General cooking thread.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Admittedly we've cooked wings every possible way besides in the crock pot. Need to save some time on Sunday and basically need to do a set it and forget it before SB. I'm looking at a recipe that basically says throw them in cover with preferred wing sauce and on low for 3 hours? Broil for 5-10 minutes to get crispy.

Anyone have any suggestions? Or just this simple?

I've never done them in crockpot but something I have started recently is preheating my baking sheets. I have trouble with wings sticking. 

I haven't broiled wings in the oven recently but oiling and preheating my pans has helped with other meat and vegetables.  I think they make nonstick foil too. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I've never done them in crockpot but something I have started recently is preheating my baking sheets. I have trouble with wings sticking. 

I haven't broiled wings in the oven recently but oiling and preheating my pans has helped with other meat and vegetables.  I think they make nonstick foil too. 

I never have tried them that way either...going to give it a go and see what happens. All the other cooking tools will be occupied so crockpot it is.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Naturalhoosier said:

I’ve always done wings in the air fryer. About 30-35 mins, then pull and toss.  They are super crispy.  I’ve always eaten them immediately but I bet they could then be kept warm in a crock pot. 

Do you use baking soda on them? And what temp? 

11 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Do you use baking soda on them? And what temp? 

I’ll spray the basket with cooking spray to keep them from sticking.

380 for 25 minutes (shaking every 5 minutes).  400 for an add’l 5-15 depending on wing thickness.  I generally do 10 mins.

I’ve not heard of using baking soda, what’s the thought there?

Edited by Naturalhoosier

19 minutes ago, Naturalhoosier said:

I’ll spray the basket with cooking spray to keep them from sticking.

380 for 25 minutes (shaking every 5 minutes).  400 for an add’l 5-15 depending on wing thickness.  I generally do 10 mins.

I’ve not heard of using baking soda, what’s the thought there?

Changes the pH of the skin and supposedly makes them crispier... Copied this from an article about it...

"Baking soda is alkaline, so it raises the pH level of chicken skin, breaking down the peptide bonds and jumpstarting the browning process, meaning the wings got browner and crispier faster than they would on their own."

@mrflynn03 is our resident biologist...maybe he can expound more... 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Changes the pH of the skin and supposedly makes them crispier... Copied this from an article about it...

"Baking soda is alkaline, so it raises the pH level of chicken skin, breaking down the peptide bonds and jumpstarting the browning process, meaning the wings got browner and crispier faster than they would on their own."

What’s the application process? Lightly tossed in it?  Sprinkle a tad?  Coat it like flour?

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

So two things are happening.  Baking soda is used as a catalyst to speed up hydrolysis.  Hydrolysis is the process where peptide bonds are broken. Peptide bonds are very strong bonds that link amino acids together into funtional protein chains. It takes an enzyme or catalyst and time and/or heat to break protein bonds. 

Once the bonds are broken you have free amino acids. So the protein structure of the skin is weaker and less resistant to heat. 

The other part is browning. The free amino acids react with the sugars that are present in a chemical reaction called the Maillard reaction which happens to work best in higher pH conditions. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

@Seeking6 couldn't remember where you talk about your service projects but I know it talks about food and recipes and this made me think of you.

https://parade.com/1018298/kristamarshall/easy-canned-black-bean-recipes/

Thanks for sharing and we love stuff like this. Any crowd recipes or foods for 100 on the cheap feel free to share.

Actually just finished menu for Monday and black beans are part of the spanish rice we'll be making as well as kidney beans. Beans are a staple of most food pantries and there are so many ways to use them! Thanks again!

• 2 months later...

Since this morning has various conversations about language learning with dirty words and Nigeria, I’ll put this here. Somewhat of a rice affictionato, (favorite is Indonesian fried rice) but Jollof rice is a favorite in Nigeria! Don’t tell MM but Sister Deborah prefers Ghana Jollof 

Maybe because one of the main ingredients of Ghana Jollof is

IMG_0032.thumb.jpeg.08e759f83e3f2d1bf3744152fccebeeb.jpeg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

Anyone done steaks in a Big Green Egg? Planning on getting one this summer, went over to my cousin’s house for the NHL playoffs over the weekend, and oh boy they were perfect 

Big Green Eggs can do as good a steak as anything as long as you can get the initial heat to searing temp... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

Nothing like getting the bat signal at 3pm EST for a 7pm meal. Group that was supposed to cook tonight for this Church in Indy had to back out. 70 people in 3-4 hours....pray that Walmart has a healthy amount of Pasta, Marinara, Meatballs, and Garlic Toast. 

Nothing like Italian for crowds on the cheap. 

• Like 1

On 5/15/2023 at 2:52 PM, Seeking6 said:

Nothing like getting the bat signal at 3pm EST for a 7pm meal. Group that was supposed to cook tonight for this Church in Indy had to back out. 70 people in 3-4 hours....pray that Walmart has a healthy amount of Pasta, Marinara, Meatballs, and Garlic Toast. 

Nothing like Italian for crowds on the cheap. 

How did it go?

• 1 month later...

Doing another meal in a couple of weeks. Doing a Cajun themed meal with Red Beans and Rice. Looking for suggestions to balance the plate out...so far creamed corn, slaw, and cornbread seem to be the easiest/cheapest for crowd of 100.

Anyone know of other ideas? I'd like to add Andouille Sausage (I think that's how you spell) but trying to keep costs in order if possible. Just curious for any of the cajun cuisine folks on here.

17 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Doing another meal in a couple of weeks. Doing a Cajun themed meal with Red Beans and Rice. Looking for suggestions to balance the plate out...so far creamed corn, slaw, and cornbread seem to be the easiest/cheapest for crowd of 100.

Anyone know of other ideas? I'd like to add Andouille Sausage (I think that's how you spell) but trying to keep costs in order if possible. Just curious for any of the cajun cuisine folks on here.

Dirty rice, boudin balls and collard greens are big at the Cajun restaurants around here...

I know you guys try to keep costs down, but of the above, dirty rice and collards are pretty cheap to make... Good luck... 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Dirty rice, boudin balls and collard greens are big at the Cajun restaurants around here...

I know you guys try to keep costs down, but of the above, dirty rice and collards are pretty cheap to make... Good luck... 

Thanks! Will look into those options as well. We try to show the people at the church and donors that for $300 we can feed 75-100 people. So far we've been pretty close. Sometimes a little under sometimes a little over.

Finally got our guy Fred Glass to give the go ahead and now we get Gleaner's donations 2x a month. Thanks again!

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Friend of mine down south sent me this. Emeril’s red beans and rice  probably a bit more than what you’re looking for but I liked how he extended the protein with a ham hock. Corn bread and slaw are good sides.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Friend of mine down south sent me this. Emeril’s red beans and rice  probably a bit more than what you’re looking for but I liked how he extended the protein with a ham hock. Corn bread and slaw are good sides.

Thanks! I'm pretty new to the crowd cooking so my biggest problem is finding out how much sausage or shredded chicken we need to add as a compliment to red beans and rice. Appreciate the recipe!