General cooking thread.

14 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Doing another meal in a couple of weeks. Doing a Cajun themed meal with Red Beans and Rice. Looking for suggestions to balance the plate out...so far creamed corn, slaw, and cornbread seem to be the easiest/cheapest for crowd of 100.

Anyone know of other ideas? I'd like to add Andouille Sausage (I think that's how you spell) but trying to keep costs in order if possible. Just curious for any of the cajun cuisine folks on here.

Corn on the cob or hushpuppies are a couple more options. 

Cajun food lends itself to substitution pretty easily.  If you can't find andouille or its too expensive then regular smoked sausage works great. 

• Like 2

Any air fryers on here? Finally got one and looking for some easy/simple go to recipes and time/temp to cook? Picked up a bunch of wings to start with tonight. Everything I read says 400 for 10 minutes to defrost if frozen...transfer to bowl, season accordingly and another 12-14 minutes. 

The house loves sweet potatoes too. Curious about sliced sweet potato recipes.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Ok Air Fryer folks. Jumped on board a few weeks ago and got and honestly I'm amazed at everything you can cook in these.

I just ran across this one though that has me curious. So each week I meet a guy for farm fresh eggs. I looked this up after he told me about it and said put the eggs in basket...he said 275 degrees for 13-14 minutes and throw the eggs in ice bath for perfect hard boiled. Anyone do this before?

We've been cooking everything with it so far from farmers market stuff to wings, burgers...just curious on the eggs.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2023 at 5:28 PM, Seeking6 said:

Doing another meal in a couple of weeks. Doing a Cajun themed meal with Red Beans and Rice. Looking for suggestions to balance the plate out...so far creamed corn, slaw, and cornbread seem to be the easiest/cheapest for crowd of 100.

Anyone know of other ideas? I'd like to add Andouille Sausage (I think that's how you spell) but trying to keep costs in order if possible. Just curious for any of the cajun cuisine folks on here.

Saw this article about 38 frugal meals for your family   most of these I think would be pretty easy to scale for a crowd of 100

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anyone here partake in the meal box game? I've been a subscriber to Marley Spoon for nearly 5 years. I don't do it every week but it has really got me into cooking, I've learned to make a lot of different foods and bought a lot of cooking hardware I never owned before. 

Checking out Hello Fresh this week for a change of pace. Got a discount code for the first box.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bronkonagurski said:

Anyone here partake in the meal box game? I've been a subscriber to Marley Spoon for nearly 5 years. I don't do it every week but it has really got me into cooking, I've learned to make a lot of different foods and bought a lot of cooking hardware I never owned before. 

Checking out Hello Fresh this week for a change of pace. Got a discount code for the first box.

I'm interested.   My cousin has tried a few different ones.  I'll pick her brain and come back.  I'm weird though, I like to shop, people watch and find clearance items.  

It would be nice for like one family meal once every two weeks or something.  And learn new stuff and do different foods.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bronkonagurski said:

I haven't done meals but I have and am about to restart produce delivery from a place called misfits market. You can get fruits and vegetables that are a little dinged at discount prices. I've gotten quite a few things I can't get locally. 

• Like 1

On 8/23/2023 at 11:57 PM, NotIThatLives said:

I'm interested.   My cousin has tried a few different ones.  I'll pick her brain and come back.  I'm weird though, I like to shop, people watch and find clearance items.  

It would be nice for like one family meal once every two weeks or something.  And learn new stuff and do different foods.  

I took some before and after pictures of the first meal I prepared to show how you receive it, what it looks like, etc. The finished product was quite tasty!

20230826_204306.jpg

20230826_204639.jpg

20230826_214546.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Made a poor man's brisket yesterday. Admittedly, probably the best chuck roast I've seen.... it turned out phenomenal.. so good. 

Man, with prices and kroger having brisket deals 2 or 3 times this summer, I've been able to grab 2 at $2.99 a lb and 3.99.  Doggone roast is been around 5.99 everytime I look.  I'm like screw it, I'm splurging and get a fillet. 

Google predict blows  

Edited by NotIThatLives

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Man, with prices and kroger having brisket deals 2 or 3 times this summer, I've been able to grab 2 at $2.99 a lb and 3.99.  Doggone toast is been around d 5.99 everytime I look.  I'm like screw, I'm splurging and get a filled.  

Ironically enough, I was at Edinburgh JayC yesterday.... they had 16lbs whole briskets for $1.99lbs... 

I snatched one. 16lbs briskets $32 ... hard to beat. 

17 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Saweet!

Smoking it this weekend, no freezer space, so it's chilling in the garage fridge... picked up my 1/4 beef last week, but I just couldn't pass that up. 🤣🤣🤣

Looking for a used Traeger, also. 

Edited by btownqb

25 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Smoking it this weekend, no freezer space, so it's chilling in the garage fridge... picked up my 1/4 beef last week, but I just couldn't pass that up. 🤣🤣🤣

Looking for a used Traeger, also. 

Don't be afraid of a broken down smoker.  The rebuild kits are on Amazon, depending on what you need from motor at 25 bucks to all the guts for 75.  I've rebuilt my own and one at the firehouse.   Pretty easy really.  Just youtube and a screw driver.

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Don't be afraid of a broken down smoker.  The rebuild kits are on Amazon, depending on what you need from motor at 25 bucks to all the guts for 75.  I've rebuilt my own and one at the firehouse.   Pretty easy really.  Just youtube and a screw driver.

Hmm.. that's interesting, and a pretty cool idea. But a true smoker? or? 

I want the auto-refill. I don't want to have to keep watching it and adding coal, or wood.