Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

3 hours ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

Time for Kentucky fans to start a “Fire Coach Calipari “ thread…going out early again. This time to powerhouse #14 seed Oakland University. So much talent going to waste! 

His 4th tournament loss in last 5 tries makes me smile.  Cheaters eventually get their due.  Overpaid and overrated.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MrsStoller said:

Yeah, I knew IU turned it down, pretty much right after the loss in the B1G tournament. We would have been in the NIT where there are teams actually continuing to play and work towards a goal. Oh whatever. Gotta make sure we work in the portal. If that isn’t a sign of leadership dysfunction. But anyway, I repeat myself.

Still celebrating Kentucky’s loss! 🥳

The situation with Woodson set aside, I take no issue with skipping the NIT. We started out with ten returning players:

• three already transferred,
  • one is surely going pro,
  • one is on a medical redshirt
  • your two senior guards are both injured.

I like having Indiana games, and would have tuned in to watch, but I don't think there was much to be gained by having Cupps, Reneau, and Mgbako as the only guys building for next season.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Common Sense said:

This is the bad part of being an IU fan.  Years 1 and 2 weren't that great and year 3 was atrocious.  Unless he hits a home run in the portal and he changes his system, year 4 will be worse.  He has had the same offense and defense for 3 years and it sucked then and it will suck in the future.  He is lazy, stubborn and a 66 year old in a 90 year olds body.  Who cares what he wants.   One of his buddies or his wife needs  to tell him that he sucks and be a grandpa and enjoy his multi million dollars his below average behind got from IU.   

Also, nobody cares what he did in 1980.  44 years ago....

Whats kinda funny is... everyone does give a damn what he did 44 years ago. IU's history is what we are leaning on, and the reason why we demand excellence.

Edited by ledies22
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

Unfortunately, the recruits are still buying into it.

i can't decide what i want here.  would love to see Slimey Calamari shamefully sent out, but i've never been convinced that he is a very good coach other than the ability to get major talent.  would a new guy do a better job?  maybe better for us if they keep him? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

Unfortunately, the recruits are still buying into it.

Because it’s in their interests. As Jay Wright said, KY’s freshmen will be better pros than college players as they mature. 
There were seven NBA all stars this year from KY

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maedhros said:

The situation with Woodson set aside, I take no issue with skipping the NIT. We started out with ten returning players:

I like having Indiana games, and would have tuned in to watch, but I don't think there was much to be gained by having Cupps, Reneau, and Mgbako as the only guys building for next season.

sadly i think you're right, but it still annoys me.  we are far from the only team turning it down.  seems to be the new thing like players skipping college football bowl games.  hate both things.  why not wait to open either portal until each team's season is completely finished?  also not let coaches talk with other schools until that time?  i mean in theory we could have played with Cupps, Leal, Galloway, Taco, Reneau, Sparks, and walk ons right?  possibly Ware?  i just like having IU bball to watch.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Because it’s in their interests. As Jay Wright said, KY’s freshmen will be better pros than college players as they mature. 

Yep. Except none of them "were from Kentucky." Just hired guns who don't give a crap.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

7 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I didn’t say they aren’t talented, just wasted at the college level. If they’re good enough, they’ll get to the NBA regardless of where they play. They don’t have to play for Kentucky to get there.

2 minutes ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

I didn’t say they aren’t talented, just wasted at the college level. If they’re good enough, they’ll get to the NBA regardless of where they play. They don’t have to play for Kentucky to get there.

No, but the pipeline for them is obvious. Hard to argue with their history of players being drafted after one year

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sea Turtle said:

When it comes to the basketball program, the entire university and athletics department is dysfunctional. 

I really wish Dolson would resign in protest. But then again, his entire resume was 'im the next guy up'. 

Yes, dysfunctional in this sport of basketball. Plenty of function in football (change made), and a myriad of other sports. This particular sport of bball is currently essentially being run by donors with large caches of cash - if it wasn’t, I believe 100% a change would have been made, the donor cash wouldn’t have mattered. But it does, so here we are.

I thought about if I was in his position, would I resign out of principle, and I’m not sure tbh. This is the only sport I can see that has these dysfunctional issues, and he’s doing things behind the scenes we’re not aware of, so I’m not sure. But if it had been me, I’d like to think I would have entertained the thought even if I ultimately decided it was worth it to stay and try to make the right decision the next time.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Maedhros said:

You may be right about this, I’m not necessarily disagreeing, but it is indicative of a dysfunctional program that IU finds itself in this situation. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Common Sense said:

This is the bad part of being an IU fan.  Years 1 and 2 weren't that great and year 3 was atrocious.  Unless he hits a home run in the portal and he changes his system, year 4 will be worse.  He has had the same offense and defense for 3 years and it sucked then and it will suck in the future.  He is lazy, stubborn and a 66 year old in a 90 year olds body.  Who cares what he wants.   One of his buddies or his wife needs  to tell him that he sucks and be a grandpa and enjoy his multi million dollars his below average behind got from IU.   

Also, nobody cares what he did in 1980.  44 years ago....

Agreed whole heartedly. I just think with the booster support he has it will be impossible to sell him being fired no matter how bad it gets or how bad he tears the program down. You can’t continue to build a team year after year with no hs players coming in. I’m baffled the money boosters behind this support don’t see how terrible this philosophy is for IUBB long term. Woodson is simply old, lazy, and arrogant. He doesn’t think he needs to put the work in because he has assistants for that and because he’s Mike Woodson 🙄 I hope when he finally does leave there’s a coach in waiting that’s worth a damn to come fix this mess he’s going to leave us with. But my faith in our admin to finally make the right hire is a 0 at this point. 

8 hours ago, John S said:

His 4th tournament loss in last 5 tries makes me smile.  Cheaters eventually get their due.  Overpaid and overrated.  

When you’re good at being a used car salesman but bad at X’s and O’s the new way of doing things really exposes you as a coach. The only way he will have future success is if he legit brings in an offensive coordinator type assistant coach and lets them strictly implement the plays.

• Like 3

I know we’ve all been keeping a close eye on a certain coach down in Florida as the heir replacement…but I’m going to go out on a limb and say there is another we should be keeping a close eye on. Todd Golden…watched a lot of Florida games this year and the growth they have taken is note worthy. Nothing is happening this year regardless but another successful season and I’d be willing to move him up pretty high on my coaching search list next year. Just a name I think deserving watching.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I know we’ve all been keeping a close eye on a certain coach down in Florida as the heir replacement…but I’m going to go out on a limb and say there is another we should be keeping a close eye on. Todd Golden…watched a lot of Florida games this year and the growth they have taken is note worthy. Nothing is happening this year regardless but another successful season and I’d be willing to move him up pretty high on my coaching search list next year. Just a name I think deserving watching.

I agree. He is definitely one to keep an eye on. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Magic really coming off May quickly. Ugly ugly game they’ve played. Might be premature to “Knight” him just yet. They’ve had a pretty disappointing season this year when returning all their starters from a final four team.

Edited by dgambill

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Starting to see why he is so bitter. Not just he thinks he didn’t get a fair shot at being the coach but he is mad he hasn’t had a shrine erected to him outside assembly hall for that UNC win.

woodson didnt know a recruits name and he started calling Galloway, Gallo because he couldnt remember his name.  So i'm told.

• Like 2

Just now, Indykev said:

woodson didnt know a recruits name and he started calling Galloway, Gallo because he couldnt remember his name.  So i'm told.

Oh i understand all that…just saying Dan still thinks he hasn’t gotten his 20 mins of fame.