Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

1 minute ago, tdhoosier said:

All that i have to say is IF this works after Howard at Michigan (NBA ties with an all-star staff) works then we may be seeing a shift in college basketball hires.

I'm always a fan of innovative/'out of the box' type thinking. I was skeptical about Michigan coming into the season, but they made it work. This doesn't mean their's is a fail safe plan, but it has worked so far....at least for Howard. The fact that we are imitating it and now EXPANDING on it is very interesting to me, not only as an IU fan, but a fan of CBB. I'm sure AD's across the NCAA are paying close attention.  

Sure, we may fall on our face, but it may also pay off big time. 

Imagine this staff......
Woodson - head coach
Matta (seasoned B1G head coach w/ two final 4 trips) in an administrative role overseeing recruiting and operations
Brown (the only coach in HISTORY to win a NBA and NCAA championship) in a non-traveling role assisting with game planning and player development

...and then a team of seasoned assistants. a combination of Kenya, Lewis, Fife, Cheaney, Roberts etc. 

If we fail at least it won't be for a lack of effort or trying to push the envelope. 

That would be a great staff/team.  I wonder if Lewis, who is getting alot of credit for his work at UCLA would be interested?  One concern could be is that he wanted the job.  Of course, that is just a guess on my part.  But, they would have everything covered - everything.  

1 hour ago, MoyeCowbell said:

- Most Importantly, he's a people person. Connecting with kids and coaches on a One-on-One level is everything. There is absolutely nothing on his resume (or personal record) that suggests that he can't connect with people. In fact, that seems to be an absolute strength.

From each and every interview, press conference I feel a genuine attachment to him.  Its like I knew him forever.  So likable, honest and real.  He has that "it" and its natural.

Edited by Fiveoutofsix
  • Like 8

20 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

From each and every interview, press conference I feel a genuine attachment to him.  Its like I knew him for ever.  So likable, honest and real.  He has that "it" and its natural.

Lord, I simply cannot wait until November...

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, HoosierAlice said:

I would wager that a large number of NBA players (stars) would have made it to the NBA without their one year layover in Lexington, Durham, etc..   The NBA drafts on potential.  UK/Duke gets nearly 5 new starters every year.  Kids leave who are no where near ready.   These players get far more development once they get to the NBA than they receive in college.  I would take the coach who develops the talent and keeps them in the league.

Hey no arguement from me....just curious why they all still end up at Duke, UK, KU, UNC etc. I do think the landscape is starting to change because kids are starting to go to more places like Gonzaga etc so hopefully we can tap into that.

2 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

You could say the same thing about Pat Ewing.  I believe he was on Dakich and said he was baffled about how he was struggling so much with recruiting.  That he hadn't been able to pull a single player out of NYC despite being arguably the most famous Knicks player ever.  Kids in college care about getting to the league.  How many guys you put into the league is what matters not how many you've coached in the league. 

Probably matters that Ewing isn't perceived as much of a coach.  Great player, yes, but very underwhelming as a coach.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

For those worried about recruiting... stop, it’s a waste of time. Woodson can and will use his NBA connections and experience. Woody will likely have some battles trying to win guys over from K, Izzo, Williams, Self etc. However, if getting guys into the league is of concern, then many of your up and comers can’t claim that. Who and how many has Oats, Beard and Muss put in the league? That’s a battle for them too. Now, I’m certainly not taking anything away from their abilities to coach the game, but just stating the fact that recruits don’t always reference how many players you put into the league... otherwise Cal would land the top kids every year. In fact, kids usually don’t have as much say in where they’re going, or at least not as much as what we’d all like to think. I expect Woody to land some top tier kids based on who he knows. What he does with them will directly impact his recruiting after that... just my thoughts. 

Worry is what drives most of the posters on this board. The sky is always falling.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Danomatic said:

For those worried about recruiting... stop, it’s a waste of time. Woodson can and will use his NBA connections and experience. Woody will likely have some battles trying to win guys over from K, Izzo, Williams, Self etc. However, if getting guys into the league is of concern, then many of your up and comers can’t claim that. Who and how many has Oats, Beard and Muss put in the league? That’s a battle for them too. Now, I’m certainly not taking anything away from their abilities to coach the game, but just stating the fact that recruits don’t always reference how many players you put into the league... otherwise Cal would land the top kids every year. In fact, kids usually don’t have as much say in where they’re going, or at least not as much as what we’d all like to think. I expect Woody to land some top tier kids based on who he knows. What he does with them will directly impact his recruiting after that... just my thoughts. 

