2023 PG Gabe Cupps Commits to Indiana

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I don't think talking about Smith's lack of height is exactly "belittling" him, it's just a fact in the comparison...

Both Smith and Loyer had good freshman years, but that doesn't take away from the fact that they're both physically limited as we exposed last year... 

it was kind of a play on words. I was just saying not to sell the kid “short”…but also say he really performed well and I think he has proven he answered any critics about whether he can perform at this level. He will have his “short comings” but I don’t think his physical attributes will hold him back against a kid like Cupps…they will be fun to watch! I think Cupps has an advantage with his 3pt shooting over Smith…but physically I don’t see that being much of an advantage. Smith held up just fine…sure he wasn’t going to be able to go toe to toe with basically a gifted lottery pick like JHS but we don’t have that guy on our team this year.

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

sure he wasn’t going to be able to go toe to toe with basically a gifted lottery pick like JHS but we don’t have that guy on our team this year.

You don't think XJ is as good as JHS in the defensive end? Really? Come on... JHS was a great player for us, but if he had a weakness, it was on D... XJ is a killer on the ball guy, and Galloway is above average... 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

No. But he's still better. 

That is still up for debate…I certainly hope that to be the case…but that is something that can’t be determined until Cupps plays at this level. We think it…but that doesn’t just make it so. I hope Cupps plays as well as I think he will. We absolutely will need him backing up XJ…pg imo is like a QB in football…they just are soo important to getting everyone in the right page, making the right decisions on who gets the ball and where they get it on the floor…and are the first level of defense on that end…if that breaks down teams struggle. I think Cupps will be a big reason in the future of our success. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

You don't think XJ is as good as JHS in the defensive end? Really? Come on... JHS was a great player for us, but if he had a weakness, it was on D... XJ is a killer on the ball guy, and Galloway is above average... 

I was emphasizing Smiths defensive liabilities and how he wasn’t able nor did they use him to defend against JHS. Yes the whole Purdue team struggled to shoot the ball against us…hopefully we are able to defend Edy without needing double teams as that is what killed most teams…I like Smith…he is a tough minded Indiana kid…I’m not going to minimize how good he was last year just to satisfy my desire to want Cupps to be good. Cupps will need to prove his meddle on the court just the same. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Just don’t see the point in going on about PUke guys in a thread about an IU player. 

Sorry…they’ve been linked together in comparisons since Smith picked PU and we chose to prioritize Cupps….just saying it’s finally going to play out on the floor somewhat this year and I think it will be a good battle.

10 minutes ago, dgambill said:

That is still up for debate…I certainly hope that to be the case…but that is something that can’t be determined until Cupps plays at this level. We think it…but that doesn’t just make it so. I hope Cupps plays as well as I think he will. We absolutely will need him backing up XJ…pg imo is like a QB in football…they just are soo important to getting everyone in the right page, making the right decisions on who gets the ball and where they get it on the floor…and are the first level of defense on that end…if that breaks down teams struggle. I think Cupps will be a big reason in the future of our success. 

Smith went 3-19 in two games being guarded by Trey Galloway. 

I think I'll like watching TG/XJ hound the h*** out of him for 80 mins next year... he and Edey had best figure out their PnR coverage, or we will CONTINUE to exploit that, and have a "pop" element, as well, with Ware/Maliks abilities from beyond the arc that TJD/Race did not have. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I think I'll like watching TG/XJ hound the h*** out of him for 80 mins next year... he and Edey had best figure out their PnR coverage, or we will CONTINUE to exploit that, and have a "pop" element, as well, with Ware/Maliks abilities from beyond the arc that TJD/Race did not have. 

I don't get where Ware and Malik developed a reputation as three point shooters. Last season:

Ware: 27.3%  (15-55)

Malik: 25% (2-8)

Race: 27.9% (12-43)

Most fans were screaming at the TV for Race to stop shooting threes. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I don't get where Ware and Malik developed a reputation as three point shooters. Last season:

There were audible noes being yelled at Assembly Hall when he was shooting threes.  And likely audible yeses on the road.  

We need the illusion of a chance for them to jump to 33ish.  It would do wonders for our spacing.  Without it, it's back to a paint clogging offense that I'm so ready to be done with.  I think that's why the idea or potential of Mac playing some 4 in situations is appealing.  

We shall see.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I never mentioned a reputation for them as shooters. 🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

We talked about our size advantage vs those guys on here before we played them, while we played them, and after we swept them. Until those guys suddenly get bigger I'm not worried one iota about Purdue guards moving forward. 

Regarding Gabe though to keep the thread on point. Maybe we can just call him mini TG or bigger Jordy because I see both guys in play and attitude. 

Edited by Seeking6
  • Like 2

I'll just say this about Malik and Kel'el...

In his first 19 games, Ware was shooting 31% from 3 point range... As his minutes dwindled, so did his confidence... We know things weren't right between him and Altman, and it definitely had an affect on his confidence...

The sample size on Malik is so small... Yet every kid who's talked to the HH guys say Malik is taking them and hitting them...

