Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

40 minutes ago, madmax said:

Though Dolson and BoT disagree about it happening now, consensus was that this isn't the bridge hire they'd hoped for and this is his last year barring some miracle B1G championship or FF run next year that would make for bad optics.

If this is true. Again big ‘if’…especially if it’s coming from BTB…..

Then whyyyyyyyy? If they think it’s very unlikely for woody to perform up to the near impossible standards that they set, then why delay the inevitable? It can’t be the money. 

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, madmax said:

This is from another boards insider. Take it however you want-I’m not saying it’s true or accurate.

First thing's first, congrats to the IU women on the 4-seed and hosting opportunity. Tough draw, but they call it madness for a reason. Secondly, love you guys and this community, but goodness you're not shy about using the private message feature. Sorry for ghosting many of you but easier to just post publicly.

And, now that I've effectively buried the lead, Woodson is back next year with a couple caveats and interesting details:

- Meeting Tuesday happened as scheduled and talk was future of the basketball program and specifically how Woody fits in that plan

- Though Dolson and BoT disagree about it happening now, consensus was that this isn't the bridge hire they'd hoped for and this is his last year barring some miracle B1G championship or FF run next year that would make for bad optics.

- Woodson was given the opportunity to retire and go out amicably but said no and that he thinks he can use the portal to put us in a better position to transition to another coach after next year.

- Dolson laid out expectations for portal results and win/loss results next season that would result in letting Woody go; just my opinion but it sounds like Buckner, boosters, etc. got him the 4th year but Scotty Dolson has his finger on the eject button and Woodson knows it. Fully expect him to announce a "planned retirement" next year so he can go out on his "own terms"

- For what it's worth, Dolson did put out feelers and got positive feedback on interest from 2 of his top 3 potential replacement candidates; think we can get May with a text message, Pearl has serious interest but wouldn't make a move if his team makes a FF run or wins a natty. 

- I think we as a fanbase/board are higher on Dusty than the administration/BoT; sounds like they're only interested in a homerun hire, win now guy if they do move and risking a third straight miss isn't something they're willing to do and just because he has IU ties and made a good tourney run, feeling is May isn't a guarantee at this level.

That's what I've got that I'm able to share comfortably right now. Not what myself or anybody on this board probably wants to hear. Moral is one more year is 95% likely (everyone root for UCONN in the S16, and a miracle!) It's kind of messy internally and they're trying to move on to get IU back to a top tier program while letting Woodson ride into the sunset having left the program in a good place and "stepping aside" for the good of the program. ??

This is all pretty spot on from what’s been circulating. Yeagley knows what he’s talking about. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

4 hours ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

Meanwhile ... Kelvin Sampson has a 1 seed and he is in the "Hall of fame" conversation based on the announcers in yesterday's Big12 championship. :coffee:

I wasn't happy with the hire at the time because we were still fresh off RMK. 

In retrospect Major f up. He was a diversity hire IU wanted but also a great coach. I only believe less than half the stories about culture.  It hasn't been a story anywhere else he's been. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, madmax said:

This is from another boards insider. Take it however you want-I’m not saying it’s true or accurate.

First thing's first, congrats to the IU women on the 4-seed and hosting opportunity. Tough draw, but they call it madness for a reason. Secondly, love you guys and this community, but goodness you're not shy about using the private message feature. Sorry for ghosting many of you but easier to just post publicly.

And, now that I've effectively buried the lead, Woodson is back next year with a couple caveats and interesting details:

- Meeting Tuesday happened as scheduled and talk was future of the basketball program and specifically how Woody fits in that plan

- Though Dolson and BoT disagree about it happening now, consensus was that this isn't the bridge hire they'd hoped for and this is his last year barring some miracle B1G championship or FF run next year that would make for bad optics.

- Woodson was given the opportunity to retire and go out amicably but said no and that he thinks he can use the portal to put us in a better position to transition to another coach after next year.

- Dolson laid out expectations for portal results and win/loss results next season that would result in letting Woody go; just my opinion but it sounds like Buckner, boosters, etc. got him the 4th year but Scotty Dolson has his finger on the eject button and Woodson knows it. Fully expect him to announce a "planned retirement" next year so he can go out on his "own terms"

- For what it's worth, Dolson did put out feelers and got positive feedback on interest from 2 of his top 3 potential replacement candidates; think we can get May with a text message, Pearl has serious interest but wouldn't make a move if his team makes a FF run or wins a natty. 

- I think we as a fanbase/board are higher on Dusty than the administration/BoT; sounds like they're only interested in a homerun hire, win now guy if they do move and risking a third straight miss isn't something they're willing to do and just because he has IU ties and made a good tourney run, feeling is May isn't a guarantee at this level.

That's what I've got that I'm able to share comfortably right now. Not what myself or anybody on this board probably wants to hear. Moral is one more year is 95% likely (everyone root for UCONN in the S16, and a miracle!) It's kind of messy internally and they're trying to move on to get IU back to a top tier program while letting Woodson ride into the sunset having left the program in a good place and "stepping aside" for the good of the program. ??

If he is a deadman walking. why would he put in any time in the portal or give a rats behind how many wins or loses. lost me with saying that.

8 hours ago, madmax said:

That's ridiculous. But a good indictment of why we haven't seen the Elite 8 in over 20 years.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, madmax said:

-High school recruiting will suffer with any hint that a coach is gone next season.

-A better staff could bring in and assemble a better team and build a foundation sooner rather than later. (Leave the program in a better position)

-If it’s Pearl you seek of your top three and he wants it, why wait? He could build now plus he's not getting any younger. The opportunity might not be the same a year from now.

