2023 PG Gabe Cupps Commits to Indiana

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Don't know who Ant Wright is but here is a video about our recruiting class.

I think he's former Michigan player. No clue of his actual role....but he's definitely been a Pro Woodson guy. He occasionally has some odd takes but overall I find him a good follow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I think he's former Michigan player. No clue of his actual role....but he's definitely been a Pro Woodson guy. He occasionally has some odd takes but overall I find him a good follow.

I think if you look at the class as a whole between these two and the portal guys I think it is a really good class

I think Newton and Cupps are going to contribute more than some think.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think if you look at the class as a whole between these two and the portal guys I think it is a really good class

I think Newton and Cupps are going to contribute more than some think.

Newton hasn't gotten a ton of run because of the injuries. Cupps is just a bigger stronger longer Jordy. Maybe not as dead of a shooter but in the same neighborhood. Lots of planning goes into class size and structure too. We all know 24 and 25 is loaded but the key to a solid floor program is guys like Cupps and Newton....Galloway types,etc...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Newton hasn't gotten a ton of run because of the injuries. Cupps is just a bigger stronger longer Jordy. Maybe not as dead of a shooter but in the same neighborhood. Lots of planning goes into class size and structure too. We all know 24 and 25 is loaded but the key to a solid floor program is guys like Cupps and Newton....Galloway types,etc...

Not get into this entire debate, but I don't think there much similar between Cupps and Hulls. 

Hulls was an undersized shooting guard, Cupps is a legit point guard. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Not get into this entire debate, but I don't think there much similar between Cupps and Hulls. 

Hulls was an undersized shooting guard, Cupps is a legit point guard. 

Should have clarified more. Besides their size differential I see a certain moxy or chip or confidence or whatever you want to call it. Jordy had it. Yogi did. Looks like Cupps has it as well. Shoot for all we know Cupps is going to hit the ground running like Smith and Loyer and never look back. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Should have clarified more. Besides their size differential I see a certain moxy or chip or confidence or whatever you want to call it. Jordy had it. Yogi did. Looks like Cupps has it as well. Shoot for all we know Cupps is going to hit the ground running like Smith and Loyer and never look back. 

Gotcha, thanks for clarifying. Completely agree on that. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

GC is another guy I’ve been observing over at the Mike Woodson camp. We’re going to grow to love this guy. Other fan bases will grow to hate him. 

I'd be overjoyed to have a Jay Burson/Aaron Craft type on the team - and Gabe could very well be the guy.  I think McNeeley would be another guy our fans would love and others would hate.

Edited by Zuckerkorn
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

GC is another guy I’ve been observing over at the Mike Woodson camp. We’re going to grow to love this guy. Other fan bases will grow to hate him. 

I've been waiting for a good old fashioned prick since Will left. I've always though the best teams have that one guy....

Edited by Seeking6
  • Like 6

19 hours ago, dgambill said:

I suspect him and Braeden Smith will have some pretty epic back n forths. Both seem to be very similar in skill/demeanor. Excited to get him on the court.

Fairly certain Cupps is supposed to be a little bit more than Smith in skill 🤷🏻‍♂️, and is slightly taller/bigger right?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Does it matter? Smith was all big ten honorable mention and big ten freshman team. Is Cupp going to be that?? Let’s not sell Smith “short”.

Cupps won't start or get the minutes that Smith did last year... Smith got those advantages out of necessity...

Starting next year, we'll get to see who's better head to head

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Cupps won't start or get the minutes that Smith did last year... Smith got those advantages out of necessity...

I predict IU wins the head to head again.  Neither are the difference maker.  Purdue still wins conference.  

On 7/14/2023 at 7:28 PM, IUFLA said:

All I mean is that we don’t have to “belittle” one kid to praise another. I think Cupps is a fine addition to our team but regardless what Smith accomplished last year was impressive. Regardless if it was out of necessity he made the most of his opportunity. I also don’t think he is going to get worse…he is only going to improve. I think he is a great ball player and just as much a bulldog on the floor as Cupps. I think they will have some epic battles over the next few years.

9 hours ago, dgambill said:

All I mean is that we don’t have to “belittle” one kid to praise another. I think Cupps is a fine addition to our team but regardless what Smith accomplished last year was impressive. Regardless if it was out of necessity he made the most of his opportunity. I also don’t think he is going to get worse…he is only going to improve. I think he is a great ball player and just as much a bulldog on the floor as Cupps. I think they will have some epic battles over the next few years.

I don't think talking about Smith's lack of height is exactly "belittling" him, it's just a fact in the comparison...

Both Smith and Loyer had good freshman years, but that doesn't take away from the fact that they're both physically limited as we exposed last year... 

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I don't think talking about Smith's lack of height is exactly "belittling" him, it's just a fact in the comparison...

Both Smith and Loyer had good freshman years, but that doesn't take away from the fact that they're both physically limited as we exposed last year... 

Smith is a dwarf and Loyer is an elf.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4