And it's not like these kids can't improve... Remember what Galloway shot from 3 his first 2 years? Less than 20%...

Speaking of Galloway, I forgot one part of his interview with the HH guys... They asked him about his missed dunk on Edey... He said it was a set play Woody ran for him, and he told his teammates on the bench, "I'm gonna dunk this."

The kid has brass, that's for sure... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 5

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

In his first 19 games, Ware was shooting 31% from 3 point range... As his minutes dwindled, so did his confidence... We know things weren't right between him and Altman, and it definitely had an effect on his confidence...

The sample size on Malik is so small... Yet every kid who's talked to the HH guys say Malik is taking them and hitting them...

And it's not like these kids can't improve... Remember what Galloway shot from 3 his first 2 years? Less than 20%...

Speaking of Galloway, I forgot one part of his interview with the HH guys... They asked him about his missed dunk on Edey... He said it was a set play Woody ran for him, and he told his teammates on the bench, "I'm gonna dunk this."

Ware, even at 31%, is fine... ish.. 

When you factor in, 7'2, his block rate is close to TJDs, he can play switches reasonably well.. when you compare all that to .. Race, its such a net positive.. Kel'el is absolutely a better finisher then Race (knee brace Race).. 

I think both (he and Malik) will get some high quality looks from the perimeter... if either can find confidence early, that will be key. Malik can head straight to the post if someone plays small at the 4... play 4 around 1 (some) and nothing compared to what we have the last two years.. 

I am also confident in our coaching staff, in a number of ways, in not only devleoping "shooters"... but consistently putting our guys in good spots to score. We've seen the graph of the last two seasons and our "average quality of shot" is through the roof... so, next step.. add more talent top to bottom. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

We talked about our size advantage vs those guys on here before we played them, while we played them, and after we swept them. Until those guys suddenly get bigger I'm not worried one iota about Purdue guards moving forward. 

Regarding Gabe though to keep the thread on point. Maybe we can just call him mini TG or bigger Jordy because I see both guys in play and attitude. 

Dang…where am I missing these games at? I’ve yet to see him play college basketball. We’ve seen a lot of kids in HS not reach their potential in college. Those comparisons are pretty lofty imo…I think he is capable…but I’d love to see it first before I crown him the next IU point god.

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

In his first 19 games, Ware was shooting 31% from 3 point range... As his minutes dwindled, so did his confidence... We know things weren't right between him and Altman, and it definitely had an affect on his confidence...

I like that attitude from Trey…but next time let’s see it happen. I don’t want the next 10 years being like the last…you remember that “almost dunk”. People still bringing up Vic’s missed dunk annoys me. It’s a big nothing burger unless you finish.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, btownqb said:

I never mentioned a reputation for them as shooters. 🤷‍♂️

I’m not calling you out, but you suggested we are adding an offensive dimension we haven’t had due to Ware and Malik’s abilities beyond the arc. Nothing in their history to support that. Others in the past in HSN touted Ware’s 3 point shooting. Not saying these guys can’t develop, but it’s all speculation at this point. Like my golf game, it’s the triumph of hope over experience. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I’m not calling you out, but you suggested we are adding an offensive dimension we haven’t had due to Ware and Malik’s abilities beyond the arc. Nothing in their history to support that. Others in the past in HSN touted Ware’s 3 point shooting. Not saying these guys can’t develop, but it’s all speculation at this point. Like my golf game, it’s the triumph of hope over experience. 

Sure, if you see it that way. 

It's not an opinion that we will, in fact, have an added dimension to our PnR and it not JUST be us having to get downhill with ours bigs to score... we had zerooo of that the last two seasons.. we WILL have more than zero this season.. 

To what extent that dimension is effective is one of the biggest X factors of the season. But, Malik/Ware are more advanced at this stage in their career than Race was... that isn't even close. Race can score left shoulder in the post on a smaller defender, or off reb.. thats it... and that was as a 23yr old SR...

Also.. Malik/Ware aren't being developed by Archie 🤣🤣 

14 hours ago, btownqb said:

"complimenting skill as he shows great hands with nice touch out to the arc."

A scout's view of Kel'el Ware, who did in fact, play basketball before arriving at Oregon. 

I have no clue.. can he shoot or no? 

HoosierSportsNation...

Your go to place to click on a Gabe Cupps thread to watch a Kel' el Ware video. 

I love this place.  😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

6 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

HoosierSportsNation...

Your go to place to click on a Gabe Cupps thread to watch a Kel' el Ware video. 

I love this place.  😂

I mean.. the next logical spot would be in the Kanon Catchings thread, quickly followed by "MLB season thread"... agree? 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/21/2023 at 12:26 PM, IUCrazy2 said:

What kind of shooting does the kid from Miami have?  (And did he finally make it on campus?)

Not much. He is mostly a finisher around the rim. High energy guy…glue guy that plays limited mins but just makes winning basketball plays. Expect him to avg 10-12 mins a game and have positive plus minus.

• Like 2