Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

3 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

My comment was nothing to do with Leal. I’ve been wondering for two years why he doesn’t get minutes.
As for Tamar, his team is really bad defensively and their PG (Honor) takes way too many shots without facilitating. He’s also playing out of position at small forward. 

My main point is, guys like Gunn can still develop into a solid upperclassman contributor. To write him off as a mid major player at this stage in his career is perhaps premature. 

I think he just is a midmajor player, like most that Archie recruited, I am not trying to take digs at him, but there needs to be a level of honesty here. 

Bates HEAVILY outplayed Gunn during their first two years in college, as well. 

Agree.. never right kids off. I'd be fine with Banks coming back, playing the 4, NOT the 3. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I think he just is a midmajor player, like most that Archie recruited, I am not trying to take digs at him, but there needs to be a level of honesty here. 

Bates HEAVILY outplayed Gunn during their first two years in college, as well. 

Agree.. never right kids off. I'd be fine with Banks coming back, playing the 4, NOT the 3. 

I think both Leal and Gunn are Midmajor players.  But i agree at this point, Leal brings more to the table for IU than Gunn does.  The fact that we're counting on Leal to bring first off the bench or even starter level minutes says alot about where our program is

Edited by IowaHoosierFan

This Leal Gunn discussion is interesting.  Many on this site asked for more Leal minutes several times in early season.  I don’t want to get into the “athletic” label because some people use it with a bias toward physical traits imo.  But, Leal clearly should have been utilized more by cmw all season, because AL shows a high bball IQ  more than anyone on the team.    He quickly knows what to do, where to be, gets there and performs.  His fundamentals are top notch.  I like his energy, positivity, leadership and unlike XJ, MR, MM et al, rarely wastes time pounding his chest or engaging with refs.  His game-saving plays were not flukes, imo, but resulted from being in the right spot.  I will enjoy him again next year.  

• Like 7

Just now, John S said:

This Leal Gunn discussion is interesting.  Many on this site asked for more Leal minutes several times in early season.  I don’t want to get into the “athletic” label because some people use it with a bias toward physical traits imo.  But, Leal clearly should have been utilized more by cmw all season, because AL shows a high bball IQ  more than anyone on the team.    He quickly knows what to do, where to be, gets there and performs.  His fundamentals are top notch.  I like his energy, positivity, leadership and unlike XJ, MR, MM et al, rarely wastes time pounding his chest or engaging with refs.  His game-saving plays were not flukes, imo, but resulted from being in the right spot.  I will enjoy him again next year.  

I hope we have enough talent in front of him that we don't need to use him.  If not, we won't be much better.

• Like 1

Gunn can’t create shots for himself.  That’s one of the reasons he isn’t very good.   Leal was always the better option over Gunn.  Everyone can see that.  Moves like that killed them with the metrics.  

The staff doesn’t understand analytics and the NET.  Remember Woody being befuddled by the questions, defending himself by talking about W’s and L’s (as if a narrow margin at home against West Point was fine since they won)?   I’m urging Scott to bring in a head of analytics and lead on this.  This isn’t the NBA where your record is exclusively tied to your seeding.  

Gunn can be solid wherever he goes next year if he gets it together with his makeup.  He didn’t develop here but he also never had a good approach.   

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

People were making similar comments about Tamar Bates last year and all he did was go to Mizzou and average 14pts while shooting 50% from the floor, 39% from beyond the arc. Not to mention, 93% from the line. Not everyone is going to round into form as an underclassmen

We need better player development and management to get more out of these guys.  I will be shocked if we don’t get at least one new assistant and overhaul our basketball infrastructure.  It looks unwieldy and inept.  I don’t think Scott is going to let that stand.  It’s one thing he can control.  

• Like 1

So... it struck me as I was reading Michigan's statement on letting Howard go.  I inserted Woodson and Hoosier for Howard and Wolverines.  I wish we weren't waiting another crappy year to hear this, but this is what we have to look forward to:

"After a comprehensive review of the program, I have decided that Mike will not return as our men's basketball coach," Dolson said in a statement released Friday. "Mike is among the greatest Hoosiers to ever be associated with our basketball program. I know how much it meant, to not only Mike, but to all of us for him to return here to lead this program. Despite his love of his alma mater and the positive experience that our student-athletes had under his leadership, it was clear to me that the program was not living up to our expectations and not trending in the right direction.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

So... it struck me as I was reading Michigan's statement on letting Howard go.  I inserted Woodson and Hoosier for Howard and Wolverines.  I wish we weren't waiting another crappy year to hear this, but this is what we have to look forward to:

"After a comprehensive review of the program, I have decided that Mike will not return as our men's basketball coach," Dolson said in a statement released Friday. "Mike is among the greatest Hoosiers to ever be associated with our basketball program. I know how much it meant, to not only Mike, but to all of us for him to return here to lead this program. Despite his love of his alma mater and the positive experience that our student-athletes had under his leadership, it was clear to me that the program was not living up to our expectations and not trending in the right direction.

You would probably love BTB because some of them are still delusional thinking we will still make a change. There Fire Mike Woodson thread is up to 790 pages the last time I checked. I still lurk but stopped posting there because it is getting as bad as Peeg's got.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You would probably love BTB because some of them are still delusional thinking we will still make a change. There Fire Mike Woodson thread is up to 790 pages the last time I checked. I still lurk but stopped posting there because it is getting as bad as Peeg's got.

i will admit i am delusional as well.  i'm still holding out hope that that announcement came out to calm all of the media chaos.  still hoping Woodson will get fed up and hang it up or wiser heads will prevail when the season ends and we do ask him to site health reasons.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

BTW - does this mean you're coming around to my obsession with you?  I've been thinking about you a lot.  

• Haha 3