2023 PG Gabe Cupps Commits to Indiana

Just now, rico said:

I wonder who taught James Blackmon, Jr. how to play defense?  Never mind.

Ivey & Blackmon are the outliers 

JB thought defense was following his guy around until he could play offense 

ivey just stood around waiting for a steal or someone else to rebound and give him the ball 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

Ivey & Blackmon are the outliers 

JB thought defense was following his guy around until he could play offense 

ivey just stood around waiting for a steal or someone else to rebound and give him the ball 

JB played at the top of a 1-3-1 in HS... his on the ball defense wasn't atrocious... his off the ball was just smh bad. And refused to block anyone out. 

Edited by btownqb

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

JB played at the top of a 1-3-1 in HS... his on the ball defense wasn't atrocious... his off the ball was just smh bad. And refused to block anyone out. 

Deshawn Thomas is a starting forward on the worst defensive team in my lifetime….Big Ten 

maybe mvp 

Cupps buries his first two jumpshots. He's been all over the court the first 5-6 mins of this game. He looks like Galloway, but elevates when he shoots. 

I'd like to see what his wing span is too. 

Simeon has really taken Centerville out of sorts offensively. 

Cupps has taken two charges in the first half. I like the Powell kid more than I originally thought, as well. First game Centerville has played with a shot clock. Not sure if they play with one in ILL or not. Simeon is LONG. 

watch the 2nd half later. 

41 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Cupps buries his first two jumpshots. He's been all over the court the first 5-6 mins of this game. He looks like Galloway, but elevates when he shoots. 

Cupps has taken two charges in the first half. I like the Powell kid more than I originally thought, as well. First game Centerville has played with a shot clock. Not sure if they play with one in ILL or not. Simeon is LONG. 

ESPN +?

24 & 33 look like players too 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Illinois doesn’t play with a shot clock but some tourneys in Illinois did use them this year. So Simeon possibly did play with one if they were in one of those tourneys… the one down here they did not play in but it made the holiday tournament insanely better.

I watched some of the first half against Simeon last night. I saw Powell hit his first 3 3's but heard he didn't do much the rest of the game

I did notice that GC seems to have a significant wingspan.  That and he wipes the bottom of his shoes a lot - maybe the two are related.?

Edited by Zuckerkorn
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Illinois doesn’t play with a shot clock but some tourneys in Illinois did use them this year. So Simeon possibly did play with one if they were in one of those tourneys… the one down here they did not play in but it made the holiday tournament insanely better.

Can't go from no shot clock to shot clock and it not bother you some. 

Edited by btownqb

Simeon was 32-4 this year. It's hard to understand how good those two HS teams are. Both would give Ben Davis all they want. 

I’ve seen Simeon play multiple times and they are the real deal. On back to back nights they beat top 10 Xavier Booker and his Cathedral team by 13 then beat top 5 Justin Edwards and his Imhotep team 53-51. They frustrated Justin Edwards and at least for that night he wasn’t even top 100. I wasn’t impressed at all. That could’ve just been Simeon being that good. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, btownqb said:

For sure sticking with my Yogi comparison, as well. 

I saw someone compare him to Galloway.   I feel like Galloway and Yogi and pretty far apart in comparison.  Can you break down a comp for me?  I've watched a few highlights and thought he was definitely farther along than a freshman Hulls.  

13 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I saw someone compare him to Galloway.   I feel like Galloway and Yogi and pretty far apart in comparison.  Can you break down a comp for me?  I've watched a few highlights and thought he was definitely farther along than a freshman Hulls.  

I actually said Galloway similarly during his game because

1. He drew two charges, almost three..

2. He PUSHED the ball... Galloway and Yogi both share that quality. 

3. In the open court you can simply see how special he can be with the ball.. LEGIT passer.. Yogi and TG share that quality. 

4. He had a legit pull up game, even from 3.. you could tell Simeon altered a couple of those shots/regular spots he gets to later in the game.. with their length. 

Yogi had that skill, struggled with it as a FR, Cupps will too... TG does not have that capability, imo, at all. 

Shot was a tick flat, at times.. needs 10lbs QUICK. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I've love to celebrate this but it seems more important to mourn a 30% from distance tweener who dominated the Ivy League but decided to not play at IU. :coffee:

Seriously, looking forward to seeing this kid in Bloomington.

Yeah, not getting Ledlum definitely stinks, but our fanbase is sleeping on this kid. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1