much it would cost to buy our Pearl and/or May today vs. a year from now?

Would you rather have Pearl with limited money, or Woodson plus 10 million dollars to spread around? There's certainly an argument to be made that the money would put us in a better spot to have a competitive roster next year, bring in a new coach a year from now, and have a better roster in place for the new guy - plus more money for the new guy to build with.

1 minute ago, HoosierDom said:

I know these things have been discussed here before, but there are too many pages to search through. Does anyone know how much money we save by firing Woodson in a year rather than this coming week? Does anyone know how much it would cost to buy our Pearl and/or May today vs. a year from now?

Would you rather have Pearl with limited money, or Woodson plus 10 million dollars to spread around? There's certainly an argument to be made that the money would put us in a better spot to have a competitive roster next year, bring in a new coach a year from now, and have a better roster in place for the new guy - plus more money for the new guy to build with.

Osterman had a n article stating the buyout for Woodson would be 1 mil a year for 12 years