Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

6 hours ago, Indykev said:

YEAH HE is going no where

Most folks think if you’re lacking throw money at it. Meanwhile coaches at small town universities create a real fundamental foundation and get a leg up by actually developing players and evolving the strengths of their program.

When the money runs out or there is a lapse in talent, your weakness gets exposed and your back to dumpster fire.

Imagine IU spending loads of money buying as much talent as possible to try and win the national championship they gave away when firing a guy over phone calls and weed.

Money pouring in at IU is nothing new. But a coach like Teri Moren needs very little in comparison to sustain a competitive edge. She has a culture and program established.

Maybe they could just pay the fans some name image likeness funds to not boo Woodson out of town.

• Like 5

Looking at the portal guys TDH is reporting we're known to have contacted already. Not saying an individual or two couldn't really blow up here, but the list of programs isn't particularly impressive as a whole - Canisius, Furman, Penn, Drexel. Some bigger programs in the guys to keep an eye on section, but -while early - color me non-plussed. Looks like the downward spiral will continue. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, D-BONE said:

Looking at the portal guys TDH is reporting we're known to have contacted already. Not saying an individual or two couldn't really blow up here, but the list of programs isn't particularly impressive as a whole - Canisius, Furman, Penn, Drexel. Some bigger programs in the guys to keep an eye on section, but -while early - color me non-plussed. Looks like the downward spiral will continue. 

Players on tournament teams can't enter portal yet

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Fkfootball said:

There is a real easy way to fix that. Fans need to stop showing up and showing support. 

Sadly, that’s really all that’s left. Don’t go to games, don’t subscribe to Peacock, don’t watch other IU games, don’t buy merchandise and don’t support NIL initiatives. When the vision and values of the leadership of a business or organization don’t align with its customers or members, the only real response is to not support it. Find something else to do. The arrogance of the administration, coach and some players is making this easier all the time

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

So, the program trajectory is not going in the right direction after an abysmal season. I know we’re all wondering: why the 4th year? If the chances of turning this thing are low then why not rip off the band-aid? I’m only coming to 2 conclusions. 

1. Some people in power really think Woody is up for the challenge. 

And bear with me….

2. The perception of fairness. I’m wondering if how quickly we got rid of Crean and Sampson came back to bite us. There is somewhat of a coaches fraternity in all sports where they bond over all the BS they have to deal with. In CBB, Izzo and K love to speak out and defend their own. Programs like ours that are, rightly or wrongly, rifling through coaches may be getting that ‘toxic’ reputation within the fraternity. 

With all the high end coaching prospects out there, after Crean we made 2 underwhelming hires in a row. I can’t imagine either were top 3 (possibly top 5) on the AD’s wishlists. This likely means that high end coaches are saying ‘no’ behind the scenes. 

We repeat it daily: we have the tradition, the resources, the money, the national exposure, a recruiting destination, fan support, etc. But if the candidates we go after do not perceive IU as being fair in their expectations, is it realistic to assume that we can lure them away from a competitive program they built? 

This time, I’m wondering if Woody has to fall flat on his face to overcome the perception that we are jumping the gun by firing a head coach….one of our own….once again. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 5

11 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

So, the program trajectory is not going in the right direction after an abysmal season. I know we’re all wondering: why the 4th year? If the chances of turning this thing are low then why not rip off the band-aid? I’m only coming to 2 conclusions. 

And bare with me….

2. The perception of fairness. I’m wondering if how quickly we got rid of Crean and Sampson came back to bite us. There is somewhat of a coaches fraternity in all sports where they bond over all the BS they have to deal with. In CBB, Izzo and K love to speak out and defend their own. Programs like ours that are, rightly or wrongly, rifling through coaches may be getting that ‘toxic’ reputation within that fraternity. 

With all the high end coaching prospects out there, after Crean we made 2 underwhelming hires in a row. I can’t imagine either were top 3 (possibly top 5) on the AD’s wishlists. This likely means that high end coaches are saying ‘no’ behind the scenes. 

We repeat it daily: we have the tradition, the resources, the money, the national exposure, a recruiting destination, fan support, etc. But if the candidates we go after do not perceive IU as being fair in there expectations, is it realistic to assume that we can lure them away from a competitive program they built? 

This time, I’m wondering if Woody has to fall flat on his face to overcome the perception that we are jumping the gun by firing a head coach….one of our own….once again. 

I don’t think the expectations are the issue. I think the administration has targeted the wrong coaches to fulfill those expectations. Be it not wanting to pay what it takes to get an elite coach or internal politics keeping AD’s from hiring who they want (Sampson over Beilein), ect. The issue has been and continues to be the administration and donors flexing for the wrong guys. 

The SEC churns and burns through coaches in football, and nobody blinks an eye about unrealistic expectations……it’s the SEC dag gummit. If expectations are not met, then the coach wasn’t up to that standard. It’s that simple. They have mouth pieces on ESPN that promote and defend their moves. IU doesn’t utilize that type of strategy well.  So the fans and expectations get dumped on.
l

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

And bare with me….

2. The perception of fairness. I’m wondering if how quickly we got rid of Crean and Sampson came back to bite us. There is somewhat of a coaches fraternity in all sports where they bond over all the BS they have to deal with. In CBB, Izzo and K love to speak out and defend their own. Programs like ours that are, rightly or wrongly, rifling through coaches may be getting that ‘toxic’ reputation within the fraternity. 

We repeat it daily: we have the tradition, the resources, the money, the national exposure, a recruiting destination, fan support, etc. But if the candidates we go after do not perceive IU as being fair in their expectations, is it realistic to assume that we can lure them away from a competitive program they built? 

You edited your post, but somehow asking people to take their clothes off before reading further escaped your notice. 🤨

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Tom White said:

Changing because of an UA contract is daydreaming.

