2023 PG Gabe Cupps Commits to Indiana

5 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

so does Cupps contribute solid rotational mins from day one or is he likely a 2nd year contributor?  

I'd say we will know that if we add a point guard in the portal. If we don't, I'd say its safe to assume he will be a Day 1 contributor. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Gabe Cupps final game:  22 points, 7 assists, 1 TO.

Final year stats:

15.4p;  4.6r;  6.1a;  2.2s;  1.9to         49% FG;  39% on 3s;  91% FT

It will be SO nice to have a 90% free throw shooter on the team.  Maybe he can teach correct form to others.

Edited by Madison22
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Madison22 said:

Final year stats:

It will be SO nice to have a 90% free throw shooter on the team.  Maybe he can teach correct form to others.

What happens if he comes here and shoots 75% on free throws? :coffee:

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Madison22 said:

Final year stats:

Don't forget the 3 steals...

On 3/19/2023 at 5:21 PM, Rogermci said:

Don't forget the 3 steals...

Couple things based on that video alone...it was cut so I am hoping the defense wasn't that terrible the whole game...but Cupps looks like he is able to create his own shot from deep (and hit it).  That is something we haven't had much of in about 7 years.

Cupps is not XJ on defense but he is above average.  The one thing he doesn't do is make mistakes.  He averaged only 1.9 turnovers a game.  In the above game he had 1 turnover which did not result in points.  The game was an extremely high level competition matching the two top teams in Ohio over the last 3 years.  I've seen him play a half dozen times.  He's a baller and probably the best "pure" high school point guard I've ever seen. He can handle the point for IU.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Rogermci said:

Cupps is not XJ on defense but he is above average.  The one thing he doesn't do is make mistakes.  He averaged only 1.9 turnovers a game.  In the above game he had 1 turnover which did not result in points.  The game was an extremely high level competition matching the two top teams in Ohio over the last 3 years.  I've seen him play a half dozen times.  He's a baller and probably the best "pure" high school point guard I've ever seen. He can handle the point for IU.

If he can put the ball in the hole from deep without having to have 10 feet of open space and be perfectly set, I am in.

40 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

Gabe Cupps named Ohio's Division 1 Player of the Year.  By PGC Basketball.

I don't know who PGC Basketball is, but I'm sure they're more legit than the Helms Committee was in the 1930's.

Gabe also Tweeted for people to vote for Trayce Jackson-Davis for player of the year, and Gabe is at Flory Bidunga's game tonight (thanks to DC2345 for that last bit of info).

This kid is awesome.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FsE8yYTXsAIIVYX?format=jpg&name=small

I'll take two, please. Thank you.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I really think we're sleeping on this kid. I think he's better then Braeden Smith, and if Smith can start and play major minutes on a Big Ten Title, BTT title and #1 seed team, then Cupps can be an effective, consistent rotation contributor for IU next season. 

I think the fact we haven’t seen IU interest linked to portal PGs is telling. Woody likes X and believes Cupps will be ready to contribute. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I think the fact we haven’t seen IU interest linked to portal PGs is telling. Woody likes X and believes Cupps will be ready to contribute. 

This. I'll keep saying the same thing. Cupps is a longer, bigger Jordy Hulls and honestly better at the same age. Seems like a natural leader to me.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I really think we're sleeping on this kid. I think he's better then Braeden Smith, and if Smith can start and play major minutes on a Big Ten Title, BTT title and #1 seed team, then Cupps can be an effective, consistent rotation contributor for IU next season. 

That's all good, he will have to get stronger and defend too, but X and Galloway will guard most teams 1st and 2nd options.  Match ups and foul situations could dictate playing time.  And if we get Timberlake, he looks strong, so he could likely play alongside him too, assuming Timberlake can defend well.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I think this is quite possible but I still have to temper my expectations.  There are 2 things that are undisputable facts, though: 1) He's a coaches son and that is almost always a positive, and 2) the young man is clearly invested (already) in the program's success.  In that regard he reminds me of Rob Phinessee before during his senior year of HS.  I'm very happy that he'll donning the candystripes soon.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

I think this is quite possible but I still have to temper my expectations.  There are 2 things that are undisputable facts, though: 1) He's a coaches son and that is almost always a positive, and 2) the young man is clearly invested (already) in the program's success.  In that regard he reminds me of Rob Phinessee before during his senior year of HS.  I'm very happy that he'll donning the candystripes soon.

His Dad is stupid smart too. REALLY REALLY GREAT basketball mind. I would actually want to bring him on staff next time we have an opening if he’d be willing to be down for recruiting

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

I also have high hopes for Cupps too. I want teams to be thinking and saying, “How did we miss on this guy, he’s good!”

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

This. I'll keep saying the same thing. Cupps is a longer, bigger Jordy Hulls and honestly better at the same age. Seems like a natural leader to me.

Cupps is more on the ball guy, compared to Jordan... just speaking about their game...

.... Yogi would be a really close comparison, in my eyes. Those two always have the ball for their teams, ball dominant guys. 

Hulls had-- Dee Davis, Colt Ryan, Verdell Jones, and Yogi manning a good portion of the "dribbles" when Hulls was on the court. 

You're absolutely right Cupps is better, especially all around... 

That isn't to take away from Jordan though! In terms of leadership.. they do seem very similar, for sure. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Cupps is more on the ball guy, compared to Jordan... just speaking about their game...

.... Yogi would be a really close comparison, in my eyes. Those two always have the ball for their teams, ball dominant guys. 

Hulls had-- Dee Davis, Colt Ryan, Verdell Jones, and Yogi manning a good portion of the "dribbles" when Hulls was on the court. 

You're absolutely right Cupps is better, especially all around... 

That isn't to take away from Jordan though! In terms of leadership.. they do seem very similar, for sure. 

I love former greats coming back to IU with aspirations to coach, especially Jordy. It would be cool to see an Asst, Coach Yogi on the bench for IU some day. That is, if he is looking to coach when his playing days are over. 

• Like 1