Great post, Dan. From what I’ve seen of Woody in interviews, I’d imagine recruits—and especially their parents—will be very interested.  I also think we are going to get back to getting kids with the right mindset, who aren’t afraid of being coached hard.  When IU’s culture is right, we may not be the right place for everyone. And to me that’s the right approach.  We need kids who are the right fit.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ephul said:

Exactly. Everyone wants to compare Woody to Penny Hardaway, Patrick Ewing, Juwan Howard, etc.

That's somewhat insulting to the work Woody has put in. He's literally been coaching for decades in the NBA. So when you see idiotic statements from Dan Wolken, Jeff Goodman, and all the national morons comparing him to these guys, just take it with a grain of salt. Woody has DECADES of coaching experience.

It's not even just Woody's experience, which is light years ahead of where those three where when they got hired at their jobs.... Thad Matta and Larry Brown are SIGNIFICANTLY better than anyone those guys have on staff including Phil Martelli. And to be candid, I don't actually know who anyone else is on their staffs and frankly don't need to.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Indykev said:

I met Larry Brown once in my back yard. I lived in Hilton Head Island, SC for 16 years when I worked on the PGA Tour. A golf cart was riding around in my yard so i went out to say i didnt mind if they walked around looking for their ball but keep the cart behind the stakes. It was Larry Brown. He was playing with Jim Boeheim and Jim Calhoun.

HH is one of my favorite places to visit

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Sage is on board...which is always a good thing!

The worst part about hiring a new coach is you have to wait 6 months for Midnight Madness or Hoosier Hysteria, then another couple of months for games to start. 

Patience has never been one of my strengths.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

While i have no idea how hard recruiting can be, it seems this is a good time to be a new HC trying to upgrade a program.  The transfer portal is growing every day, and i just read that Florida and Syracuse players are jumping in.   Why not capture a few experienced quality guys from the portal now and also recruit young guys for the future?   I bet Woody and staff do fine.  

3 minutes ago, Kdug said:

Here's an interesting article from an OSU blog talking about the Woodson hire and comparing OSU football and IU bball. Makes some pretty interesting comparisons. https://www.elevenwarriors.com/college-basketball/2021/03/121964/an-emperors-shadow

Take out the best 30 year window for any program and what are you left with?  Would there be any blue bloods left?  It’s kind of a silly exercise.   The 30 years exist and happened.  Take out the Wooden years. Or Coach K.  Or 1980-2010 for Louisville.   Or 1990 to 2020 for UNC.

IU would still have two titles.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Take out the best 30 year window for any program and what are you left with?  Would there be any blue bloods left?  It’s kind of a silly exercise.   The 30 years exist and happened.  Take out the Wooden years. Or Coach K.  Or 1980-2010 for Louisville.   Or 1990 to 2020 for UNC.

IU would still have two titles.  

100% agree with removing the most successful periods makes any program look bad, but I didn't take that as the main point of the article. The main point that I got from it was that it's hard to replace a legendary coach, but once you get the right coach in place, great programs win regardless of how long it's been. This article talks about OSU football, but Alabama football pre-Saban is also interesting to look at. Plenty of programs have struggled, to varying degrees, to replace legendary coaches for extended periods of times. But when they got the right coach, they got right back to the top of their sport.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Kdug said:

100% agree with removing the most successful periods makes any program look bad, but I didn't take that as the main point of the article. The main point that I got from it was that it's hard to replace a legendary coach, but once you get the right coach in place, great programs win regardless of how long it's been. This article talks about OSU football, but Alabama football pre-Saban is also interesting to look at. Plenty of programs have struggled, to varying degrees, to replace legendary coaches for extended periods of times. But when they got the right coach, they got right back to the top of their sport.

Thanks, I agree.  In the case of IU they made some serious blunders along the lines you see from pro teams with bad ownership.  Unfortunately we help prove the point about replacing a legend. 

Mark Titus was just saying that he believes Matta always had an out in his OSU contract for IU.  

While we do help prove the point, it was needless.  There’s no reason we couldn’t have kept rolling.   

It is water under the bridge at this point.  C’est la vie. 

Edited by BobSaccamanno

37 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Thanks, I agree.  In the case of IU they made some serious blunders along the lines you see from pro teams with bad ownership.  Unfortunately we help prove the point about replacing a legend. 

Mark Titus was just saying that he believes Matta always had an out in his OSU contract for IU.  

While we do help prove the point, it was needless.  There’s no reason we couldn’t have kept rolling.   

It is water under the bridge at this point.  C’est la vie. 

Matta probably did.  But no one bigger than the program again...ever.  I honestly wish the IU coaching blunders the past 20 years were due to pure stupidity.  They aren't.  They're by design. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1