General cooking thread.

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

So what I found out about pellet smokers, they all work about the same.  Pit boss actually has thicker steal than traeger.  Traeger is just more expensive and was out front in marketing.   

"Traeger" to me = any pellet smoker. 

IDGAF if it's got the biggest name or not haha

• Like 1

We went to Sullivan's Garden 2 Saturday's ago for their annual Big Egg Grill Fest. $40 for all you can eat and drink....70 Big Egg's going at the same time.

Great food but no way are they worth the coin.

For those ever looking to get smokers on the cheap. Garage or Estate Sales are always a good place too. You'd be amazed what you can find on the cheap in Estate Sales.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

We went to Sullivan's Garden 2 Saturday's ago for their annual Big Egg Grill Fest. $40 for all you can eat and drink....70 Big Egg's going at the same time.

Great food but no way are they worth the coin.

For those ever looking to get smokers on the cheap. Garage or Estate Sales are always a good place too. You'd be amazed what you can find on the cheap in Estate Sales.

I would have stayed until I was hungry again haha 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, btownqb said:

"Traeger" to me = any pellet smoker. 

IDGAF if it's got the biggest name or not haha

I just did a marketplace search around Columbus.  I'd just buy that one off of Amazon or search locally, especially this weekend.  Probably some sales at lowes, HD, or menards.  Could always get a lowes or HD gift card at kroger/jcay to Jack up your fuel points.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I just did a marketplace search around Columbus.  I'd just buy that one off of Amazon or search locally, especially this weekend.  Probably some sales at lowes, HD, or menards.  Could always get a lowes or HD gift card at kroger/jcay to Jack up your fuel points.  

Dude around Charlestown (dammit I was there Saturday) is selling a next-to-new one for hopefully $200. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Dude around Charlestown (dammit I was there Saturday) is selling a next-to-new one for hopefully $200. 

One in Clarksville with a stuck auger. $100  Happens all the time.  Just have to remove everything and suck it out with shop vac, reassemble.  

But yeah, menards has a very similar to Amazon pit boss.  Lowes and HD are selling this with great reviews.  350.  

Your friend has shared a link to a Home Depot product they think you would be interested in seeing:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Z-GRILLS-573-sq-in-Wood-Pellet-Grill-and-Smoker-PID-Bronze-ZPG-L6002B/313509161

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

As kind of a hobby slash whatever I always comb facebook market sales or estate sales. So many heirs don't actually know what they have and they just want cash. Easy to use for yourself or flip it for beer $ for the week.

I did a quick Facebook marketplace search for Charlestown and this popped up. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/107947562567063/smokers/

Especially in our neck of the woods the deals on patio furniture and grills/smokers is peak this time of year. Good luck!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

As kind of a hobby slash whatever I always comb facebook market sales or estate sales. So many heirs don't actually know what they have and they just want cash. Easy to use for yourself or flip it for beer $ for the week.

I did a quick Facebook marketplace search for Charlestown and this popped up. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/107947562567063/smokers/

Especially in our neck of the woods the deals on patio furTiture and grills/smokers is peak this time of year. Good luck!

Facebook marketplace has some really solid deals on stuff lol 

Especially if you just catch that one specific person, selling that one specific thing you want. You can get some great deals. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

One in Clarksville with a stuck auger. $100  Happens all the time.  Just have to remove everything and suck it out with shop vac, reassemble.  

But yeah, menards has a very similar to Amazon pit boss.  Lowes and HD are selling this with great reviews.  350.  

Your friend has shared a link to a Home Depot product they think you would be interested in seeing:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Z-GRILLS-573-sq-in-Wood-Pellet-Grill-and-Smoker-PID-Bronze-ZPG-L6002B/313509161

Stuck Auger is a pretty easy fix? 

I might try and talk him down to $70-75. 

My thing.. I have an electric smoker, blackstone, and a regular $60 charcoal grill from Walmart... just don't want to spend much on one of these. Now.. the $350 is a very solid deal, and I for sure might still go for it, especially once I speak to my wife.... 

That would be the most I want to spend right now, though.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Stuck Auger is a pretty easy fix? 

I might try and talk him down to $70-75. 

My thing.. I have an electric smoker, blackstone, and a regular $60 charcoal grill from Walmart... just don't want to spend much on one of these. Now.. the $350 is a very solid deal, and I for sure might still go for it, especially once I speak to my wife.... 

That would be the most I want to spend right now, though.  

It's disassemble the hopper and pull out the auger.  Put it back together.  30 mins or so.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Last night last kicked off . "Boil Season" around here... I stick to shrimp and or crab... No "mudbugs." Too much work, not enough reward 🙂...Shrimp solo last night... PXL_20240226_023211608.thumb.jpg.d9fb9894d82de6b7fba2f94dec866fb6.jpgPXL_20240226_023626181.thumb.jpg.7c9f859ed2063bd645fc15b8f30d61cc.jpg

My wife liked it so much anointed me "Shrimp Boil King of Montgomery County" 😁

Shes just being nice, I think... 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Anyone else eat ; stuff a glass with cornbread then drown it with milk. Spoon it out in pure delight?

Crumbled up in some good ol' Navy bean soup (that had been cooked with a ham hock in it ;) )

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Crumbled up in some good ol' Navy bean soup (that had been cooked with a ham hock in it ;) )

Yes of course, but those dishes are enjoyed at different type occasions in the finer dining palate of above average rednecks. 

Also, your entry is NEVER done before locking yourself into a, enclosed cockpit for 3-4 hours. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

I distintly remember trying his and spitting it out into his cup and him cracking up laughing at me.  I was probably 4.  

Ummm yea. I couldn’t handle the butttermilk either. 
I honestly hadn’t seen it in indiana since I was 4-5-6 yrs old. It seems to be bigger here in da south. I picked up a quart and 6 months ago just as a shout out to Gramma. I made it through 3-4 drinks. Then poured some out for gramma.  Like all of it actually lol

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Ummm yea. I couldn’t handle the butttermilk either. 
I honestly hadn’t seen it in indiana since I was 4-5-6 yrs old. It seems to be bigger here in da south. I picked up a quart and 6 months ago just as a shout out to Gramma. I made it through 3-4 drinks. Then poured some out for gramma.  Like all of it actually lol

Use it to brine chicken...Excellent

• Like 2