2023 PG Gabe Cupps Commits to Indiana

17 hours ago, Purdue7 said:

Smith had a win share/40 of .174

That is Yogi’s career average 

Stats are for nerds and this is an example why.  Yogi would have eaten Smith for lunch.  The win share stat is lame as hell because it all revolves around your team winning and you being on the floor.  Every Purdue player (and most Indiana players this year) has an inflated win share because of 1 guy on the team.

Yogi>Smith and it isn't even close.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Stats are for nerds and this is an example why.  Yogi would have eaten Smith for lunch.  The win share stat is lame as hell because it all revolves around your team winning and you being on the floor.  Every Purdue player (and most Indiana players this year) has an inflated win share because of 1 guy on the team.

Yogi>Smith and it isn't even close.

Never said smith was in Yogi’s class 

Saying Cupps is way better than Smith is quite a take 

23 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

Saying Cupps is way better than Smith is quite a take 

Well, Gabe will certainly get more NIL money :) 

@Billingsley99 made the observation that Cupps was better than Smith some time ago...And he's got a coaching background...I'll take his word for it...

Edited by IUFLA

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Well, Gabe will certainly get more NIL money :) 

@Billingsley99 made the obeservation that Cupps was better than Smith some time ago...And he's got a coaching background...I'll take his word for it...

$400K is what Pack went for 

could you imagine him in candy stripes…..I sure could in gold & black 

FF for $400K.  That’s a bargain 

Last evening was the first time I've seen GC play and it was a "split decision" for me.  The good part is that it's clear he's active on both ends and has that "floor general" vibe about him.  It's also pretty obvious that he's had good coaching and learned from it.

Obviously his shooting performance was unimpressive.  Maybe just an off night or perhaps the result of playing against a highly athletic opposing team.

It made me think of the only time I ever saw Perea play before suiting up in C&C - it was a similar HS national tournament.  That was when I realized the guy (HP) was an extraordinary athletic with little basketball skill (likely due to subpar coaching).  GC is kind of the opposite but will likely need time to adjust and get stronger.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Last evening was the first time I've seen GC play and it was a "split decision" for me.  The good part is that it's clear he's active on both ends and has that "floor general" vibe about him.  It's also pretty obvious that he's had good coaching and learned from it.

Obviously his shooting performance was unimpressive.  Maybe just an off night or perhaps the result of playing against a highly athletic opposing team.

It made me think of the only time I ever saw Perea play before suiting up in C&C - it was a similar HS national tournament.  That was when I realized the guy (HP) was an extraordinary athletic with little basketball skill (likely due to subpar coaching).  GC is kind of the opposite but will likely need time to adjust and get stronger.

I thought the same thing...His shot selection was, in my mind, poor...But I did like other parts of his game...

Just not sure he's going to be the contributor some think right off the bat...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

I thought the same thing...His shot selection was, in my mind, poor...But I did like other parts of his game...

Just not sure he's going to be the contributor some think right off the bat...

Agree.  I had to chuckle when the announcers brought up Damon Bailey when speaking about Cupps, but to their credit they did acknowedge he might not be the scorer Damon was...lol.

• Like 3

My observation of Cupps is that he is willing to do whatever is needed to help his team. He does not need to be the alpha, but it’s in him if needed. I am excited to see him get to campus. It’s already apparent that he’s a big fan of IU, and will be a nice ambassador in that respect. I for one would not sleep on him. I figure he will be a freshman that will be hard to keep off the court. 

3 minutes ago, Between2Halls said:

My observation of Cupps is that he is willing to do whatever is needed to help his team. He does not need to be the alpha, but it’s in him if needed. I am excited to see him get to campus. It’s already apparent that he’s a big fan of IU, and will be a nice ambassador in that respect. I for one would not sleep on him. I figure he will be a freshman that will be hard to keep off the court. 

But will he make Bardo’s all freshman team?

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

Coaches son means he’s old for his class and knows fundamentals 

Knows to listen to authority and play his role 

if you had 13 coaches sons life would be a dream for the coaches 

PS. Jaden Ivey must have skipped all those lessons 

I wonder who taught James Blackmon, Jr. how to play defense?  Never mind.

• Haha 1