None of it makes sense.

Im not buying whats being served on that site.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, dgambill said:

Pearl was just before his time…his antics and discretions were made for this new age of college basketball. Heck Harbaugh and UM just won a NC and those two are basically blood brothers when it comes to personalities and actions.

IU went that route. His name was Kelvin. It didn't work out so well if I remember correctly. And I don't blame Sampson - I never much liked him, but he was tossed aside for the stupidest of reasons.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Officer Obie said:

IU went that route. His name was Kelvin. It didn't work out so well if I remember correctly. And I don't blame Sampson - I never much liked him, but he was tossed aside for the stupidest of reasons.

The rules have changed quite considerably.  Almost nothing Pearl has ever been accused of is illegal now.

And who is the elite P5 coach they think they'll be able to land next season?  I just can't think of any.  Oats isn't happening. Nor is Beard.  Drew will either be at UL or sign a massive extension with Baylor.  It's now or never IU.  Throw Pearl the contract you offered Stevens last time.

For anyone that wants a change to be made this year needs a few things to happen. Ware, Reneau, and Mgbako all need to leave, IU needs to struggle with gaining traction in the portal, and Auburn needs to lose before the in the first half of the tournament. Even then it's a slim chance but that could give Dolson some more ammunition. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

The rules have changed quite considerably.  Almost nothing Pearl has ever been accused of is illegal now.

And who is the elite P5 coach they think they'll be able to land next season?  I just can't think of any.  Oats isn't happening. Nor is Beard.  Drew will either be at UL or sign a massive extension with Baylor.  It's now or never IU.  Throw Pearl the contract you offered Stevens last time.

I want a coach in his mid fifties, has crazy ideas, his best friend is an alcoholic and his girlfriend is a college drop-out. Norman Dale, where are you?!! 😀

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Officer Obie said:

I want a coach in his mid fifties, has crazy ideas, his best friend is an alcoholic and his girlfriend is a college drop-out. Norman Dale, where are you?!! 😀

No thanks, he was garbage until Jimmy decided it was time to play ball.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

55 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

For anyone that wants a change to be made this year needs a few things to happen. Ware, Reneau, and Mgbako all need to leave, IU needs to struggle with gaining traction in the portal, and Auburn needs to lose before the in the first half of the tournament. Even then it's a slim chance but that could give Dolson some more ammunition. 

That's just ridiculous (not directed at you). Let's say Ware and Mgbako both submit their names for the draft and keep their names in until the May 31 withdrawal deadline. Technically they've "left" for six weeks, but could both still return. That's way too late to hire a coach. 

What's "gaining traction in the portal"? Sparks committed in late March, Ware in April and Walker in May. If they get a commitment from a backup forward to replace Walker, is that gaining traction?

7 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

That's just ridiculous (not directed at you). Let's say Ware and Mgbako both submit their names for the draft and keep their names in until the May 31 withdrawal deadline. Technically they've "left" for six weeks, but could both still return. That's way too late to hire a coach. 

What's "gaining traction in the portal"? Sparks committed in late March, Ware in April and Walker in May. If they get a commitment from a backup forward to replace Walker, is that gaining traction?

It's not ridiculous. Dolson is just looking for a reason to make a move. He wants to move on and that hasn't changed. That said it's very unlikely anything happens but if things get out of hand then all bets are off. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

not necessarily true, and it was still illegal then, and he knew it. Cant go back and rewrite history because of new rules. 

With that said, i'd still want Pearl.

• Like 2

Just now, DC2345 said:

It's not ridiculous. Dolson is just looking for a reason to make a move. He wants to move on and that hasn't changed. That said it's very unlikely anything happens but if things get out of hand then all bets are off. 

Just saying that's no way to run a program. Either you're committed to Woodson for another year and provide full support or you pull the plug. Can't still be straddling the fence at this point. Especially after informing the media that he'll be back. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Just saying that's no way to run a program. Either you're committed to Woodson for another year and provide full support or you pull the plug. Can't still be straddling the fence at this point. Especially after informing the media that he'll be back. 

But it is also not a 1 person decision, nor should it be.

Too many chiefs and not enough Indians. If it’s time to move on then move. Delaying when the picture is clear in this case is a continuation of failure.

He has zero high school kids coming in. None. When do you all remember that as being a thing. This isn't the NBA, Mr Woodson. The portal is not the NBA draft as you’re treating it to be. 

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Why have an AD, then? 

The AD is just the puppet for the BOT and the BOT are guided by those who have influence over the funding.

We all know it wasn't the AD at the time that hired Sampson, but the AD took the fall for Sampson's transgressions.

The way I read what is going on, even if Dolson is ready, those who have influence over the funding are not ready to let him, or the BOT, fire Woodson yet. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, IUaic said:

The AD is just the puppet for the BOT and the BOT are guided by those who have influence over the funding.

We all know it wasn't the AD at the time that hired Sampson, but the AD took the fall for Sampson's transgressions.

The way I read what is going on, even if Dolson is ready, those who have influence over the funding are not ready to let him, or the BOT, fire Woodson yet. 

He can pull the trigger whenever he wants.  BOT can't stop him.  But Scott is a yes man as we discussed when he was hired.  Pat Kraft was the man as I said at the time but the administration would never allow that.  They don't want an AD.  They want a 

3 hours ago, Inequality said:

Im not buying whats being served on that site.

I agree. That whole thing is something anyone could simply conjure up, insider or not, and "meeting" actually taking place or not.

Anyone want to say they could not have come up with the same just making it up in their own imagination?