Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

23 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

I’m hoping he sees how far Auburn goes and what Woodson does in the portal. If Woodson doesn’t do anything by time Auburn is out then he gets rid of Woodson and that’s why he hasn’t came out and said anything yet 

I have a hard time understanding why some think Pearl would leave the successful program he has built at Auburn for the mess we now have here. I don't see that happening.

• Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, Tom White said:

I have a hard time understanding why some think Pearl would leave the successful program he has built at Auburn for the mess we now have here. I don't see that happening.

Better NIL, better shoe contract(he hates UA). Basketball history. Facilities are better. He would recruit like a madman at Indiana. 

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

You’re spot on because think about this:

We probably need 7 to 8 new players: 
Returning players most likely:
Newton (injured all year)
Galloway
Leal
Sparks (unfortunately) 
Cupps (maybe)
Mgbako (fingers crossed he comes back)
Reneau (debating accepting our NIL Offer so 50/50)

So at minimum we have 8 open scholarships  

Plus for 2025:

We are guaranteed next year to lose 
Galloway 
Leal
Sparks
Mgbako
And probably Reneau 

and zero 2025 commits. 

let’s say 4 of the 8 new players we get have eligibility remaining in 2025 then after next year we will need 9 new players.

Going to get bad, real bad. Dolson knows it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

You’re spot on because think about this:

We probably need 7 to 8 new players: 
Returning players most likely:
Newton (injured all year)
Galloway
Leal
Sparks (unfortunately) 
Cupps (maybe)
Mgbako (fingers crossed he comes back)
Reneau (debating accepting our NIL Offer so 50/50)

So at minimum we have 8 open scholarships  

Plus for 2025:

We are guaranteed next year to lose 
Galloway 
Leal
Sparks
Mgbako
And probably Reneau 

and zero 2025 commits. 

let’s say 4 of the 8 new players we get have eligibility remaining in 2025 then after next year we will need 9 new players.

Nudge Sparks out unless he’s willing to become a preferred walk - on. Who cares if he’s willing to be 12th or 13th man…he’s taking up NIL and a scholarship that we could allocate elsewhere. He’s simply not a high major player. It’s now or never. 

Edited by Hoosier987
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Victobmyboy said:

Better NIL, better shoe contract(he hates UA). Basketball history. Facilities are better. He would recruit like a madman at Indiana. 

100%. Plus basketball will ALWAYS be a distant second, if not third, priority to Auburn and their fans. (My BIL played baseball there) People were barely engaged for most of the season. They got excited for the SEC tournament,  but if they lose in the sweet 16, most of their fans will forget quickly and move on to spring football practice and baseball. Bruce would embrace the spotlight of being the Indiana head coach the way no coach has since RMK.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tom White said:

For some people they love a state or a program so much that they don’t care what the job is they’ll take it. IMO based on Pearl’s interview he truly feels that way about Indiana. Same with Dusty May

2 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Osterman reported it. If the IU Athletic Department wants info out, that's who they contact.

It doesn’t matter. That didn’t come from the “athletic department” decision makers as advertised. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

For some people they love a state or a program so much that they don’t care what the job is they’ll take it. IMO based on Pearl’s interview he truly feels that way about Indiana. Same with Dusty May

True.  Heck, in 1988 Bob Knight considering leaving IU for New Mexico - just a year after winning his third championship.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hoosier987 said:

Nudge Sparks out unless he’s willing to become a preferred walk - on. Who cares if he’s willing to be 12th or 13th man…he’s taking up NIL and a scholarship that we could allocate elsewhere. He’s simply not a high major player. It’s now or never. 

I wasn't a fan of bringing Sparks in because he has a lot of limitations, but IU isn't in a position to push people out the door.

There's probably 7 or 8 open scholarships to fill once all the dust settles.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hoosier987 said:

We don’t fill all the scholarships as it is and have no one to take his place. He may be starting for us next year so I wouldn’t be so fast to kick him to the curb

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tweet from Hoosier in Texas

Someone needs to fund a study on college message board members having a compulsive need to be program insiders. This is hilarious fan fiction from somebody who clearly relishes in people thinking he knows things. #iubb

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Not sure where to post this, but over on TDH there is a link to an interview with Brian Evans on the current state of IU BBall.

You may, or may not agree with him, but you gotta give the guy credit for speaking his mind as an IU Big 10 player of the year in his time.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, DWB said:

Not sure where to post this, but over on TDH there is a link to an interview with Brian Evans on the current state of IU BBall.

You may, or may not agree with him, but you gotta give the guy credit for speaking his mind as an IU Big 10 player of the year in his time.

Like Cartman from South Park. 'What happened to my school?'

On 3/5/2024 at 2:13 PM, dbmhoosier said:

And yes I was wrong about Dolson.  He's now doing exactly what I said at the time Greenspan should have done when Herbert forced a coach with sanctions over his head on us when he had one of the top 5 coaches in college basketball in Beilein in the bag.  Dolson is killing it.  Pray they get QB out of the way.

10 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

He can pull the trigger whenever he wants.  BOT can't stop him.  But Scott is a yes man as we discussed when he was hired.  Pat Kraft was the man as I said at the time but the administration would never allow that.  They don't want an AD.  They want a 

Are you off your meds?

• Like 1

My son graduated from IU with a major from the Kelly School of Business.  He probably would say that IU made a poor investment for Woodson's service, and the return on his $4 million salary is disappointing when compared to other well known coaches in DI.    The following all were paid between $1.0 million to $1.8 million LESS than Woodson this year: 

1. Chris Collins
  2. Mark Few
  3. Hubert Davis
  4. TJ Otzelberger
  5. Greg McDermott
  6. Shaka Smart

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

55 minutes ago, DWB said:

Hard to disagree with what he said.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, DWB said:

I listened to it and he is spot on. Nothing will come of it but truer words could not be spoken.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

"Despite a disappointing 2023-24 season, Indiana basketball coach Mike Woodson will return next season, an IU athletic department source told IndyStar."

Indiana’s men’s basketball program is retaining head coach Mike Woodson for the 2024-25 season, an IU Athletics spokesperson confirmed to the Indiana Daily Student on Wednesday. The Indianapolis Star first broke the news.

It was all background, but they wouldn't report it if it wasn't a reliable source. No way this happens without Dolson's approval or heads would roll (I'd hope). Note that it was an IU Athletics Dept source.

The athletic source was QB who is acting like he is the AD.

• Like 2

Just finished listening to Brian Evans on JMV. Bravo, Brian! That needs to be sent to the Board of Trustees and played at their next meeting. Aside from the players’ speeches on senior day-I have my own slightly different thoughts, regarding literally everything else, I could not agree more. Thank you, Brian, for giving us “true fans” a voice and speaking it loudly! This bball program & university are being made a mockery by CMW & the boosters ponying up the $$ to buy us a team for next year. This is not the way it should be done, this is not the way to build a strong program, and I am still stunned and clueless as to how grown adult men and women are going along with this. 

As Brian articulated his thoughts, the low points of the season as the season went along, I could feel myself getting more livid. The true fans comment, the hubris (“I’m the coach..”), the leaving the game up in Minneapolis, those last 3 low points are squarely on one person: Mike Woodson.

Done.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

12 hours ago, Victobmyboy said:

Changing because of an UA contract is daydreaming.

Basketball history? Yeah, distant history. Our history over the last three decades stinks.

Recruiting? He seems to be doing better than we are. I think players would play for him wherever he is. He doesn't have to move to get his players.

I still don't see a reason for him to leave Auburn for our mess.