Basketball history? Yeah, distant history. Our history over the last three decades stinks.

Recruiting? He seems to be doing better than we are. I think players would play for him wherever he is. He doesn't have to move to get his players.

I still don't see a reason for him to leave Auburn for our mess.

Pearl is in his 60's and has never coached a Blue Blood. He has seen IU Basketball at its best under RMK. I would imagine he sees IU the same way we do, you get the right person in here and with the resources we have, the ceiling is high.

31 minutes ago, Feathery said:

I don’t think the expectations are the issue. I think the administration has targeted the wrong coaches to fulfill those expectations. Be it not wanting to pay what it takes to get an elite coach or internal politics keeping AD’s from hiring who they want (Sampson over Beilein), ect. The issue has been and continues to be the administration and donors flexing for the wrong guys. 

The SEC churns and burns through coaches in football, and nobody blinks an eye about unrealistic expectations……it’s the SEC dag gummit. If expectations are not met, then the coach wasn’t up to that standard. It’s that simple. They have mouth pieces on ESPN that promote and defend their moves. IU doesn’t utilize that type of strategy well.  So the fans and expectations get dumped on.
l

Add to that to say we’ve seen the inability to pivot to a different coach when the hired coach turns out to not be the right fit. If you can be ok w/ your ego not being hurt admitting your choice didn’t turn out to work, whether you’re an institution (group of people) or one person, then it’s easier to pivot imo.

If you can pivot when needed, hire and fire away until you get your Nick Saban.

• Like 4

my number one hope is that we go absolutely insane in the portal.  of course then we have no idea how they will gel and what kind of bball they'll play, but i can at least get excited heading into the season.  i mean this way i can at least keep checking out who is available and hoping we get good ones just like recruiting?  that said, i am super curious if we lose 6?  7?  8?  9?  guys?  if we lose as many as 8 or 9 and he doesn't do a good job even with all this money thrown at trying to save him, maybe there is still a chance even Buckner can't save him?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Inequality said:

Most folks think if you’re lacking throw money at it. Meanwhile coaches at small town universities create a real fundamental foundation and get a leg up by actually developing players and evolving the strengths of their program.

When the money runs out or there is a lapse in talent, your weakness gets exposed and your back to dumpster fire.

Imagine IU spending loads of money buying as much talent as possible to try and win the national championship they gave away when firing a guy over phone calls and weed.

Money pouring in at IU is nothing new. But a coach like Teri Moren needs very little in comparison to sustain a competitive edge. She has a culture and program established.

Maybe they could just pay the fans some name image likeness funds to not boo Woodson out of town.

can you imagine sitting in that crowd last night listening to 3 coaches beg you for NIL money. Cig, we need more money to beat out eastern Mich, Akron and central Mich for the best 3 star players out there. Love Coach Moren but she isnt taking advantage of their run here. she isnt recruiting the Angel Reeses of the world. winning program thats reached its peak. Because of the type of players she recruits. Not going to beat South Carolina unless you start recruiting players that are the same. And then there is Woodson. I need more NIL  money for the 0 recruits we have coming in. laughable.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

my number one hope is that we go absolutely insane in the portal.  of course then we have no idea how they will gel and what kind of bball they'll play, but i can at least get excited heading into the season.  i mean this way i can at least keep checking out who is available and hoping we get good ones just like recruiting?  that said, i am super curious if we lose 6?  7?  8?  9?  guys?  if we lose as many as 8 or 9 and he doesn't do a good job even with all this money thrown at trying to save him, maybe there is still a chance even Buckner can't save him?

I have the same hope plus one of two more

1. That Dolson has told CMW  BigTen championship and/or Final 4 is your bar. Anything less an you're out.

Or

2. That CMW/Buckner have an agreement with Dolson that CMW will announce his retirement at the start of the season and use it as a "last hurrah" 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

Have no idea where to post this but I would think this is a positive sign of Mac returning? 

Awkward to host a camp in April if you’ve transferred out lol 

BC1E69D7-374B-49A2-9C84-6107F84287A8.png

Not saying that this was the entire reason Liam transferred, but I'm sure it was a factor. 

MM potentially coming back is a good thing though. A sophomore MM is probably better than a Freshman McNeely.

...BUT even better would've been MM at the 4 and McNeely at the 3 (who cares about rebounds). lol. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Not saying that this was the entire reason Liam transferred, but I'm sure it was a factor. 

MM potentially coming back is a good thing though. A sophomore MM is probably better than a Freshman McNeely.

...BUT even better would've been MM at the 4 and McNeely at the 3 (who cares about rebounds). lol. 

Yeah, the last sentence is spot on. MM at his natural position and then we would’ve had two outside threats. I think MM could be a solid rebounder at the 4, the issue would be Malik isn’t a good rebounder and he’d be pushed to the 5. Not sure any of that matters too much since we were a bad rebounding team this year despite having Ware, who was great.

I actually think McNeely is probably a better wing than MM next year, but MM is the better player if he’s playing the 4.

• Like 1

If the administration and boosters truly are not about making what’s obviously the right changes then yes it IS up to the fans to take back their program. If enough come together they could force change.

And I realize that’s painful and I realize we’ll catch flack as a fanbase for “abandoning our players.” We have to do SOMETHING to get the attention to force change and get our program back. We need a vocal leader like an Evan’s or group of former players to start a social media campaign to make a BOLD statement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoosierdave said:

Have no idea where to post this but I would think this is a positive sign of Mac returning? 

Is it a bad sign that one of the sponsors is called Next Move?

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

58 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

still would be very surprised to see Mtaco a Hoosier next season.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hoosierdave said:

To be fair they've advertised this camp for AWHILE....buuuut-- I agree with you. 

• Like 1